Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 18:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

GM's self-driving car Cruise AV's production to begin in 2019

General Motors (GM) will start making the production versions of its 4th-generation autonomous car - Cruise AV, in 2019. This is expected be the first car with no steering wheel, pedals or any manual controls to go into series production.

The cars will be made in its Orion Township assembly plant in Michigan, while the roof modules, consisting of the LIDAR, camera, sensors and other hardware will be manufactured at the Brownstone plant. GM will be investing over US$ 100 million in this project to upgrade both these manufacturing facilities. The production for the roof modules has already begun. Since January 2017, the GM has built over 200 of the test vehicles deployed in urban regions including the city of San Francisco.

The Cruise AV is an all-electric car based on the Chevrolet Bolt. Cruise Automation was acquired by GM in 2016, which currently makes software for the Bolt-based self-driving car. The occupants of the car will interact with the car using 3 on-board touchscreens or via phone apps. The cars will also be equipped with an automatic crash response that will connect the car to an advisor, who will help the occupants as well guide the first responders to the site of the accident.

GM's self-driving car Cruise AV's production to begin in 2019-gmcruiseav.jpg

GM's self-driving car Cruise AV's production to begin in 2019-gmcruiseav.jpg

GM's self-driving car Cruise AV's production to begin in 2019-gmcruiseavroofrack.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 19th March 2018 at 18:16.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 21:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: GM's self-driving car Cruise AV's production to begin in 2019

At a time when we are hearing stories of car's cruise control going out of bounds, I somehow am not feeling comfortable to even look at a cabin like this devoid of any form of conventional physical controls inside.
This is anyway not going to a car that would be cherished by a Live-to-Drive community like ours

On another note, why such a plain Jane and spartan looking interiors on a car that intends to steal the lime light? Anyway no one can drive this, but is it too much to ask for interiors that can keep its occupants engaged?
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 22:56   #3
BHPian

The mere sight of no steering wheel in a car and the sense of not having any control whatsoever is definitely unsettling.

I wonder how this news would affect such "Driver-less" market when trial cars with Safety drivers present in them and are yet causing accidents and deaths.-

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gn=fullarticle

Last edited by Skyline_GT : 19th March 2018 at 22:57.
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 09:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
The mere sight of no steering wheel in a car and the sense of not having any control whatsoever is definitely unsettling.

I wonder how this news would affect such "Driver-less" market when trial cars with Safety drivers present in them and are yet causing accidents and deaths.-
Very true. I for sure would not like to be sitting inside this car or be anywhere near it. AI still has a long way to go before we can complete trust it. Imagine someone at very high speeds in this car and suddenly the AI goes beserk, there is no way to bring it back to control. While driverless cars are definitely the future, there should always be an option to disengage the AI and a steering to control the car by the driver in case of an emergency.

On a lighter note I wonder what the future road ragers will do when two of their such cars bump into each other. Maybe argue over whose car is more smarter.
sub.g84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 10:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

My friend works in Uber US and he said that there are lot of regulatory issues that these companies are facing with Autonomous vehicles, and then the news of fatal accident comes in.
I feel this is just a GM trick to keep shareholders' interest in their AV project as well, much like Mary Barra's 'commitment' of investing billions in India's domestic market

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks