Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 07:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Toyota Century revealed

Can no longer say going against the tide, as I see quite a few members have appreciated the design. I really like it too.
As I travel frequently to Tokyo, have got a chance to sit in one of these. It was among the best 'sitting in a car' experiences I have ever had.
It is difficult to explain. The car in question was old, but the interiors were spotless with not a speck of dirt (as is the case with most cars i have experienced in Japan - don't know how they do it). The seats were like very comfortable sofas, where you just want to sink in. It was a strange sort of a feeling, reminded of good old days and yet i can't articulate what those good old days actually were . It felt outdated, sitting inside the car, but probably one of the very very few times I have sat in another car and said to myself 'gosh, I hope I had a car like this.'
I think the design played a big role too. I still any day prefer a long straight bonnet, passenger cabins cut with straight lines with and then the slightly slopping longish boot.

Last edited by rrsteer : 12th October 2017 at 07:34.
rrsteer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 11:27   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be going against TeamBHP ethics, but I refrained from posting the news earlier as i didn't want one of my favorite cars to be ripped apart and called as "70s retro car", "living in the past lazy design", "wannabe Cadillac/Rolls Royce: etc.

Good to see fellow TBHPians appreciating the model for what it is. Felt like a letdown when I came to know the previous generation was stopped in 2016, but good to see Toyota continuing their tradition with an all new model.

Now as a fan of the previous version I can only rue the fact that the old 4 spoke steering wheel is gone. Though have to admit the new one looks regal, and is not a wannabe sporty steering wheel like all others are doing now.

Also in an era where everyrhing is covered in light coloured leather interiors, the woolen ones are like a whiff of fresh(old?) air.
Options are there for both leather and woolen, but the Japanese feel the leather may make undignified noises at times

P.S Also The Century has been doing airline style rear seats way before the europeans had.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 12:04   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

That looks elegant like , er, things!
If its being called out for design philosophy, then one should also do the same for the current RRs. They have more or less the same lines, dont they, as the Century.
Old 12th October 2017, 13:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
I might be the odd one here but I really like how Toyota decided to reverse the clock a bit. The boxy designs of the past were clearly more subtle and yet classy compared to the curvier ones of today.
The elegant smooth lines with sharp creases gave the car a more mature and timeless identity.
I understand how today's cars are more aerodynamic than their boxier counterparts but one cannot deny that these boxy designs on these streched sedans make thm look and feel premium and superior in a way.
I agree. I dig this design a lot. There is a certain grace in in its appearance and it looks extremely stately also. I hope this car does well in its intended market.
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 13:21   #35
BHPian

I really like the design (Not quiet sure about the Woolen Interiors though !) . Exterior is pure elegance in black.
Looks like a Cadillac of their prime.

Much much better than Toyota's new design philosophy (Read so called 'Spindle Design' of Lexus)

Don't we think old Mercs and BMW's look better when compared to their newer iterations, even though they are boxy ?

Last edited by Asish_VK : 12th October 2017 at 13:23.
Old 12th October 2017, 13:41   #36
BHPian

Striking resemblance to the RR Phantom, not in a nice way. Sure the design has classic lines.
It is like a car in a science fiction movie form the 70's. Has the tech in old school design.

I did not like the wool interiors, make it look dated.
Old 12th October 2017, 13:50   #37
BHPian

Hats off to Toyota. One needs guts to carry on with a tradition like the Century. And while i haven't seen one in person, i bet i would love it. The Japanese emperor rides in one, and that's all that matters to Toyota; and that is how it should be.

Given a choice, i would buy this one, albeit it should come with its own parking lot.
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 14:33   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
I would get this in a heartbeat.
Me too. Not new though. But I totally wouldn't mind considering a used example. On the other hand, I wouldn't touch the Rolls (new and used.) I don't see mechanically folding displays. Looks like it has one less thing waiting to breakdown. Simple and straightforward.

It's a bit toned down compared to the Rolls and I like that. Old-school curtains and all. I'd just replace the wool with leather.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 12th October 2017 at 14:40.
Old 12th October 2017, 14:56   #39
BHPian

Looking at the replies, perhaps HM should've restarted production of their Contessa, in multiple wheelbase versions - long / longer / longest; kept the mechanical stuff simple and sold it as bare shell interiors!!
Buyers should be given options to customize interiors, etc. to the maximum extent possible, similar to Rolls.

Perhaps, it would've given them a niche in the Indian automobile market and kept the company alive.
Old 12th October 2017, 15:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Looking at the replies, perhaps HM should've restarted production of their Contessa, in multiple wheelbase versions - long / longer / longest; kept the mechanical stuff simple and sold it as bare shell interiors!!
Buyers should be given options to customize interiors, etc. to the maximum extent possible, similar to Rolls.

Perhaps, it would've given them a niche in the Indian automobile market and kept the company alive.
Good thought.
Mechanically simple stuff like a leaf spring suspension lasts well over poor roads.
But, can it hold a candle to the Air Suspensions/Multi Link ones in Luxo Barges? No, not a chance.
Can a mechanically simple ladder/basic monocoque frame pass a crash test? Not a chance again.

Mechanical simplicity really looks good on a humble Land Rover Defender. But, on a luxury vehicle? I am not too sure.

Second, HM just does not have the finesse to build a luxury product.
When they were active, they could not even even build a basic rust free economy vehicle, let alone provide any luxury.
Old 12th October 2017, 15:41   #41

I guess I am a bit old fashioned, but i seem to like this design quite a bit. It has an understated elegance of the classics giving you a plush and plonked look. Definitely appeals to my senses.
Old 12th October 2017, 16:26   #42
BHPian

In my humble opionion, the only shame is that Toyota's design is way too similar to Rolls Royce Phantom).

Call me old-fashioned, by I do love the boxes, and by the looks of it, the Japanese love their boxes too.

Have a look at some of their latest cars/vans -

The new Suzuki Jimny

New Toyota Century revealed-2018suzukijimnyleakedofficialimage.jpg

The 2018 Honda N
New Toyota Century revealed-hondanbox_1.jpg

and of course, the Suzuki Ignis
New Toyota Century revealed-download.jpg
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:30   #43
KMT
BHPian

Please dont compare a Contessa to a Toyota Century.

It is like comparing arack with scotch, both are alcohol but the similarity stops there.

Poor Eiji Toyoda will be turning in his grave at 5000rpm.

In a world (Japanese) where technology changes so fast and often, Toyota has been purposely keeping the Century largely unchanged.

Apparently it is a real statement in Japan to own one, heads of state, captains of industry and the like.
KMT is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 18:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Good thought.
Mechanically simple stuff like a leaf spring suspension lasts well over poor roads.
But, can it hold a candle to the Air Suspensions/Multi Link ones in Luxo Barges? No, not a chance.
Can a mechanically simple ladder/basic monocoque frame pass a crash test? Not a chance again.

Mechanical simplicity really looks good on a humble Land Rover Defender. But, on a luxury vehicle? I am not too sure.

Second, HM just does not have the finesse to build a luxury product.
When they were active, they could not even even build a basic rust free economy vehicle, let alone provide any luxury.
I agree with you, which is why I said - they should've just a reliable bare bones (of course with springs instead of leaf springs); power steering, etc. but leave the rest to the customer's choice. It should just be something that wouldn't break down in middle of the road. Then, it could've been something like a sedan version of Thar with all the mods, etc.

I guess its just wishful thinking at my end. Most of the sedan customers would not be enthusiasts like 'Thar customers' and the idea could have bombed as well.
Old 12th October 2017, 19:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
I agree with you, which is why I said - they should've just a reliable bare bones (of course with springs instead of leaf springs); power steering, etc. but leave the rest to the customer's choice. It should just be something that wouldn't break down in middle of the road. Then, it could've been something like a sedan version of Thar with all the mods, etc.

I guess its just wishful thinking at my end. Most of the sedan customers would not be enthusiasts like 'Thar customers' and the idea could have bombed as well.
Not a bad idea at all; but India maybe a few years (or even a couple of decades) away from appreciating it though. If you look at all the evolving trends, be it fashion or automobiles, it is the developed countries that get onto the 'Retro' band wagon quite easily, whereas developing markets like India and China are still guided largely by the trends coming in from the developed world. Japan is the prime example of a country that has access to every imaginable modern technology, but still prides itself on its old traditions and values. This 'Century' truly reflects that aspect of the Japanese mindset.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks