Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2018, 11:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drive: From Netherlands to Germany for the longest Mercedes W123 parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Most of the spectators are actually looking at the cars with their own eyes, and not through the cell phone cameras. A big thumbs up for that. These days many do not see or enjoy any vistas while trying to capture everything. No matter how you shoot it, I'm not sure one can enjoy the beauty of these cars by looking at them later on a mobile screen!
Thanks. It was very nice driving through this little village. People could have been upset with us as we essentially closed off their village for about three hours. But they were out in force, along the route, cheering and waving. Germans are usually a bit more interest in cars then most other nations I would think. Also, the fact that these are old Mercedes helps. All these folks have been in a W123 at some point in time, most likely as a taxi passenger. So that does bring a lot of goodwill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thank you Jeroen: a well written-up and photographed adventure!

I recall being a passenger in one of those taxis. The driver said that it did 24-hour duty: he drove it in the day and his brother drove it at night.
Yes, mechanically these cars are near indestructible. The main problem is rust and they rust very badly. More so than other cars from that era I find. But they are easy to maintain and even the rust is pretty easy to solve.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed