Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2018, 16:24   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles

Related Thread (Indian car market could soon be the no.4 worldwide; closing in on Germany)

Top brands & models
2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles-global-top-25-brands-models-2017.png

Bodystyle
2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles-global-car-sales-2017.png

2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles-global-car-lcv-sales-2017.png

By fuel-type
2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles-global-car-lcv-sales-fuel-type-2017.png

By region
2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles-global-car-lcv-sales-region-2017.png
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 01:05   #2
BHPian

Re: 2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2018 at 09:34.
catchjyoti is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st February 2018, 01:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2017 Global Car Sales in a snapshot - Top manufacturers, models & body styles

Going through the figures - and the first real surprise for me is the Nissan XTrail at 4th position! Never knew the current model had such popularity, that it has even bypassed the very popular Civic. Established competition such as RAV4, CRV and Tiguan were beaten as well.

The only model in that list, for which we can really claim contribution - is the Swift at #21.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st February 2018 at 01:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 01:38   #4
BHPian

Nice thread GTO
China is in a league of its own.
And growing.
Japan gives me hope.

I guess we 3.61 mn units aren't small either.
And if we can all agree to be disciplined on the road, it won't be scary to have more cars on the road.

On a separate note - I would like to see how the 2-wheeler numbers stack up.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 02:11   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. The section that caught my attention was geographical market sizes.

Chinese market size 25.8m (+3%)
Indian market size 3.61m (+9%)

Considering our population size, our market has a tremendous potential to grow. I hope the Government spending on road infrastructure also grows on par.

Looking at the Chinese market a few things I ponder. As of today the Chinese manufacturers are doing a joint venture with global giants like VW and GM. In future, because of the backing of a strong local market, manufacturers such as SAIC could rise to become an independent global giant.

Just like VW and GM, I wish Tata motors and M&M also have plans to get into the humongous Chinese market. Maybe M&M should focus on China (+3%) rather than USA (-1.5%).

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 21st February 2018 at 02:17. Reason: Spelling
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 11:08   #6
BHPian

A little observation:
The over-all sales of Australia 1.15 millions. Thats half of Canada, "forever-winter" country.

Does this decrement in sales have some relation to the fact that there are no more indigenous cars produced or that most of the manufacturing plant are shut down there ?
Can anyone shed some light on this ?
SubodhRage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 11:22   #7
BHPian

Pretty interesting information here! Looks like even though the Middle East is a big market for cars, it doesn't figure in the top 5 in EMEA region. Also, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia put together are a smaller market (2.393 million) than India (3.61 million), yet they get all the latest models and with almost all the latest safety equipment.We Indians sure get the short end of the stick for sure! I do hope that this changes and the global corporations start taking our market seriously, both from a manufacturing hub point of view and sales point of view as well!
AdiSolEn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 11:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to see the Nissan X-Trail/Rogue making it to number 4 in the list.
CVT or not, their Crossover emphasis is paying off I guess.

Know it for a fact, but still, every time I see the F-150 sales figures, I just can't mentally imagine that the largest selling 4 wheel vehicle in the world is a Full size Pickup, of which at least 80% are just being used for commuting in an urbane setting.

Another bit, when people come up with arguments that car sales in India has to be curbed (in our forums nonetheless) citing heavy congestion and pollution, it would make sense for anyone living in one of our cities (Tier 1/2). But looking at other nations, our root problems lie elsewhere.

Not going to compare with China(our population density is 2.5 times more than China!!!), but with Japan. Sure there is a huge ocean of difference between India and Japan in many economic and social parameters, not the least of population and landmass size difference.

We have 10 times the population and 8 times the landmass size of Japan, but almost the same population density. Yet, the sales figures are way different. Even if you take into account the strict vehicle age inspection norms in Japan, they still have a large number of registered vehicles on the road. Am not saying that we should be aiming for "a vehicle for each person or household", that would be disastrous. And we should really emphasis public transport.
But, there are far more factors to be accounted than just targeting vehicle sales. Our infrastructure, regulations, the quality of vehicles on road (emission-wise) are the main culprits, not to say the vast majority of our pollution comes from non-vehicular sources.

P.S- The Japan comparison was just for us to introspect what is really the problem, and not as a direct model to emulate.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 12:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

While I see Mitsubishi is missing from the list, Renault+Nissan is less than what Toyota sold. Barring Renault and Nissan, none of their other brands have made it to top 25, which means they all sell less than 8lacs. So is this false - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-carmaker.html ?

Last edited by PrideRed : 21st February 2018 at 12:03.
Old 21st February 2018, 13:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Lots of food for thought.

Quite remarkable to see what many would consider a high end brand as Mercedes so high up in the list.

The two manufacturers with the largest jump in sales, in all honesty, I never heard of them before. I assume they are Chinese.

Its interesting to see how overall car sales in the USA and the UK are down compared to before. There are quite a few theories about how car sales are good indicator of the real state of the economy, if not consumer confidence. And both the UK and the USA economy have some challences ahead of them, of course.

The F series still number 1 in units shifted. Amazing.

Jeroen
Old 21st February 2018, 13:36   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread!

Gives a nice perspective on how our market stacks up vs. other geographies. Also answers some of our typical questions: why doesn't manufacturer X get car Y to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Maybe M&M should focus on China (+3%) rather than USA (-1.5%).
I'd imagine, two reasons: a) M&M will play on cost, and you can't aim to beat the Chinese on cost!, b) the US is a lot more "freer" economy than the Chinese is, considering the political climate. And although the graph shows China as the leader in SUV sales, I believe the US market is more up M&M's alley in terms of core competency (rugged SUVs, LCVs, vans).

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
What happened to Hyundai/KIA? they appear to be the biggest losers. Their current crop of cars offer great value and I thought they were doing quite well in US. I am not surprised by Rogue, its a massive success for Nissan in US. I could spot lot more Rogue than CRV/RAV4 during my last visit.
Hyundai's strongest offerings in the US (Elantra, Sonata) go up against Civic, Corolla, Camry and Accord and the effort to beat these will be monumental!

Now that you bring up Hyundai, I actually won't be surprised if Mazda springs up a surprise in the US. The Mazda M6 has been quite the success.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st February 2018 at 13:44.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 13:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

What happened to Hyundai/KIA? they appear to be the biggest losers. Their current crop of cars offer great value and I thought they were doing quite well in US. I am not surprised by Rogue, its a massive success for Nissan in US. I could spot lot more Rogue than CRV/RAV4 during my last visit.
Old 21st February 2018, 14:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

Very interesting statistics there!
  • Though Luxury brands, Mercedes and BMW managed to cross the 2M mark, and the former even got into the top 10.
  • On the model-wise breakup, the top 3 are indeed legends in their segments.
  • X-Trail may have lost its SUV butch, but doing really well at an impressive 4th.
  • Even though doing an impressive 6th as a manufacturer, their top-selling model (Tucson) is on a distant 17th place.
  • Good to see Honda getting the Civic back into big-seller list. Even their crossovers – CRV and HRV made into the top ten; hopefully the Indian scene will be more aligned to the global one with the launch of the new CRV and Civic.
Old 21st February 2018, 19:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post
Also, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia put together are a smaller market (2.393 million) than India (3.61 million), yet they get all the latest models and with almost all the latest safety equipment.We Indians sure get the short end of the stick for sure! I do hope that this changes and the global corporations start taking our market seriously, both from a manufacturing hub point of view and sales point of view as well!
Let me also add Taiwan, Philippines and Vietnam to your list. I spend significant time traveling in SE Asia and this question bugs me no end. Perhaps the answer lies in our taxes and duty structure for CKD/SKD cars which puts imports at a disadvantage. These countries do not have such steep restrictions, and therefore manufacturers find it a lot easier to bring every possible model in their portfolio - irrespective of where it's manufactured.

To give credit to our government and its policies, the impetus for locally manufactured cars also means job creation and spiral effect for ancillary suppliers. Yes, enthusiasts in India lose out on the full range but then allowing all sorts of imports to flood the market means no manufacturer will have enough incentive to produce anything here.

Not an easy one to answer really.

My take on the way out could be to promote ourselves as an export hub for RHD markets. That way even lower levels of local consumption wouldn't deter manufacturers (think Chevy or even Jeep Compass that's already following this model).
gvivek75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Going through the figures - and the first real surprise for me is the Nissan XTrail at 4th position! Never knew the current model had such popularity, that it has even bypassed the very popular Civic. Established competition such as RAV4, CRV and Tiguan were beaten as well.

The only model in that list, for which we can really claim contribution - is the Swift at #21.

Since they combined Rogue and X-trail, I guess Majority sales is from Rogue than from Xtrail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks