BHPian

re: USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched

New video on Roxor.
findviru is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:28   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

YUCK! Is this the best that Mahindra can do? What a lame effort.

For once, we can say that India gets a better version of the same product. Mahindra also just damaged their brand as everyone can see the vehicle for what it is - a Jeep knockoff. They have harmed their reputation just like the many Chinese copycats.

And when you can get a road-legal Wrangler for not so much more money, why on earth would anyone bother with a 62 BHP / 195 Nm Jeep with a top speed of 72 kmph? That's the kind of power my Classic made in 1997 (it now has a more powerful 2.5L Bolero engine).

If I was in the USA and needed a 4x4 workhorse, I'd anyday buy:

1. A new Wrangler for more money

2. A used Wrangler for the same money

3. A used pickup truck for the same money

As an Indian, I am ashamed of this Indian product being sold in the USA.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am ashamed of this Indian product being sold in the USA.
Well said, they should have first tried to do better here rather than going into a matured market with that military grade construction, wonder what the people are going to think about the military that uses such vehicles.

What a waste of efforts & money. Had they spent the same amount on improving Thar or Bolero 4x4 they would have surely got more business & recognition here.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:47   #19
BHPian

I wouldn't go too harsh on this. It's a non street legal automobile meant for the US side-by-side market & thus not in the lines of say a Thar which shares only its tub & chassis parts.

The video comments are not being harsh to it either given it has what they like to see for its intended application. They seem just happy to see the good ole' CJ5 back in action which legally only the Mahindra can pull off.

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-rxr.jpg
SandyX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 14:49   #20
BHPian

So, bascially, to build a MANA Roxor, follow these steps:
  1. Get a Mahindra Thar DI 4x4.
  2. Remove the soft-top and its support structure, including the faux rollover hoop ("faux" 'coz it won't survive a rollover).
  3. Remove the rear seats.
  4. Remove the plastic dashboard, install a flat steel sheet in its place, transplant the gauges onto it.
  5. Remove the windshield, and chop-off the upper 80% of the windshield frame.
  6. Add a decent roll cage.
  7. (Optional) Cut out the 7-slat grille and install something grotesque in its place.
  8. Last but not the least, don't speed beyond 72 Kmph.

Tadaaa!! Your Roxor is ready.
Miel is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 17:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra continues to outdo itself in launching hideous designs. I can't remember laughing this much on just looking at a vehicle's grill.

Last edited by kiku007 : 3rd March 2018 at 17:31.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 08:46   #22
BHPian

On a positive note the US edition Thar DI appears to have decent fit and finish even better than our own Thar CRDE. The paint job looks good especially around the under body area.

As said earlier this has no chance against the Toyotas,Nissans and Jeeps there but that can be said with the current line of modern Mahindra vehicles too . Perhaps Mahindra should have included a gun holder along with the cup holder.
tomraven99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 09:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

15k for the base version, and 19k for the LE. Well - is a used street legal Jeep worse than this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Also why did they skew the front grille. The straight/flat grill looks much more nicer!
To avoid too much resemblance to the Jeep - and that too in the home of the Jeep. The origins are too obvious anyway. But any further, and they could as well send an invitation to be sued for copyright violation.

Last edited by condor : 4th March 2018 at 09:14.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 19:16   #24
BANNED

I'm hoping Mahindra have done their market research sums right - and going by SandyX's post about the video comments, that may not be too far off the mark - and may even end up garnering some sales in the parallel, non street-legal market.

A relief that M&M have finally cracked the US market after their earlier failure to do so - even if its in the "non street-legal" category!
Old 5th March 2018, 07:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Comments on Jalopnik seem to be quite positive and well received. Crude as it is, it seems to address a key gap in the segment it is aimed at.
Seems like a good job by the market research team.

It's USP would be as an open platform to modify endlessly. The PTO can have numerous aggregates that many find useful. This is where Mahindra will find success.

While Mahindra will have that ugly grill at Delivery, the after market industry is already taking measurements to make the 7 slot grill for the Roxor.

There is some Irony to this launch - Mahindra made the CJ3B's in india on CKD kits sent from US. Now Mahindra makes the Roxor in US on CKD kits made in India.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 5th March 2018 at 07:24.
14000rpm is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 12:18   #26
BHPian

wow! This is amazing.. an MM540 with a Di engine. and an "XYLO" Grill? How cool is that? Looks like the engineers from M&M read the engine swap posts from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-off-roading/ and came up with this idea. The only thing that they had to work their heads was to come with a name for this.

Lovely (Sarcasm)

Last edited by yamaniac : 5th March 2018 at 12:21.
Old 5th March 2018, 13:49   #27
BANNED

Since they used the age-old 62 BHP engine for Roxor, I assume they will launch a 140BHP engined street-legal "Thor" with proper dashboard and seats in the US at a later time. Giving some 'tips" to M&M on how to make that one "less Jeepish" than designing this kind of a grill for Roxor.

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-frontview118.jpgUSA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-frontview118_1.jpg

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th March 2018 at 13:56.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 19:26   #28
Team-BHP Support

As per a tweet the below sticker is posted on the dashboard of the Roxor.

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-img_20180305_191247.jpg

I personally find it interesting that Mahindra has a manual written about doing stupid things.

Thats exactly what they seem to be doing recently- first at the auto expo with their 'concepts' and now with the Roxor.

Why do this in the homeland of Jeep and ruin the (not so good to start with) reputation before the launch itself? God only knows. Only saving grace is that Mahindra themselves call it not road worthy, instead of the media, crash tests and reviews point it out.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 21:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

For once, I am on Mahindra's side. Launching and actually building a vehicle in the US is no easy thing to do. Mahindra has earned my respect, for sure.

The fact that an Indian logo will be on a vehicle in the US, got me excited. And I started digging up some knowledge on the subject. So pardon me if I am wrong somewhere, just reply and correct me.

First, since it looks like an on-road vehicle, people are expecting it to be as good as one. What I could get by reading online, this has confused most of the readers in US forums.

If you compare it with an on-road vehicle, its obviously not going to meet anybody's expectations. But, what is it pitched against at? Side-by-side / UTVs? How does a Side-by-side/ UTV look like? Check the attachment.

It looks solid and basic. Basically, fit for the purpose. What's the purpose?

Wiki tells me that two things common in all Side-by-sides are manoeuvring obstacles, rough terrain and haul a load. That, this thing can do. Most of us know nothing much or a little about offroading, but Mahindra for sure does.

This article says the original Jeep actually started the trend. So the Roxor is no outsider in this company. It has just brought back the old Jeep from its grave.

45mph / 72 kph is too slow? I am not sure how fast will I be able to go on rocks or jungle or in between bushes, but to me, it seems more than enough.

Like other new foreign brand, there is jingoism going on there, then the perception of poor quality because it is Indian, etc. etc. One mistook Mahindra for Tata and boldly stated that all Mahindra keep catching fire.

Some journos stated that there is nothing in the side-by-side market which looks like the Roxor. Then comes its specs. That too are not that common.

If you ask me whether I will buy a John Deere XUV835E for 12,999 or a Roxor for 15,549, I will buy the Mahindra. But, then that's just me.

Mahindra, here, has taken a bold bold step here. I wish them to succeed and win the hearts of the Americans.
Attached Thumbnails
USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-john-deere.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 21:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Really eye-popping. I bet most Indian-Americans would be relieved by the "Country of Assembly" as USA and not India. .

They should have put a simple black matt mesh grille instead...

Read that this desi gaadi will directly compete with the Polaris RZR, General and Ranger "side-by-side" off-roaders and the Kawasaki Mule. The comparable (BHP) Polaris vehicles retail for $13K - 19K and the Mule $10,199; considerably cheaper. The prices are MSRP.

And that factor removes Toyota/Nissan/Jeep/Ford/GMC out of the picture. I wonder whether these folk even heard about the Roxor.

The Polaris range has numerous models and are twin-cylinder gasoline-powered engines mated to CVT transmission, ditto is the Jap. Thus, the Roxor is a very interesting launch indeed. Dead on arrival? Farm transport recommended by Chuck Norris?

Let's wait, watch and Pray.

Edit: web links!

Polaris: Ranger here, see menu for other vehicles
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-xp-900/

Kawasaki Mule:
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-MULE-4010-4x4

Last edited by ampere : 21st March 2018 at 10:38. Reason: typo fixed
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks