Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 21:11   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW introduces Wireless Charging for the 5-Series Hybrid

BMW for their upcoming performance hybrid the 530e, have introduced a wireless charging plate for their car. This plate would have to be installed inside a garage or even outdoors with a live connection to the mains of the home. [1] The salient features are :

- Rain and moisture resistant plate

- The car has a guidance system that will help the driver land the belly of the car onto the plate. There is a tolerance of 2.76 inches horizontally and about 5.5 inches vertically, within that error the charging can be done normally.

- The maximum charge time would be about 4 hours for a full charge.

- Post full charge the charging baseplate will turn off.

- Driving over the plate won't cause any damage.

- The plate is also be wi-fi enabled as it communicates with the car during the time of parking beneath it.

- The technology is merely a magnified version of induction charging

- There is such a thing as ambient electromagnetic radiation which is incredibly harmful to human beings, but they claim that this radiation will not exceed beyond the car dimensions.

- Will be switched off if any external motion or object is detected in the magnetic field (pet or human hand/leg)

Should cost a bomb, and I don't believe that this has been tested enough seeing that the size of the thing, it should generate enough electromagnetic radiation to fry more than a few cells. The simplest and safest thing to do is to buy the cord and plug it in.. a simple workout to the hands won't do harm to anyone. [2]

Links :

[1]

[2]
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 04:52   #2
BHPian

re: BMW introduces Wireless Charging for the 5-Series Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
- Will be switched off if any external motion or object is detected in the magnetic field (pet or human hand/leg)

Should cost a bomb, and I don't believe that this has been tested enough seeing that the size of the thing, it should generate enough electromagnetic radiation to fry more than a few cells. The simplest and safest thing to do is to buy the cord and plug it in.. a simple workout to the hands won't do harm to anyone. [2]
A 9.2kwh battery that gives a range of 30 miles in electric mode. It takes 3 hours to charge this puny battery. This is just a lot of hassle for nothing. We would probably see dead rats, spiders, roaches, snakes, what not on the warm charging pad. My 75kwh Tesla charges in 6 to 7 hours.

What is with BMW, and their green offerings?? The i3 is a joke on wheels, and this is just too inefficient. What about all the lost energy in lugging around all that equipment for that short range. $55k for 180hp, and a 4 cylinder engine. I would have to be a Loco Hombre (Crazy man) to consider this.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 13:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW introduces Wireless Charging for the 5-Series Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
This is just a lot of hassle for nothing.
I believe this is the first time wireless charging has been introduced for a passenger car? Whenever any new tech is launched, the question isn't "what can it do for you today?". It's "what it can do for you tomorrow". The Economist even thinks that it could lead to charging EVs on the move!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 14:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

It probably is going to cost a lot, but I guess this is a move in the right direction; I guess many countries are already investing on developing roads with wireless power for charging cars on the move.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 14:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is a good idea for places like apartment parking lots, just park your car and it charges. The Tesla is for those with their own garage, this one gives you the convenience of hands free operation and doesn't require any dangling wires. The added advantage of not having to deal with vandals damaging your vehicle and charging gear.

The pure electric range is limited, but this is not an electric platform, its a hybrid and that means always a compromise in terms of practicality. I don't think BMW will bother with a sedan, the ix3 will be their focus and SUVs are the hottest sector of the market. Everyone panned iDrive when it debuted, today its a benchmark, wireless charging is the future, this is the first step.
avira_tk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 19:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I believe this is the first time wireless charging has been introduced for a passenger car? Whenever any new tech is launched, the question isn't "what can it do for you today?". It's "what it can do for you tomorrow". The Economist even thinks that it could lead to charging EVs on the move!
Yes, Qualcomm Halo has been in the works for a while now. They bought a company in the UK(in 2011), and are trying to monetize it. I think i8 has had this before, formula E has had this. Pretty much every car manufacturer knows about Halo tech and they choose to not license it. (but for BMW)

The radiation concern for this much energy transfer is real. A robotic arm that engages safely can address all safety concerns. It can be the same pad, but rises and attaches to cars. I would never sit inside a car while it charges kilo watts wirelessly. ( without exhaustive safety trials/data)

Utility companies in CA are installing electric charging at private parking lots if they can reserve 5 slots. The application fees is very nominal for employers, apartments, & community managers.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 1st June 2018 at 19:58.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed