Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2018, 10:44   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mitsubishi's success story in the Australian market

Mitsubishi's success story in the Australian market-img_3230-copy-copy.jpg

While the Mitsubishi-Nissan alliance has made it to #1 in global sales numbers, it is interesting to see how this merger has helped leapfrog VW in the numbers game. More so, when Mitsubishi has been known for lacklustre numbers in certain markets as well as an almost negligible presence in the US auto market.

A fact i had noticed right from the time i was here in Australia, is how Mitsubishi enjoys a strong presence in this market, and more so one where it sees a good number of brand new cars roll off the showroom floors. Now, the numbers are there for all to see.

Mitsubishi have taken the decision to focus on their core strengths which is in the Utility vehicle/SUV segment, with an almost negligible presence in the passenger car segment. Even there, with the Lancer soon reaching the end of its life-cycle, it is as good as not having a worthwhile representative.

What Mitsubishi brings to the table with their offerings is reliability, as well as value for money alternatives, as compared to their Japanese brethren with the hallowed T badge.

Here's an analysis of Mitsubishi's strong performance in the Australian market, with data based on the article on www.caradvice.com.au

Quote:
However, the value-driven company might be quietly laughing to itself right now, after posting 21,215 sales over the first quarter (Q1) of 2018, up 15 per cent over its record 2017 result.

This places it fourth in-market, behind Hyundai but ahead of Ford, Nissan and Holden.

The company did even better in March, finishing third overall and ahead of Hyundai, with 8810 units and market share of 7.3 per cent. It was the company’s highest March on record, which is a pretty good way to wrap up the Japanese financial year.

Mitsubishi was also the market’s #3 SUV brand over Q1, with 12,538 sales placing it behind only Mazda (13,386) and Toyota (19,405), and ahead of Alliance partner Nissan.
Mitsubishi's success story in the Australian market-mitsi.jpg

Mitsubishi also seems to have struck gold with their latest offering in this market, which is the Eclipse Cross, a mini SUV which slots in between the ASX (#1 seller in its segment) and the Outlander. Even the aging but legendary Pajero saw a 8% jump over Q1 sales.

Mitsubishi's success story in the Australian market-mitsubishieclipsecrossgalleryfrontd.jpg

What the Australian market has proved is that for the right kit, reliability and price there is always a market for the taking. I couldn't be happier having grown up with a Mitsubishi L200 pickup(Also called the Triton) and a Lancer in the family, and now owing a Pajero.

Link to original article : https://www.caradvice.com.au/637431/...sales-success/

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th April 2018 at 04:13. Reason: Added sales numbers + corrected typos.
benbsb29 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 11:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi's success story in the Australian market

My life started in UAE with a Lancer 2.0 GT. UAE never received the 2.4 in the Lancer.

It was a great car and gave me absolutely no issues except for a AC refrigerant leak, at which point I sold off the car. And it had an amazing resale value as well. The CVT gearbox was a big dud though and the car made a racket at high RPM.

Mitsubishi enjoys a decent market share due to the Lancer and Pajero in UAE. But there is no hiding from the fact that sales is dying and the sole reason is that other players are offering much more advanced products at a little more cost. Whereas Mitsubishi is still selling the age old models which simply lacks the jazz these days.

Their new offerings like Montero Sport, Outlander & Eclipse Cross have found next to no takers in UAE.

And now they have slashed their prices heavily affecting the resale value of the cars bought initially at higher prices. Also, their local dealership is not up to the mark and offers very sub par experience to the owners during service visits. Would you believe that you need to stand in a queue behind 10 people when you drop-off your car for service? And this is Dubai where customers are treated like GOD everywhere else!

Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Mazda, etc. offers very attractive warranty and service packages too. Mitsubishi does not even offer that.
raj_5004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 11:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice read, thanks for sharing Benny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
While the Mitsubishi-Nissan alliance has made it to #1 in global sales numbers
More like Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi. In that order, due to Mitsubishi's minuscule size compared to the other two.

Quote:
i was here in Australia, is how Mitsubishi enjoys a strong presence in this market
And the Aussies really love their Landcruisers & Pajeros, no?

Quote:
Even the aging but legendary Pajero saw a 8% jump over Q1 sales.
I find it fascinating how consistently weak brands find rare success in some country or the other. There's Buick in China, Suzuki in India and Mitsubishi in Australia. Buick would have probably been killed off by now, if it weren't for the Chinese love affair. Likewise, Suzuki is a cheap, basement bargain brand worldwide; In India, it rules!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 10:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
My life started in UAE with a Lancer 2.0 GT. UAE never received the 2.4 in the Lancer.

It was a great car and gave me absolutely no issues except for a AC refrigerant leak, at which point I sold off the car. And it had an amazing resale value as well. The CVT gearbox was a big dud though and the car made a racket at high RPM.
My dad's grouse used to be that the spares were priced higher in comparison to the equivalent Toyota.

Quote:
Mitsubishi enjoys a decent market share due to the Lancer and Pajero in UAE. But there is no hiding from the fact that sales is dying and the sole reason is that other players are offering much more advanced products at a little more cost. Whereas Mitsubishi is still selling the age old models which simply lacks the jazz these days.

Their new offerings like Montero Sport, Outlander & Eclipse Cross have found next to no takers in UAE.
Thanks for the insight on Mitsubishi's sales performance in the UAE market.
Interesting to see, as the exact opposite is seen in the Australian market with their new offerings.

Quote:
And now they have slashed their prices heavily affecting the resale value of the cars bought initially at higher prices.
Kinda reminds you of Ford in India, doesn't it?

Quote:
Also, their local dealership is not up to the mark and offers very sub par experience to the owners during service visits. Would you believe that you need to stand in a queue behind 10 people when you drop-off your car for service? And this is Dubai where customers are treated like GOD everywhere else!

Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Mazda, etc. offers very attractive warranty and service packages too. Mitsubishi does not even offer that.
Is this the same Al Habtoor motors group? I remember them from my childhood days. Well, they better buckle up if they intend to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice read, thanks for sharing Benny!

More like Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi. In that order, due to Mitsubishi's minuscule size compared to the other two.
True. Also, with Mitsubishi being the last into the fold, they would be named last in the conglomerate.

Quote:
And the Aussies really love their Landcruisers & Pajeros, no?
Lancers were quite popular, but i suppose the lack of a new model means the sales might be dropping. Even then i see quite a few new ones, noticeable with the facelifted bumper and DRLs.

Mitsubishi's success story in the Australian market-pajeros.jpg

Pajero for its age continues to sell in decent numbers. I guess the name speaks for itself. So much so that it doesnt necessarily find a place on the showroom floor of the dealership i visited for the warranty recalls on my Pajero. The sales push is now more towards the Pajero Sport.

For those interested, this should be a good watch.

Quote:
I find it fascinating how consistently weak brands find rare success in some country or the other. There's Buick in China, Suzuki in India and Mitsubishi in Australia. Buick would have probably been killed off by now, if it weren't for the Chinese love affair. Likewise, Suzuki is a cheap, basement bargain brand worldwide; In India, it rules!
Good point. It is indeed amazing!
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 11:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Mitsubishi also seems to have struck gold with their latest offering in this market, which is the Eclipse Cross, a mini SUV which slots in between the ASX (#1 seller in its segment) and the Outlander. Even the aging but legendary Pajero saw a 8% jump over Q1 sales.

Attachment 1750588
That design bears an extremely high resemblance with Indian Creta. The wheels, bodyline crease, window line, fog lamps, overall size and stance.. Swap the headlamps and grille and it will look like a facelift of the same car.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
That design bears an extremely high resemblance with Indian Creta. The wheels, bodyline crease, window line, fog lamps, overall size and stance.. Swap the headlamps and grille and it will look like a facelift of the same car.
Being of similar dimensions, there are bound to be some similarities. However, i disagree that it looks almost like a Creta. The Eclipse Cross has more cuts and creases, and not to forget an unmistakable rear. That said, i don't really find its looks appealing.
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

I follow Andrew, a 4x4 journalist, on youtube and since I like Pajero. Since we are on Mitsubishi here.

Montero Overlanding Part1

Part 2
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks