Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2018, 08:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License

Hi Everyone!

I'm back! I have moved permanently from India to Australia and settled in Melbourne.

Nevertheless, my interest in cars and team-bhp still remains.

Getting a drivers license over here is not an easy matter as it is in India. One has to go through the processes, satisfy the conditions and pass the relevant tests.

The licensing authority in Victoria, Australia is called VicRoads: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ .

The normal process of obtaining a drivers license in Australia is to obtain a learners license, probationary license (P1 and P2) and then the full license. The whole process takes around 4 years, during which you are supposed to have kept a log of your driving, drive with someone who has a full license etc.

I had converted my Indian driving license, as many people do and this process is called conversion of you overseas license.

You are allowed to drive with your overseas license as long as your visa is valid, for the 457 and other visa holders. However, for permanent residents, the you're only allowed to drive with your overseas license from the date of your first landing in Australia, during which you're expected to obtain the Australian drivers license.

The entire process is self explanatory on the VicRoads website.

The first step is to fix up an appointment with VicRoads for your overseas drivers license verification. This can be done online or by visiting the VicRoads office. The verification takes about 15 minutes, I'm not sure what they do but the lady official at the counter went inside the office and came back after sometime and informed that my license has been verified successfully.

The second stem is to pass the leaners knowledge test. This is a computer based test containing multiple choice questions, to be taken at certain VicRoads offices. There are 32 questions and to pass, one must obtain a score of 78 or higher. You can go through guides and the questions provided on the VicRoads site, which is adequate to enable you to pass.

The second step is to pass the hazard perception test. VicRoads site does provide you with all the relevant documentation and information but no practise questions are available. I'd used the South Australia's licensing website to practise and the questions and the entire test appears identical. http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/hazard-perception-test

One has to be careful here because the video quality is not up to par (we're used to seeing HD and 4K videos!) so need to watch the video carefully while performing the relevant actions.

I had passed these tests in the first attempt. Please note there is a fee for each of these tests. One can schedule these tests from the VicRoads site or online.

The third stage is the dreaded driving license test!

I took driving license practise lessons from Origin Driving school and the instructor was a middle aged gentleman by the name of John. John was an excellent instructor and taught me from the perspective of driving and the test itself. On the day of the test, John was infact more stressed than myself!

What happens on the day of the test can be seen here:

The total time for the test is about 45 minutes and consists of two stages. At the end of stage 1, you're asked to pull over and the examiner tells you the score and whether you've passed so far and then asks to proceed to stage 2.

The bad part is that if you fail the driving test, you're no longer allowed to drive using the overseas drivers license, even back home!

There are many testing areas/conditions during the tests and certain condition can mean an immediate termination and failure, such as if a driver behind you honks for a valid reason, driving above or below the speed limit range, not stopping at a stop sign etc. Such errors are considered critical. There would also be a three-point turn or reverse parallel parking. I was asked to perform a reverse parallel parking.

I had the driver behind me honking on two situations, however, I had stopped for a valid reason that there was a pedestrian for whom I was waiting to cross, which the driver at the rear had not noticed.

Once the test is over, the examiner calls you to the office and informs you whether you've passed or failed (assuming you've passed the first stage) and then hands you the score sheet. You're then informed about the license fees and you can get a 3 or 10 years valid license. Of course, the fees are different for the different validities. Once you pay the fees, your picture is taken and you need to provide your address to which the license card will be shipped, which usually happens in the next 2-3 days.

I got my license card in 4 working days!

I was surely glad because not only that I can drive but the drivers license is a primary form of identification in Victoria.

Please find the pictures of the VicRoads office and my precious drivers license!
Attached Thumbnails
Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License-img_5380.jpg  

Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License-img_5381.jpg  

Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License-dl1.jpg  

Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License-dl2.jpg  

nitinbose is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 09:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License

Congrats on getting your driver's licence, Nitin. It's an awesome feeling indeed!
I got mine in QLD after going through a somewhat similar process, however some of the processes are different.

I failed my first practical driving test for guess... overspeeding during the test!
I cant believe it happened, but in my defence it was an empty road, and downhill. I failed to notice the speedo climb to 70+ as against the 60 kmph speed limit for that road. Needless to say, this is considered a critical offence, and i failed the test. This was despite 0 minor defects in my driving considering everything else. I admit i was overconfident which led to this.

When i finally got my licence, the officer conducting the test told me, "Congrats on passing your test. However, remember a driving licence is a privilege, not a right. Drive carefully and be safe."

I still remember his words, as i almost saw my world grind to a halt not being able to drive after the first fail.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 09:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

... overspeeding during the test!
I cant believe it happened, but in my defence it was an empty road, and downhill. I failed to notice the speedo climb to 70+ as against the 60 kmph speed limit for that road.
This happened during my driving lessons and my instructor asked me to be very careful when climbing down and up slopes as you should neither exceed the speed limit nor go 5 kms below the same! Practice helped me here.
nitinbose is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 13:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License

Congrats on getting your DL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I failed my first practical driving test for guess... overspeeding during the test!
One of my friends here spotted a pedestrian approaching a pedestrian crossing during his test. He slowed the car down, preparing to stop for the pedestrian to cross the road. However, the pedestrian stopped by the side of the road and waved him on. He went ahead. He failed the test for "failing to stop for a pedestrian". The officer told him that it was clear that the pedestrian wanted to cross, but he was made to wait. It was the duty of the driver to stop the car and wait. It didn't matter if the pedestrian waved him on.
StarrySky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 13:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Australia! I got my Victorian Driver's License

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
He failed the test for "failing to stop for a pedestrian". The officer told him that it was clear that the pedestrian wanted to cross, but he was made to wait. It was the duty of the driver to stop the car and wait. It didn't matter if the pedestrian waved him on.
VicRoads guidelines clearly mentions that if there's a pedestrian crossing, the driver has to wait till the pedestrian crosses and moves to a safe distance on the kerb from the edge. This has to be strictly adhered to during the test. Even when you're performing the reverse parallel parking, the car should not be further than 300mm from the kerb when parked. I do recall the examiner opening the door to check the distance.
nitinbose is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks