Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 11:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki to stop sale of diesel cars in UK

According to a media report, Suzuki will no longer offer any diesel engines on its vehicles sold in the UK. It has been said that the decreasing demand for diesel cars is one of the reasons for this move.

Suzuki offered the 1.6-litre Fiat sourced diesel mill on the S-Cross and Vitara crossovers. According to the data available, the company sold just 1,000 units of diesel cars last year. These account for less than 3% of the total sales volume. It was also revealed that customer preferences have been more towards the Boosterjet series of turbocharged petrol engines that claim to offer a higher fuel economy than their non-turbo counterparts. Henceforth, the company will be offering only the mild hybrids and petrols on their vehicles. However, diesels will be sold in the Republic of Ireland due to the stronger demand there.

Sales of diesel-powered cars in Britain fell by over 37% last month compared to the same one year ago. Post the VW emissions scandal, demand for the fuel reduced drastically. Recently, companies like Porsche and Volvo have declared a diesel-free future for their line-ups, instead concentration on the electric and hybrid powertrains.

Suzuki to stop sale of diesel cars in UK-023-ddis-badge-fender.jpg

Source - Autocar

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 12th April 2018 at 11:40.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 11:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suzuki to stop sale of diesel cars in UK

Relevant to Suzuki's strategy of going away from diesels, here are the views of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) CEO Sergio Marchionne .

Quote:
Diesel sales may never recover, even if technical advances make it a more environmentally friendly fuel than alternatives
Marchionne has already said that the firm will end sales of diesel models for its Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Jeep and Maserati brands by 2022, reasoning that electrified technology will deliver better returns than investing in a new generation of diesel engines.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 21:04   #3
BHPian

It does seem like that the Diesel cars would go out of production soon. This news kind of makes me sad, I have always liked the diesel engines. Most of the diesel powered cars have a more accessible power range unlike the Petrol cars which needs to be revved to perform & the turbo kick from many diesel engines is really addictive. Also the diesels are fuel efficient even when driven in pedal to metal style, so you can have your cake & eat it too.

Isn't there any way that the diesel engines could be modified to become more environmental friendly? I mean diesel engines still suits (even with rising diesel prices) many users with high running. Though personally I don't believe that the diesel cars are contributing so significantly to the overall world pollution, that they would need to be taken off the road.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 12th April 2018 at 21:08.
chiranjitp is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 23:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Funny I think I remember Suzuki stating that they would never develop their own diesel engines, only to give in and begin developing their own based on demand, and just as their diesel engines are in final stages of development, it becomes pointless to offer one they really must have lost a lot of money on all of this. Hope it doesn't mean that they continue to build flimsy cars into the future. I'd much rather they started building cars like the A-Star, SX4, S-Cross, Grand Vitara and Kizashi I know those products haven't really set the sales charts on fire, especially the last one, but that doesn't mean that good build quality is to blame. They already have a market now I think it's time for them to focus on being truly world class.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 10:53   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Diesel sales are falling in the UK no doubt; they are 1/3rd of the market today, compared to almost half a couple of years ago. Diesel always had a bit of a bad name, but the VW fraud delivered a body blow to its reputation.

I don't think too many other manufacturers will follow Suzuki & Fiat, at least not in the near future. 1/3rd of the market is still a chunk big enough that you cannot ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Most of the diesel powered cars have a more accessible power range unlike the Petrol cars which needs to be revved to perform & the turbo kick from many diesel engines is really addictive.
Direct-injection turbo-petrols offer the same benefits. In fact, with a well-tuned DI turbo-petrol, the rev range is wider as they go to 6,500 - 7,000 rpm. Best example is VAG's 1.8 TSI.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 16:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki to stop selling diesel variants of S Cross and Vitara from June all across Europe.

Citing reasons on low demand, Suzuki will now rely on its petrol ( turbo) and Smart hybrid variants.

Quote:
Smart Hybrid Vehicle" (SHVS) while at a farther time we will also go Seeing the arrival of other more advanced electrified options in the form of fully electric models.
Suzuki's Vitara and S Cross sales (EU)

Suzuki to stop sale of diesel cars in UK-vit.jpg

Suzuki to stop sale of diesel cars in UK-vit1.jpg

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th May 2018 at 16:28.
Old 11th May 2018, 16:59   #7
BHPian

This should happen in India too. Suzuki (and others too) should stop plonking the old 1.3 oil burner to its cars. Replace it with free-revving, smooth turbo petrol engines, and no one would miss a bit of diesel engines.
Old 11th May 2018, 17:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
This should happen in India too. Suzuki (and others too) should stop plonking the old 1.3 oil burner to its cars. Replace it with free-revving, smooth turbo petrol engines, and no one would miss a bit of diesel engines.
Simply not true, there is a demand for petrol, but the diesel is a big part of the profit story, the Brezza is one example. Improved infrastructure is a good reason to stick to diesel for high running, petrol economy is scary in urban settings. Turbo petrols are just like diesels, heavy, expensive, demand expensive fuel, complicated exhaust treatments with DPF(Euro 6), all without the economy.

Suzuki is a bit player in the UK, they don't represent market trends in any way. The government scaremongering is what is driving down demand for diesel. The same government that dished out tax benefits for diesel and used fuel taxes to fund the welfare state.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 20:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki and Mitsubishi to abandon diesel cars in Europe.

All Japanese companies with the exception of Mazda is the only major Japanese player still focusing on diesel cars for Europe.

Quote:
Suzuki has decided to remove diesel vehicles from its new-car lineup for Europe, having already ceased to produce existing models that use the fuel in Hungarian facilities this summer. Diesel comprised less than 10% of the 281,000 autos Suzuki sold in Europe for the year ended March 31, with two compact sport utility vehicle models contributing to the total

Quote:
Suzuki will keep the fuel alive in the Indian market, where diesel makes up about 30% of its car sales.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th October 2018 at 20:45.
Old 24th January 2020, 10:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

FCA drags Suzuki too in emission scandal.

Jeep, Suzuki models found to have broken EU emissions rules.

Quote:
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' Jeep Grand Cherokee and Suzuki's Vitara diesel models both break emissions rules and must be fixed or face a ban on sales across Europe
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th January 2020 at 10:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks