Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2017, 04:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show

Who says Japanese cannot design desirable cars. Mazda can. The company has revealed two concepts at the Tokyo Motor show 2017. The Kai concept envisions the next generation Mazda 3 while the Vision Coupe, which the company says is a concept only, I hope and pray it goes into production as the new Mazda 6.

Both concepts are smashingly good looking with agressive fronts, feline headlights and exquisite surface detailing with no extraneous curves or lines, no more no less. In pure design terms I feel they are as good as any from Europe.

I owned the current generation Mazda 3 and having driven it for 41k kms in less than 2 years, I can say for sure that no car in its class combines the performance, the economy, the quality and the desirability in one car in a way Mazda can. Combine those looks with Skyactiv X, a compression ignition petrol engine, a world's first and you realize here is an automaker that punches far above its weight.

More dope on the official links below.

The Kai Concept
http://www2.mazda.com/en/next-genera...odcut-concept/
Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show-mazda-kai-concept.jpg

The Vision Coupe Concept
http://www2.mazda.com/en/next-generation/design/
Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show-mazdavisioncoupepromo.jpg
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 09:19   #2
BHPian

re: Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I owned the current generation Mazda 3 and having driven it for 41k kms in less than 2 years, I can say for sure that no car in its class combines the performance, the economy, the quality and the desirability in one car in a way Mazda can. Combine those looks with Skyactiv X, a compression ignition petrol engine, a world's first and you realize here is an automaker that punches far above its weight.
Absolutely. I've travelled in a few current gen Mazda 3s and they are phenomenal cars. They feel solid and 'European' in a way no Japanese (Toyota and Honda) car has ever felt. The interiors are chic and thoughtfully designed and the whole car feels cohesive and beautifully built.
rshnvjy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 10:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Who says Japanese cannot design desirable cars. Mazda can. The company has revealed two concepts at the Tokyo Motor show 2017. The Kai concept envisions the next generation Mazda 3 while the Vision Coupe, which the company says is a concept only, I hope and pray it goes into production as the new Mazda 6.
I agree! When big name players like Toyota and Honda struggle with the new designs, Mazda is so consistent in their design language. And whats more refreshing is that their designs are not just evolutions (say like a VW). Here each generation comes up a new concept and they quite brilliantly infuse into the production models. The current Kodo design language still looks very fresh.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 10:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I agree! When big name players like Toyota and Honda struggle with the new designs, Mazda is so consistent in their design language. And whats more refreshing is that their designs are not just evolutions (say like a VW). Here each generation comes up a new concept and they quite brilliantly infuse into the production models. The current Kodo design language still looks very fresh.
Although Honda and Toyota are trying hard now, I feel they are trying a little too hard. Their recent designs, even though much better than their past efforts, are still nowhere near as classy or subtle as the Mazda's. Too many curves, too many elements, they simply wont age as well as Mazda's.

Mazda's Kodo design language has also been the most consistent at making good looking cars starting from small hatchback to a 7 seater SUV. Mazda currently do not have one bad looking car in their entire passenger car portfolio. Infact each one is right up there with the best in its class in terms of style. I dont think you can say that about too many manufacturers right now. Their car's deserve more success.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th October 2017 at 10:17.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 10:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

The vision coupe looks stunning, for sure.

But then, why did someone take a ruler and chopped off it's backside? (First Picture - KAI concept).
Looks like that would be a contender for the smallest rear overhang, in the history of Automotive design.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show

Have to agree with comments here that the design language of Mazda is a notch above the others. Won't even comment on the engine aspects.

I happened to see the Vision Coupe in person during the Tokyo Motor Show. Must say that for me personally, it was the most beautiful car I saw in the entire motor show. I was so enamored by it that I walked the entire length of the exhibition area to see it again in evening before leaving for the day.

The car is simply breathtaking gorgeous. Here are some of the dozens of pictures I took of this car from every possible angle.

Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show-side.jpg

Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show-front.jpg

Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show-frontside.jpg

Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show-rear.jpg

Mazda Kai & Vision Coupe concepts @ The 2017 Tokyo Motor Show-dooropen.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th December 2017 at 11:28.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed