Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Sergio Marchionne replaced as head of FCA & Ferrari amid health complications Edit: RIP

Absolutely shocking!

Former Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne dies
Old 25th July 2018, 18:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Sergio Marchionne replaced as head of FCA & Ferrari amid health complications Edit: RIP

Amazing that a relatively young, super affluent person can die of complications from a shoulder operation in a developed country. Tells you how uncertain life is. Marchionne was a truly great manager who will be remembered for a long time. RIP
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 20:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

RIP. Seems like he died of cardiac arrest. Could have been some pre-existing condition that led to complications.
Old 26th July 2018, 01:35   #19
BHPian

RIP Sergio. 🙏
A true visionary.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

As tributes to Sergio Marchionne pours in , Michael Manley in his first public statement ( at the automaker's second-quarter conference call ) as Fiat Chrysler's CEO pays tribute to his former boss.

Sergio Marchionne replaced as head of FCA & Ferrari amid health complications Edit: RIP-ar180729827.jpg

Quote:
I'm going to begin today by talking about Sergio. We received the news this morning that Sergio had passed away and clearly, this is a very sad and difficult time and our thoughts and prayers go out to Sergio's family, friends and colleagues
Quote:
Now personally, having spent the last nine years of my life seeing or talking to Sergio almost on a daily basis, this morning's news is heartbreaking and I know that it will also be heartbreaking for many other people. There is no doubt that Sergio was a very special, unique man and there is no doubt that he's going to be sorely missed
Quote:
Now, I have read many of the reports you've recently published about Sergio since the news of his health became public, and I've also seen numerous messages of support both to the company and to Sergio's family. I can tell you those messages mean a lot, and I'd like to personally thank you for them. So, before we get on the call, if I may, I'd like us to take a minute's silence in memory of a very special person
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th July 2018 at 08:19.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 09:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

RIP Sergio.

Reports indicate he was instrumental in Jeep India's foray into India and he was close to Ratan Tata.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 14:29   #22
BHPian

RIP Sergio.

Saw an article which tells about the relationship he had with Ratan Tata.

Quote:
There is a real warm relationship between Mr Ratan Tata and our chairman (then Sergio Marchionne). That’s probably how it happened. That’s probably the genesis of how we ended up by doing this car in India,” Allen told this writer in Goa last year. “Just five years ago, every Jeep that we made was made in the US...,” he added.

Mr Tata's words

Quote:
I had the privilege of knowing Sergio Marchionne shortly after the time he took over as the CEO of Fiat in 2004. The Tata-Fiat alliance in India took form in 2007 under his leadership and support. I also had the privilege of serving on the Fiat board for six years during which time Fiat registered growth and enhanced profitability, under the strategic leadership of Sergio. The global automobile industry has lost a great leader who will be remembered for his boldness and for his vision
Source :https://www.livemint.com/Auto/oQIRo2...ught-Jeep.html
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 09:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Amazing that a relatively young, super affluent person can die of complications from a shoulder operation in a developed country.
So True! The news came as a big shock to me!

Anyways, I think he shouldn't be judged based on how Fiat India performed. The market is too too small for his radar. Besides, Jeep is doing rather well here now!

He will always be remembered for rescuing 2 Goliaths of the industry in Fiat and Chrysler. Their numbers before and after Sergio is really some magic! Especially since the latter was left in a very bad shape by Daimler and Cerberus Capital.

And Sergio's master stroke was to convince GM to give Fiat 2 billion USD in 2005 to not force an acquisition. I cannot imagine what a bonkers negotiation it would have been!

He was indeed a tough customer and had to make some very hard decisions for survival. As a finance guy ought to be! But I think there was a heart as well. Alfa Romeo is really doing well now - a brand which is so close to most of us here. Wish I could say the same about Lancia too. That is such a shame!

And he took a very keen interest in F1 which is very close to my heart. Even though there is only a handful of titles to speak of during this period, the team has become really competitive and both Alonso and Vettel have come very close to the big prize. That commitment and effort shows Sergio was not just about bean counting!

RIP Sergio! You will certainly be missed.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 08:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Amazing that a relatively young, super affluent person can die of complications from a shoulder operation in a developed country. --
Marchionne has been on treatment over a year.

Quote:
the company didn't know anything about Marchionne's health "due to medical privacy."
Quote:
Marchionne suffered from a sarcoma in his shoulder, and it was causing him pain. This type of cancer can affect bone, cartilage, fat, muscle, and vascular tissue.

During surgery on his shoulder, Marchionne suffered a cerebral embolism and fell into a coma. Afterward, he had severe brain damage and was on life support. Tragically, Marchionne succumbed to his injuries and died at just 66 years old.
Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th July 2018 at 08:45.
Old 28th July 2018, 10:11   #25
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sergio Marchionne replaced as head of FCA & Ferrari amid health complications Edit: RIP

RIP Sergio.

Humans seem to be fighting a losing battle against cancer - it claims more and more victims with each passing year - irrespective of being young or old, healthy or unhealthy, rich or poor.
Old 28th July 2018, 10:17   #26
BANNED

Re: Sergio Marchionne replaced as head of FCA & Ferrari amid health complications Edit: RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Humans seem to be fighting a losing battle against cancer - it claims more and more victims with each passing year - irrespective of being young or old, healthy or unhealthy, rich or poor.
As longevity increases and medical science develops there are fewer way to quit. Cancer is a big one as are heart and other CV ailments. I reckon paralysis will also come in big.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 22:12   #27
BHPian

I'm sad at the human loss but I've been uncomfortable at all the rose tinted (rather natural I totally agree) eulogies being delivered. I'm not sure if this is the thread for it but I think that it's crucial that the rather worrying problems looming over the FCA group are finally looked at with new and brave leadership.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/2246...ecidedly-mixed

I know many will jump in outrage given how soon this is, but the points being argued here are astute. In the last couple of years the general consensus amongst auto enthusiasts was that Sergio was beginning to look like a busted flush, his desperate marriage pleas turning into a source of mockery and the alarming over dependence on the Jeep & RAM brands a really big looming worry. FCA are in a critical time if many venerable brands are to survive, they need to bother making decent cars rather than just seeking to look for ad hoc solutions. Cut your losses and double down on areas of strength are a good plan but there needs to be some contingency for a sudden change in the market. I'm no seer but I'd like to think there are wise enough heads at FCA to plan for this.

On another note I've been rather bemused by the F1 angled tributes towards Sergio. I don't think he had any romantic interest in the Ferrari mythos. Indeed all he wanted to do was channel that aura towards an IPO of the Ferrari brand separately (to help pad out FCA numbers), he wanted to dilute the brand by raising production caps and IIRC he did an about turn on the SUV front didn't he (again I'm fully aware that the Cayenne case study will be thrown in my face). Plus there was his meddling in the F1 team that ultimately led to him ousting Luca di Montezemolo in an acrimonious fashion as I seem to recall from the mood of the paddock at the time. Since coming in he's often played that oh-so-favourite-Ferrari strop tactic of saying they'll take their ball and play elsewhere. Those things still leave a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth. I'm of the opinion his constant prodding at Luca had a role to play in ousting Stefano Domenicalli, a thorough gentleman (till then Ferrari through and through) and bringing in that sales hack Mattiaci. I will admit though that in Maurizio he Did bring in the sort of smooth political operator who is most likely to succeed at Ferrari.

Anyway I digress. I don't mean to dishonour the recently deceased, my original goal is simply to put forth the importance of a balanced critical outlook on a man who personally confounded me in terms of what I really thought of him.
Old 9th August 2018, 20:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

FCA before and after the arrival of the late Sergio Marchionne !

Quote:
When Sergio Marchionne arrived in Fiat Group, 60% of the group's sales were small cars. Today FCA sells mostly SUVs and trucks
Sergio Marchionne replaced as head of FCA & Ferrari amid health complications Edit: RIP-dki6mktw0aatr_b.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks