Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 19:18   #16
BHPian

Re: New Toyota Century revealed

Ooh! I was so close to posting about this lovely automobile.

This car was love at first sight for me. The simplicity, Elegance and none of the In your face styling that Toyotas and Lexus' of recent past have been.

If Toyota decides to make a 50% sized photostat (or will it be too small, shall we say 70% then) of this and sell it at a reasonable price. I would love to buy it immediately.
rohitoasis is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 23:03   #17
BHPian

Century is from a century behind.
This would have looked nice,
if it were launched in the 80's but for a new design its too old.
Also, a V8 hybrid, itself sounds like they wanted to make all laugh.
I can feel the heat of woolen interiors, I think they have overworked their designers with the Crysta and fortuner.
They seriously need a vacation.
Old 10th October 2017, 23:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

People are jumping the gun on this model, it's quite a well known favourite in Japan and certainly not a mass market product. This is an example of no expense spared excess, a limo equivalent of a landcruiser. The old century had a 50 year run I believe.
avira_tk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 01:37   #19
BHPian

How much more retro could this get, even has those old fashioned curtains on the rear door windows and rear windshield.
Side profile resembles RR too much, the massive chrome grill at the front also looks inspired from the RR.
So, basically what Toyota thought was to make a car which looked like RR as that name is undoubtedly synonymous with the epitome of automobile luxury and give it the best of Toyota engineering, in the end you get a RR look alike Toyota at half the price of the latter.
Good attempt and a great car may it be, but IMHO it looks like a RR wanna be.
Anyone stepping down from that car would look like someone who wanted a RR but settled for the Toyota, so even if one spends $130000, it might not be worth it.
It's alright for the emperors, kings, billionaires to own and use things they prefer, because if it's cheap they would be labelled humble to use it, and if it isn't, well it was made for them after all and the world wouldn't care. But if someone is looking to make a statement in this cheaper substitute for the mighty Rolls Royce, he might fail to impress. If only Toyota would have tried to give this marvel it's own unique design and identity.

Last edited by wrongturn : 11th October 2017 at 01:43.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 06:51   #20
Team-BHP Support

This is the kind of luxury that blends well on Japanese roads. And I won’t be surprised if this car is available only in black.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 10:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Again another odd one out here.

I love this simple classic design with all the right modern touches. This car reminds me of the last modern classic that was available on sale, as per my knowledge, the Bentley Arnage (I used to lust after the old Bentleys and hate the modern ones).

If I was asked to choose, I would pick the Arnage or this Toyota Century over any Rolls Royce model available now. I am a little confused about this hybrid and yet V8 5L engine.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 10:18   #22
Team-BHP Support

Call me crazy but I actually found it quite charming looking.

"3. The longest car in production without any updates (1967-1997)"
LOL - why am I not surprised Toyota has bagged that mantle with a product.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th October 2017 at 10:20.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 10:26   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
"3. The longest car in production without any updates (1967-1997)"
I really doubt that title. Surely the Japanese haven't heard of a car called - the Ambassador.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 12:48   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I quite like it in a 'gangster-ride' sort of way. Black car with black tints and everyone will move out of your way.

This car is a reminder that Toyota does simple designs the best. When they try to get 'creative', it ends up with disasters like these:

Sometimes, Toyota tries too hard, just like actor Govinda in his hey days. GAWDY:
New Toyota Century revealed-fashiondisasters652x4001_1441198428.jpg
Image Source

Last edited by GTO : 11th October 2017 at 12:49.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 13:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I quite like it in a 'gangster-ride' sort of way. Black car with black tints and everyone will move out of your way.
+1 to that

Quote:
Sometimes, Toyota tries too hard, just like actor Govinda in his hey days. GAWDY
The truth is that both are a hit with the masses be it in their simple or gawdy avatars
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 14:50   #26
BHPian

There is a reason why the Century is the way it is, it is the ultimate Japanese Ambassador with a red light on top.
This car shouts power but in a very conservative and Japanese way, like it has nothing to prove at all. The Century is one of the most interesting cars in the world, just no quirky yet attractive.
For example, it has cloth seats because the Japanese don't like squeaks made by leather. It also likely has a rice cooker in the back.
I know what car I would like if I become a Yakuza boss.
Doge is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 00:36   #27
BANNED

To each his own, I personally find a distinct charm in such designs and may even buy one if given an opportunity. Being a Toyota, one thing I will be assured of is that even if it will be able to compete with those flamboyant Germans, it still will be reliable as a brick and I won't be robbed at service stations. I have very well experienced the ownership of their premium cars and I am quite happy with the way everything is taken care of. What can be better? You get luxury and reliability in a single 'box', something that is a rare find these days.

Coming to 5.0l hybrid, well, even a 2.0 running at higher revs/shorter gears would have done the job but then what is luxury if there is no sue of the word 'excess'? You think Rolls Royce needs those monstrous engines? They don't but when it comes to doing 100 kph at near idle speeds, only bigger engines can do that. Run the engine at higher speed and the noise will filter into the cabin,so better to have a big boy do lesser work than a rickety one going breathless (Corolla diesel anyone?).

Overall, going by the price point, if this car costs say 75% of what a S class does, it makes sense, though for very few people, but it does.

Coming to cloth covers, a premium one is any day welcome as compared to leather, I personally prefer to have fabric on the points of contact on the seat, else summer heat does make its presence felt and so does the chill of winters

Last edited by VKumar : 12th October 2017 at 00:37.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 00:48   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I may go against the tide here when I say I really like the design. "For those who came in late"® this is not a new car. The Toyota Century has been in the market since decades - but mostly sold only in Japan. A few of these Century's also made it to India - I remember seeing one a few years ago. I used to always wonder what car this was since it never carried the Toyota logo anywhere in it. And it did look so luxurious then. Take a look at the older models of the Toyota Century and you will believe it that this was how the Century would eventually evolve (irrespective of the Phantoms existence).

Toyota should have added a disclaimer "Any resemblance to the Rolls Royce is purely coincidental"

New Toyota Century revealed-1280px1967_toyota_century_01.jpg

New Toyota Century revealed-280px1997_toyota_century_01.jpg
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 01:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Century user base are generally uber rich patriotic Japanese old customers, who wouldn't want any bit of flashiness in their ride. They won't spend their money on a foreign brand either, wherein the money goes out of their country (Hence wouldn't even want to be seen in a Rolls)

Not all designs are made to appeal to a crowd that is looking for something trendy. There are many buyers, not wiling to buy something remotely flashy (just like a "proper" tuxedo")

Infact Toyota needs to do something about bringing back the understated no-nonsense elegance back to its Lexus LS range (or create a new range) as well.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 02:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks serious, regal, understated and imposing: all necessary checkboxes ticked for carrying royalty and traditional leaders of wealth and industry in Japan! Flashy and scandalous designs probably dont figure well for such clientele.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed