Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 17:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased

Fiat has released a new teaser video of its upcoming mid-size sedan that is set to replace the Linea. The Fiat Cronos shares its platform with the Argo hatchback which is currently sold in the South American markets.

South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased-fiatcronosteaserimage.jpg

The latest teaser video doesn’t reveal much apart from the silhouette of the Cronos other than giving a glimpse of its three-box side profile. The front fascia is likely to be carried over from the hatchback with minor revisions. The teaser video suggests that the Cronos would get wraparound headlights with LED DRLs and LED tail lights as well. Fiat hasn’t revealed the interior of the Cronos however, it might get the same basic dashboard layout as the Argo hatchback.

South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased-fiatcronosteaserimagetaillamp.jpg

The Fiat Cronos is likely to get the same range of engines as the Argo, except for the 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine. In addition to the 1.0-litre unit, the Argo is offered with a 108 BHP 1.3-litre engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and a 1.8-litre flex-fuel engine which produces 137 BHP and is available with an optional 6-speed automatic gearbox.

South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased-fiatcronosteaserimagesideprofile.jpg

The Fiat Cronos is touted to replace the Linea in the mid-size sedan segment, however Fiat hasn’t made any announcement confirming the Cronos for India.

TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 18:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased

Was Fiat Tipo not the replacement for Linea and it was even talked that even in India Linea might get Tipo as its replacement?

What could be possible elemental difference between Tipo and Cronos?
Old 16th November 2017, 18:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Was Fiat Tipo not the replacement for Linea and it was even talked that even in India Linea might get Tipo as its replacement?

I guess, you are talking about the Aegea, the Tipo is a hatchback. I guess the Tipo/Aegea twins are a bit more premium offerings.

I wonder what stops Fiat from Launching all 4 here in India, alongside the Jeep, they should make some decent if not shattering numbers. They surely can export to RHD markets too.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 09:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Fiat Cronos is touted to replace the Linea in the mid-size sedan segment, however Fiat hasn’t made any announcement confirming the Cronos for India.
Until the Jeep brand is built and settled ((in India), I don’t see them launching any new Fiat branded car. Infact I won’t be surprised if FCA thinks of launching the Alfa Romeo brand in India; A Giulia or Stelvio can bring more margins fighting it out with the big boys, and doesn’t have a brand baggage of the Fiat.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 10:14   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When manufacturers change the model name of a car (Linea vs Cronos vs Aegea vs whatever), it sure as hell gets confusing. Compare that to say, a VW Polo where the name is maintained across generations & markets - so much simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Until the Jeep brand is built and settled ((in India), I don’t see them launching any new Fiat branded car. Infact I won’t be surprised if FCA thinks of launching the Alfa Romeo brand in India
The Compass' success was a shot in the arm for FCA India. They must've figured out by now that there's no point fighting it out in the mass market segments with the big boys, and it's better to focus on the premium categories instead. They have many such products in their global portfolio.

Fiat as a brand is pretty much dead in India. Jeep & others are the way forward.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat Cronos (Linea replacement) has now been officially unveiled. The car will compete with the Volkswagen Virtus and is scheduled to go on sale in the South American markets by Q1 2018.

South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased-cronos.jpg

The Fiat Cronos shares its platform with the Argo hatchback. To differentiate it from the 5-door model, Fiat has given the Cronos a new front end. While the headlights have been carried over, the grille and front bumper have been redesigned. The grille has a smaller mesh design with a chrome strip in the middle. The front bumper houses a set of fog lamps and a large air intake with a chrome line running through it. From the A-pillar to the C-pillar, the design of the Cronos is identical to the hatchback, except for the chrome trim on the doors and door handles. The 10-spoke alloy wheels are unique to the sedan. The rear features wraparound LED tail lights and a dual-tone bumper. The Cronos is expected to share the same interior layout as the Argo.

South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased-cronos1.jpg

In the Brazilian market, the Cronos comes with the same engines as the Argo hatchback. Barring the 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine, the Cronos gets a 108 BHP, 1.3-litre petrol and a 1.8-litre flex-fuel engine which produces 137 BHP. While a 5-speed manual transmission is standard, the latter comes with an optional 6-speed automatic.

Fiat hasn’t revealed any plans to launch the Cronos in the Indian market, but it is believed that the Cronos would be an ideal candidate to replace the Linea in India.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Fiat Cronos (Linea replacement) has now been officially unveiled. The car will compete with the Volkswagen Virtus and is scheduled to go on sale in the South American markets by Q1 2018.
What happened to the famed Italian design philosophies? This looks more aligned to the designs from the Far-east – the City or a Verna; a busy exterior with way too many creases.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 14:56   #8
BANNED

Quote:
What happened to the famed Italian design philosophies? This looks more aligned to the designs from the Far-east – the City or a Verna; a busy exterior with way too many creases.
I second you sir! Looks like Fiat hired designers from Korea this time. It actually looks more Asian than Europian. Linea had a very nice and neutral design, which aged gracefully. Are they seriously making it a replacement for Linea? If its true, then it would be very sad. Atleast for me, and I guess for some of our bhp-ians too!
Simat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 18:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I guess, you are talking about the Aegea, the Tipo is a hatchback. I guess the Tipo/Aegea twins are a bit more premium offerings.
Fiat Agro/Cronos is based on a different platform than Fiat Tipo.
Tipo is based on GM Fiat Small Platform but Agro/Cronos is based on MP1 platform.

GM Fiat small platform is the one on which Punto is based.
Agro is based on Fiat Mini Platform a platform on which second generation Sienna is based.

So its Tipo/Egea and Agro/Cronos.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th November 2017 at 18:55.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 21:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the picture. The linea even though really old now, looks fantastic and is probably one of the best looking cars in the segment. This one just looks like something Hyundai would make.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 23:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
+1
The rear looks to be from the same family as the Xcent/Verna/Elantra and paste the thick chrome slat on the face - you get a Honda, with loads happening on the front
r0nit7 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 00:09   #12
BHPian

Well it definitely looks bad, going by the expectations we have from the Italians. Absolutely not even a tiny bit of Italian flair anywhere. My first reaction was that the rear looks almost the same as an Audi A3 sedan save for the tail-lights.

Out of curiosity I painted the Hyundai symbol on the front and the Korean badge definitely looks better on this design.

South America: Fiat Cronos sedan – Linea replacement teased-cronos.jpg
Shanksta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 07:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage

There are two things that are guaranteed when Fiat launches a new product:

1. It will look great.

2. It will be a failure.
Old 29th November 2017, 10:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Typical Italian flair is gone with this design. When you see this stand alone it is a not a bad design by any means, just that the Italian flair has disappeared.

If FCA decide to get this to India, they need to launch it with the 1.5/1.6 mjd and 1.4 Tjet from the beginning. Thanks to the Compass, a few hundred units of these may get sold.
Old 29th November 2017, 13:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Well it definitely looks bad, going by the expectations we have from the Italians. Absolutely not even a tiny bit of Italian flair anywhere. My first reaction was that the rear looks almost the same as an Audi A3 sedan save for the tail-lights.

Out of curiosity I painted the Hyundai symbol on the front and the Korean badge definitely looks better on this design.

Attachment 1700574
Spot on! my first reaction was it looked like an overgrown I20 from the front and a City from the rear. My Punto might feel bad for being from the Fiat stable after seeing this design.
KushKaun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks