Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Made-in-India Jeep Compass gets 5-star ANCAP rating

Australasian New Car Assessment Program(ANCAP) has crash tested the made in India Jeep Compass which is on sale in Australia and New Zealand. The SUV has managed to earn a 5-star safety rating. This ANCAP safety rating applies to all variants built from September 2017 that get dual front, chest, curtain and a driver knee airbag as standard. Features like autonomous emergency braking and lane support systems are available as option on some variants.

The body shell of the Compass retained its shape in the frontal offset crash with well-controlled pedal and wheel intrusions. The driver and passenger head and neck were rated as good in the frontal offset test, but the chest and legs were rated acceptable. The SUV scored 14.93 out of 16 in the frontal offset test. The Compass scored full points in the side barrier and the side poll tests scoring a full 16 and 2 points respectively. Whiplash protection was found to be good.

In terms of pedestrian protection, the Compass scored good or acceptable rating except for the base of the windshield and the A-pillars. It scored a total of 29.01 out of 36 points in this test.

The made in India car scored a total of 35.93 points from a maximum of 37 to get the 5-star rating. However, from 2018, the ANCAP is going to adopt standardised testing as per the Euro NCAP format and will be assessing the cars on four parameters - adult occupant protection, child occupant protection, pedestrian protection and safety assist. The lowest performing area of assessment will determine the final star rating. Earlier this year, the LHD variant of the Compass got 5 stars in the Euro NCAP test.

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 22nd December 2017 at 14:38.
blackwasp is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:32   #2
BANNED

Re: Made-in-India Jeep Compass gets 5-star ANCAP rating

This is good to see since FCA has explicitly told us that the same compass will be sold in India and all RHD markets so it would be safe to assume that the one sold in India is also equally safe unlike many offerings from Hyundai, Suzuki etc.

Since these cars are being made in India, I would love to see FCA start offering features like autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control etc. at least as an option. Would surely separate the compass from the rest of the pack.
agambhandari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Since these cars are being made in India, I would love to see FCA start offering features like autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control etc. at least as an option. Would surely separate the compass from the rest of the pack.
If I remember correct, isn't the autonomous braking, adaptive cruise control etc not offered in the Indian market due to restrictions on radar use? I remember reading it somewhere. Also, I remember reading in a review (quite possibly on Team-BHP) that the cars that would normally come with these features have the necessary hardware but are disabled since the use of these radar systems is illegal.

If this really is the case then the government will have to amend the laws. And then there's also the issue of Indian road manners which are much different from the countries where such systems are normally used.
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:54   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
If I remember correct, isn't the autonomous braking, adaptive cruise control etc not offered in the Indian market due to restrictions on radar use? I remember reading it somewhere. Also, I remember reading in a review (quite possibly on Team-BHP) that the cars that would normally come with these features have the necessary hardware but are disabled since the use of these radar systems is illegal.

If this really is the case then the government will have to amend the laws. And then there's also the issue of Indian road manners which are much different from the countries where such systems are normally used.
the frequency used by these features were earlier used by the defence forces and the use was banned. But as of now, this has been de restricted so as to allow this exact use by the cars. Volvo is currently the only manufacturer to use it and offer most of its available suite of features.

I find it hard to understand what is stopping at least the premium manufacturers from offering these features in india.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 22:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
the frequency used by these features were earlier used by the defence forces and the use was banned. But as of now, this has been de restricted so as to allow this exact use by the cars. Volvo is currently the only manufacturer to use it and offer most of its available suite of features.

I find it hard to understand what is stopping at least the premium manufacturers from offering these features in india.
Huh, that's news to me, thanks!

It could be a cost-cutting measure (at least in the non-premium segment). Since India and Indian made cars are either sold locally or exported to other similar markets (which I assume are also cost-sensitive), the manufacturers might be tempted to save a few bucks here and there. It would be very sad if this really is the case, but aggressive cost-cutting is not uncommon which might be the justificaiton used by these companies.

But I expect this to change. We've seen many positive changes such as safety features being offered as standard on many of the cheaper cars by Indian manufacturers. Who knows, maybe a few years down the line adaptive cruise control, auto braking etc will be common features here as well.
AnInternetUser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 12:36   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Happy to see one of my favourite cars get a 5-star rating. However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
that get dual front, chest, curtain and a driver knee airbag as standard
There are clearly some differences between the "India-made" & "India-sold" car . We don't get this knee airbag.

Further, in India, the 6 airbags are only available on the top 4x4 variant, meaning a majority of the Compass' sold in our country won't have a 5-star rating.

Still, it's nice to know that the structure is safe & protective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
If I remember correct, isn't the autonomous braking, adaptive cruise control etc not offered in the Indian market due to restrictions on radar use?
Related Thread.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 13:02   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

We don't get this knee airbag.

Further, in India, the 6 airbags are only available on the top 4x4 variant, meaning a majority of the Compass' sold in our country won't have a 5-star rating.

Still, it's nice to know that the structure is safe & protective.
Further I think this does not necessarily imply that the structure sold in India is identical to the one sold globally even if made in India. Though it is quite likely. If they can make a RHS to LHS change, they can surely make other changes as well.

If we remember the Tata Aria, it had certain lower 4X2 models with some structural members removed in the interest of cost and weight.

The sooner India gets it's own tests similar to Euro NCAP the better. India should just adopt one of the global standards. We would then have reports we could depend upon.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 13:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Further I think this does not necessarily imply that the structure sold in India is identical to the one sold globally even if made in India. Though it is quite likely. If they can make a RHS to LHS change, they can surely make other changes as well.

The sooner India gets it's own tests similar to Euro NCAP the better. India should just adopt one of the global standards. We would then have reports we could depend upon.
What happened to the Bharat New Car Assessment Programme that was supposed to start from last year and then was postponed to Oct 2017? We keep hearing about testing facilities being set up bu nothing actually happens.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks