View Poll Results: What's your choice?
Digital Plates 11 26.19%
Conventional Plates 31 73.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2018, 07:16   #1
BHPian

California begins trial of digital number plates

Have you ever been confused of which font to use in your car's number plates?

Imagine having a digital number plate and you can store all the fonts and change them on a day to day basis as you wish and with a lot more personalisation! I have always wanted this for my car. Was such a thing available till now? I don't know. I personally haven't seen one anywhere.

Its been on my mind for a long time and the reason I'm sharing it now is this news I saw in ACI. Link

Quote:
The state of California has begun a trial of digital number plates in order to make the process of registering. and re-registering cars easier. The digital license plates will also be able to display custom messages, advertisements and traffic information. However, these messages will only be displayed when the car is parked.

The number plate itself is essentially a simple tablet with a built-in battery and tracker which can register trip data, log traffic conditions and help in tracking stolen vehicles (that is presuming that the plates aren’t removed when the car is stolen). The trials have begun after assuring union representatives that these license plates will not be used to track drivers.
Above all those personalisation you can do, these digital plates can also be customized to add a lot of safety features to your car. Now implementing this officially in india will be a humongous task and I don't see it coming anytime soon. The Indian government is anyway planning for its mandatory HSRP plates from next year onwards. And so, I'm not sure if this will even be an option for us from the after market! These digital plates will be expensive too.

California begins trial of digital number plates-images.jpeg

Today's cars are anyway filled with gizmos, then why not this? So looking forward to a day when our cars too will run with these digital plates.

Last edited by Flyer : 1st June 2018 at 22:27. Reason: To add pic
Flyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: California begins trial of digital number plates

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the International Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Unnecessary cost & complexity, IMHO. A number-plate is just that and usually doesn't require a change for 7 - 10 years. Why bother over something that you can otherwise get for 200 - 500 rupees?
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I see massive privacy concerns here. The number plate can track where the car is, what speed it is going at et al, and send it to the DMV. Can see why governments would want them - not sure about car users. Though of course, the tracking could be done by a small GPS + LTE chip embedded in a normal number plate as well.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I see massive privacy concerns here. The number plate can track where the car is, what speed it is going at et al, and send it to the DMV. Can see why governments would want them - not sure about car users. Though of course, the tracking could be done by a small GPS + LTE chip embedded in a normal number plate as well.
The article does have this line,

Quote:
he trials have begun after assuring union representatives that these license plates will not be used to track drivers.
But I see your point. Yet another sign of the potential that data has as a commodity in today's times.

I echo GTO's sentiment: why this complexity? Unless the DMV/Insurance companies offer drastically low premiums because of these plates (because of the security aspect), there's no real motivation to get these.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe the Americans should adopt the Belgium number plate system.

When you apply for a car registration you are given a number and that number stays with you for life. You get one registration plate made and it just goes with you from car to car!! Personally, I don’t think it can be done any easier, convenient and cheaper.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

When you apply for a car registration you are given a number and that number stays with you for life. You get one registration plate made and it just goes with you from car to car!! Personally, I don’t think it can be done any easier, convenient and cheaper.

Jeroen
Even in India we have number transfer but with some procedural hurdles(not so big).

I second GTO it is an unnecessary complexity with potential misuse of the display as well as the data.

Last edited by aadya : 2nd June 2018 at 12:32. Reason: correction
aadya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

In the Netherlands the registration number stays with the car for ever. So once fitted, it never comes off again. It's an administrative process only where the new owners details get attached to the registration number
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Jeroen
America does use the system where the plates belong to the owner and not the car. When a car is sold, the new owner gets the car associated to his plates. Thus the old owner can use the same plates on his next car.

That's also a reason why Americans spend more to get fancy number plates - BTW they can also have alphanumeric values.

Last edited by deep_bang : 2nd June 2018 at 14:14.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 18:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
America does use the system where the plates belong to the owner and not the car. When a car is sold, the new owner gets the car associated to his plates. Thus the old owner can use the same plates on his next car.

That's also a reason why Americans spend more to get fancy number plates - BTW they can also have alphanumeric values.

You are right of course. I completely forgot. When we left the USA in 2012 we took our plates with us. My daughter wanted the plates from our Jeep Cherokee. She considered it her car. I still have my plates from my Jaguar. It's actually hanging in my garage

California begins trial of digital number plates-imageuploadedbyteambhp1527942625.537161.jpg
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 22:37   #10
BHPian

I would stick to conventional plates. In case of a collision you might need to spend some more bucks to fix this.
hema4saran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 23:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Did anybody notice the cost of digital number plate? It is like sticking two iPads to your car's bumpers. Not happening in a country where this happens -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...len-india.html
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 15:09   #12
BHPian

I have other concerns. It will be so easy to change your registration Number to fake ones or switch off the plates to not display anything near speed cameras,etc. It will be a massive security concern.
car-dent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 19:18   #13
BHPian

Here is how it works and what it does..

World's first digital license plate. This is the future.

Last edited by Flyer : 4th August 2018 at 19:26.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 20:50   #14
BHPian

Dubai also to launch digital number plates for cars.

https://m.khaleejtimes.com/news/tran...on-dubai-cars-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks