Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 14:51   #16
BHPian

Goodbye Volkswagen Beetle

"Volkswagen is halting production of the last version of its Beetle model this week at its plant in Puebla, Mexico. It's the end of the road for a vehicle that has symbolized many things over a history spanning the eight decades since 1938. It has been a part of Germany's darkest hours as a never-realized Nazi prestige project. A symbol of Germany's postwar economic renaissance and rising middle-class prosperity.

R.I.P. Volkswagen Beetle-vw.jpg

An example of globalization, sold and recognized all over the world. An emblem of the 1960s counterculture in the United States. Above all, the car remains a landmark in design, as recognizable as the Coca-Cola bottle." The Beetle's demise is the lamentable result of how the world has moved away from the spunky and toward the practical.

R.I.P. Volkswagen Beetle-57125370dd08957d118b48b1750375.jpg

Volkswagen,currently, has no plans to resurrect the Beetle after manufacturing ends in mid July. The last of 5,961 Final Edition versions is headed for a museum after ceremonies in Puebla on July 10 to mark the end of production. The Beetle's discontinuation will free up space to build more of VW's popular Tiguan.

A tribute video -

Throughout the ages -

(Et Auto, CNET)

Mods - Please move this to the existing thread - Link

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 9th July 2019 at 15:16.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 16:59   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Goodbye Volkswagen Beetle

Never really gave much thought about this particular car. Recently saw a lot of them lined up for a drive or meet or something at a stadium in Bangalore. Realized what a lovely car it was! (And how bland-looking the modern version was!)

R.I.P. Volkswagen Beetle-20190623_101212.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2019 at 17:17. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
am1m is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 18:07   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodbye Volkswagen Beetle

Sad to see this happen, but of course it was bound to happen. As it is, it took a long time. My very first car was a VW Beetle. Very poor condition, lots of rust.

Bought it second hand, 1976 or thereabouts, for fifty Dutch guilders. Which was the exact amount I made in two weeks of delivering morning newspaper.

I drove a friend's, original Beetle, fully restored, some months ago. And though I have very fond memories of my Beetle, it also brought back how absolutely appalling this car was to drive. Even for its time, it was not very sophisticated.

It was lethal when it came to cross winds. Many owners putting some bricks in the front. It is very noisy and the heating is marginal at best. Still, mostly fond memories!

Its latest incarnation which will now cease to be produced was admittedly a much better car. It was essentially a Golf, with a funky body. Never made the impact the original Beetle did.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 9th July 2019 at 18:29.
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 18:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Goodbye Volkswagen Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
"Volkswagen is halting production of the last version of its Beetle model this week at its plant in Puebla, Mexico.
Which version are you referring to here - the real Beetle or that clumsy wanna plumpy car they introduced 20 years ago.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 20:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Which version are you referring to here - the real Beetle or that clumsy wanna plumpy car they introduced 20 years ago.

Not the real one. Production on that one ceased quite some time ago. The new one wasn't all bad, after all based on Golf platform. It just never reached the iconic stage of the original.

I also owned one of these later incarnations whilst living in Kansas City. My wife/Daughter thought it was a cute car. So I managed to find one for 500 dollars or thereabouts. It belonged to a student and it would not start. Got it going (I think a broken crankshaft sensor or something like that). Kept it for a short time and sold it on.

It might not have the visual attraction of the original, but it certainly did not have the shortcomings on the drive ability of the original one either.

The Beetle and cars such as the Citroen 2CV are fondly remembered. But sometimes we seem to forget how it was to actually drive these cars. Even in their own time they were not necessarily that good.

Of course, if you are like me, you don't care. Cars should ideally be bought on emotion rather then anything else.

If they drive and handle well that is just a bonus.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 08:30   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
"Volkswagen is halting production of the last version of its Beetle model this week at its plant in Puebla, Mexico. It's the end of the road for a vehicle that has symbolized many things over a history spanning the eight decades since 1938. It has been a part of Germany's darkest hours as a never-realized Nazi prestige project. A symbol of Germany's postwar economic renaissance and rising middle-class prosperity.
Truly, the end of an icon. If we ever have to shed a tear for a car, this is it. No model more lovable as the cute Beetle.

I'm going against popular opinion here, but I loved the modern Beetle too. I think VW got the design bang on. Just wish they'd launched with a better engine in India. It also came at the wrong time. 2-door cars have been in a state of continuous decline worldwide & the market isn't able to look beyond SUVs & Crossovers. Heck, forget 2-doors, Ford is even abandoning sedans in its home market!!!
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:20   #22
BHPian

+1 to GTO, I always thought the Beetle was a lovely-curved-timeless model.

Bombed due to the price point (like the Polo GTI) fighting it out with Mini's, perhaps they should have launched it in the ~20L price point OTR.

While I bought the Jetta (well, mine was a 2L TDI), the Beetle based on the same chassis, engine (1.4 TSi), heck same alloys/steering/audio, but a DSG (but same on the Polo), a panoramic sunroof, proper leather seats (leatherette on the Jetta), two doors less was priced 2x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Truly, the end of an icon. If we ever have to shed a tear for a car, this is it. No model more lovable as the cute Beetle.

I'm going against popular opinion here, but I loved the modern Beetle too. I think VW got the design bang on. Just wish they'd launched with a better engine in India. It also came at the wrong time. 2-door cars have been in a state of continuous decline worldwide & the market isn't able to look beyond SUVs & Crossovers. Heck, forget 2-doors, Ford is even abandoning sedans in its home market!!!
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 17:22   #23
BHPian

What a lovely car!. She is a part of history now. I always admired this car from my childhood. Remember this line from 'The Matrix'?

'Every beginning has an end and every end is a new beginning'. I expect a change of heart from Volkswagen would resurrect her from the abyss. What can we do other than pray and hope?
Old 2nd January 2020, 18:40   #24
BHPian

Volkswagen has released a small 90 second tribute to the Beetle. This commercial is really emotional. It hit me hard.
What an icon.
Octy17 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed