Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 13:17   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
And as 1100D pointed out, the live axle at the front would endow huge off-road robustness to the Thar, compared to the IFS model - at the cost of losing a bit of ride comfort!
I am a bit confused about your use of terminology.

Without live axle, it would be a 2WD. Live axle means it has a rotating shaft that drives the wheels. Both solid axle and IFS can be live axles. The 2WD Jeeps have dead axle, that means no drive shaft within the axle.

I think you are trying to say soild axle or beam axle, which comes in both live and dead version. Thar DI comes with solid axle, which is live in 4WD version, and dead in 2WD version.

Coming back to Roxar, some offroad guys in USA compared the performance of Roxar with 1948 Willys CJ-2A. They concluded that the 1948 Willys performs better.

Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 13:32   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Without live axle, it would be a 2WD. Live axle means it has a rotating shaft that drives the wheels. Both solid axle and IFS can be live axles. The 2WD Jeeps have dead axle, that means no drive shaft within the axle.
I think you are trying to say soild axle or beam axle, which comes in both live and dead version. Thar DI comes with solid axle, which is live in 4WD version, and dead in 2WD version.
Coming back to Roxar, some offroad guys in USA compared the performance of Roxar with 1948 Willys CJ-2A. They concluded that the 1948 Willys performs better.
Thanks Samurai - you are absolutely right, that is exactly what I meant. The dead axle was a misnomer - I had been happily using the term to denote a beam axle that does not transfer power to the wheels!

Now about the Roxar's off-road competence - great video I must say! I came across a few write-ups (not from off-road guys tho'), that said the Roxar was well adapted to the rural farm slog. Not quite the same as "serious" off-roading, I must admit.

Last edited by shashanka : 13th August 2018 at 13:37.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 13:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Without live axle, it would be a 2WD.
Quote:
Thanks Samurai - you are absolutely right, that is exactly what I meant. The dead axle was a misnomer -

Actually you folks can blame me for introducing the confusion!! In a hurry to post, mentioned Live axle, when I actually wanted to write solid axle both front and rear. If only somehow the original post can be edited to change this horrible mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
2> Thar DI, with the old Mahindra DI engine with a common rail injection system, with Chassis predominantly from the Pre-NGCS mm540, with live axles front and back. (This one is actually a better vehicle for taking offroad and on which the Roxor is based on)
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 15:33   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Actually you folks can blame me for introducing the confusion!! In a hurry to post, mentioned Live axle, when I actually wanted to write solid axle both front and rear. If only somehow the original post can be edited to change this horrible mistake.
Not at all, 1100D! If there's a moron in sight, it is very definitely yours truly - I actually did not know the difference, till Samurai enlightened me! That a live axle has to transmit power to the attached wheels - and that a live axle can be a beam axle or have independently sprung wheels (the differential thus becoming part of either the unsprung or the sprung kerb weight, respectively).
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 23:34   #65
BHPian

Let's listen to what actual users got to say about the Roxor.

https://teamroxor.com/threads/how-ar...-off-road.351/

That half baked video comparing a stock height MWB Roxor to a lifted SWB CJ done by amateurs is well panned. It's not a benchmark for anything offroading. A Roxor crawler build has now started at pirate4x4 and an aftermarket has now taken off. It surely has earned respect of the land of the Jeep.
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 00:09   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
Let's listen to what actual users got to say about the Roxor.
Why should we listen to them for any reviews? Many of us here have driven both versions of Thar, as well as many earlier versions like MM5X0 and CJs. Our collective knowledge is way higher than any Americans when it comes to Mahindra Jeeps.
Old 14th August 2018, 11:53   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Why should we listen to them for any reviews?
I said let's listen to them, not listen only to them. )

They compare it with the CJs & Wranglers. And they seem impressed. For some reason, anything tragically negative is yet to come out. What mods they did to their CJs is now trickling down to this as well. The general consensus is it performs shockingly well. One could only hope it stays that way.
SandyX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 12:29   #68
BANNED

Quote:
I said let's listen to them, not listen only to them. )

They compare it with the CJs & Wranglers. And they seem impressed. For some reason, anything tragically negative is yet to come out. What mods they did to their CJs is now trickling down to this as well. The general consensus is it performs shockingly well. One could only hope it stays that way.
Now, why on earth do I get the feeling that you are tragically upset that the yanks find anything positive to say about the Roxor!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 17:37   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Now, why on earth do I get the feeling that you are tragically upset that the yanks find anything positive to say about the Roxor!
Well, let's ask this fella about that.

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-shk.jpg

And if you go through my previous posts here, it'd paint an exactly opposite picture of what you felt about my views of the Roxor. )
SandyX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:25   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Well, let's ask this fella about that. .....And if you go through my previous posts here, it'd paint an exactly opposite picture of what you felt about my views of the Roxor. )
Hello SandyX,

Thank you - I feel greatly relieved after reading your above post. And I am glad we are on the same page where the Roxor is concerned! I often get depressed at the heavy dose of sniping & carping that the Roxor (and other 'made in India' offerings) has recieved from a section of the auto fraternity - most of it undeserved.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 10:01   #71
Senior - BHPian

not sure if FCA approves this. What if consumers get confused?

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-photo-aug-24-4-58-44-pm.jpg

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-photo-aug-24-4-57-44-pm.jpg

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-photo-aug-24-4-56-21-pm.jpg

USA: Mahindra Roxor to debut on March 2, 2018 EDIT : Now Launched-photo-aug-24-4-56-10-pm.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:44   #72
BHPian

A showdown between the Roxor and the competition
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 13:35   #73
BHPian

It's been quite a while having something moved over here.
Meanwhile, Roxor kept climbing the ladder of respect in a distant land.

This diamond in the rough that got eventually found(not by Indians) has sold between 5-10k units already in what is currently its only market. With production shut for local sales in the Indian market, the US is expected to become its home market in the coming months. This could turn the present 60:40 part sourcing to 100% Made in the USA.

The 2018 Roxors came in a better finished Thar DI form with a typical ATVish ROPS, functional dashboard, rhino lined interiors and miscellaneous bits aimed at the vehicle class it was targetting. To play safe, they were restricted to 45mph. It took only a respectable time for the vehicle to mark its presence in terms of sales. The production line maxed out during the 2018 model year itself with 20 units moving off the factory floor daily. MANA is currently scouting for a second facility to expand production.

Owing to market demand, 2019 Roxors comes with a slightly higher top speed of 55mph and a sump guard from the factory. The rest of the vehicle mostly stayed similar to the 2018 model year. Most of the development currently happens in the accessories department with an array of fittings coming directly from MANA. Other than the usual bumpers, hitches and other external bits, the most notable of the fittings is the hardcab option. This MANA supplied cab kit made by Curtis Cabs is close to a whooping 10k option with HVAC. This brought in another player in the aftermarket by the name of DFK with their Hardcabs model retailing at 5k. Owing to popular demand, an effort to bring back the PTO is also said to be happening at MANA R&D. Whether it will be mechanical or hydraulic is yet to be seen.

Roxor A/T fitted with a 6-speed 6L50 automatic transmission from Punch Powerglide of Belgium is another highlight of the 2019 model year. A version of this self-learning sealed-for-life transmission sits in the Chevy Colorado truck lineup. Roxor A/T has also proved its mettle in the rock crawling segment. The maximum reported fuel mileage for the manual Roxor is 37mpg while that for the A/T is still said to touch the 30s with SxSish kind of usage.

With the top speed remaining at 55mph due to fair reasons, the tuners are having a field day in breaking out the MDI3200TC engine that powers the machine. The big names include Diesel freaks, Vivid Racing, RXR Performance & Calibrated Power. Most of them offer more or less the same tunes in terms of stages, with changes only to the fuel map in ECU. Stage-1 removed speed restriction and added around 20HPs at the wheel. Stage-2 went a bit further with around 115WHP & 350Nm torque. Currently reported top speed is in the 90s. Fuel mileage with both the tunes still stays in the 30s without any reported hit to durability. A Full Floating Chromoly Rear Axle option is currently available from Yukon Gear and Axle including a Chromoly upgrade for the front axle. This is aimed at the hardcore users running lower gears and much larger tires. On The Rox Fabrication and Dirt Legal are the two big players currently in the Roxor aftermarket. A range of differential lock options is available from Ox, Spartan, Torq, etc. Current R&D is focussed on aggressively upgrading from the stock 'soft-turbo'. This could come as the Stage-3 tune.

I'd been following this vehicle since its reveal and from having gone through the literature, more than 90% of the views towards the Roxor are positive. This is coming from legit users in the mostly rural market who was spoilt by the myriad SxS options, Jeeps and other go-arounds.

The two major Roxor groups can be found here:
Mahindra Roxor Enthusiasts Group: /groups/169724703819892/
MAHINDRA ROXOR: /groups/MahindraRoxor/

The main Roxor forum could be found at:
https://teamroxor.com/

A user channel dedicated to the Roxor: Red, White & Roxor
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqb...QNqEVHQ/videos

This video is the pinnacle of Roxor's evolution at the moment. All the upgrades mentioned above are found in this Roxor.
SandyX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 22:48   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile the Roxor seems to make some more news. American Vs Indian muscle they say in the commentary.

Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 13:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Roxor sales to be stopped in US over infringement issues with Jeep model.

Mahindra US official has indirectly accepted the design is indeed a copycat. This statement made it seem like India = China in copying models from other makers!

Certainly not a good result.

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-ro...-12344161.html

@mods please move to appropriate thread if I’ve dropped it here inadvertently.

Most Viewed