Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2006, 22:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lambo to announce/launch the new LP640 Roadster Dec 7th

Just heard the LP640 Roadster is going to be previewed / lauched around Dec 7th in an autoshow, one of the most anticipated roadsters, I hope they have done something about the soft top as the Murci Roadster was the most useless roadster with its top on with 110mph as the max speed, i hope these guys know not to repeat an major error like that..

Just a place holder for when its released..
Old 29th November 2006, 11:33   #2
BHPian

well ferrari 550 Barchetta only did 70 mph with top on.
anyways it's going to be a wicked ride with or without the top.
Old 29th November 2006, 22:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

isnt that shameful... dont you think, i think its a slap on the face..for such companies..

the owners I have spoken to crib about the top no end..and are really hoping for a true top this time around..
Old 29th November 2006, 22:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

and here you go..probably the first real pic of it..

Old 29th November 2006, 22:54   #5
BHPian

Well the official pics are already out, and 1Day, bad news (well I don't consider it too bad), the 100 mph limit stays. If I ever had that car, I would love to roll with the top down. And if I was using it during the day in the city, it would be impossible for me anyways to get anywhere close to a 100 mph :P
Old 29th November 2006, 22:56   #6
BHPian

Raging bull loses its head
As the Los Angeles Auto Show opens today, we know which stand we'll be rushing to first.

Lamborghini has chosen the West Coast extravaganza to unveil its Murciélago LP640 Roadster - and it's going to be difficult to miss.

Essentially the chop-top version of Lambo's outrageous LP640 Coupe, the Roadster is as subtle as a bull in dark glasses... and every bit as intimidating.

The 640, of course, refers to the horsepower produced by the Roadster's 6.5-litre V12, while LP stands for 'longitudinale posteriore', which means the engine is mounted lengthways behind the cockpit.

All of which allows the Roadster to spin up to 8,000rpm and develop a meaty 486lb ft of torque - enough to propel it to 62mph in a mere 3.4 seconds and on to a top speed of almost 200mph.

Yes, that's a fraction slower than the coupe version. But without a roof to provide at least a little protection from the deafening growl of the V12, we're betting that the driving experience will be even more intense.

Removing the roof has required Lamborghini to make some serious structural adjustments to stop the LP640 from splitting in half as it hits warp speed.

A newly designed frame structure made of steel and carbon fibre keeps the Roadster rigid, with particular reinforcement given to the engine area. Lambo will even sculpt these reinforcements out of carbon fibre if you ask nicely.

Lamborghini also reluctantly offers a canvas roof, but warns that it is only for temporary use at speeds of under 100mph. Better drive fast enough to beat the rainstorms, then.

Devotees of the raging bull will notice a few other touches unique to the Roadster. The chop-top gets a new rear diffuser, with the exhaust system integrated within a tailpipe, as well as fresh windscreen wipers, a revised rear-light cluster and the option of new Hermera alloy wheels.

Otherwise the Roadster stays true to its Coupe roots. The monster 335/30 rear tyres remain, with Pirelli Corsa tyres an option for those who want to test out the Roadster on the track.

If you're brave or stupid enough to fancy charging the Murciélago on near-slicks, the LP640 Roadster arrives in the UK in spring 2007.

The price tag? Lambo is staying coy, but we reckon it'll cost you at least £200,000 to feel the wind in your hair and 640 horses behind your back.

Sam Philip Top Gear

Old 29th November 2006, 23:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

so are you thinking of getting one
Old 30th November 2006, 06:12   #8
BHPian

i would get one in next 5 min, but for that i have to be in a postion to afford one, till that time my solara will do.
anyways this car is in a segment of it own, there is no other car that looks so good for this price with/without top down (pagani zonda-but price is lot more, ferrari 430 and gallardo spider good very good but they look very tame against this car).
it is a shame that speed is limited for this car with the top on, but most of these cars will be sold in california- sun, money and very very good looking people who would buy this car. but i can guaranty you that only 1% of the owners even know how to put the top up on this car.
Old 28th October 2008, 02:50   #9
BHPian

Hey there, this is a very dangerous car to drive. Do read our experience in the test drive section:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...xperience.html

Most Viewed