Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 09:01   #1
BHPian

The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war

ghost Car: A 1979 Camaro That Was Used In Bosnian War

Armies all around the world are always trying to use the most modern machines in order to successfully complete tasks in the roughest conditions and cruel battles.
The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-f93e2zbosfvkcs9vm0hgw.jpeg
So today, on the day of the declaration of Independence of our country I would like to share an Incredible story of an incredible machine.
The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-xoggfel7qfeky_euznxmra.jpeg
The war in Bosnia from 1992 to 1995 wasn't less cruel than any other war. However, during this war, one supply machine was different than others-a 2nd gen Chevrolet Camaro aka "Ghost Car".
Usually, supply cars are SUVs that can barely go over 50 mph. So, a Camaro used in war was not only unusual, but very clever.........that is, of course, when you modify it to a certain degree.
The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-up_rm0mtqkousuo8bcvpg.jpeg
The Ghost Camaro was the brainchild of a Danish Special Forces officer Helge Meyer, who was on duty at the Rhine Main Air Force Base when the war in Bosnia started. The amazing thing is that Meyer never carried a weapon during this war, earning his nickname "Guds Rambo" ("God's Rambo"). His only weapon was the stealth muscle car.
The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-tmo9csmjsraaqmnvaslyxw.jpeg
So, what did Meyer equip his car with? Well, he removed the rear window and put a metal panel instead, and added a ram bar at the front. And do you see that extra panel under the front of the car? Well, that's not just a panel....it's a mine-clearing blade. And if you take a closer look at the radiator grill, you'll notice a cute yellow rubber duck.........I don't why that's there.
The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-tkxupencsjsl7idaipvlra.jpeg
Apart from that, the US airforce also provided him with kevlar panels, steel-plated windows, paint that absorbs infra-red light, run-flat tires, heat detection, night vision and nitrous (which was there only for serious "get the hell out" situations). The original 5.7- litre V8 Camaro was tuned from 185hp to 220hp, and when nitrous was applied, the output increased to 440hp.
The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-tcdg3kfqoad12ekvvy_xq.jpeg
The entire car was basically an armor on wheels, but it was still very quick. It could accelerate to 200 km/h in 13 seconds. Steel plates were also put behind the seats and across the entire underside of the car. The doors and trunk were lined with Kevlar, and the driver also had radio equipment, fire extinguishers and two spare tires. Despite having all of those things inside, Meyer was able to fit extra 400kg of necessary food or sanitary supplies into the Ghost Camaro.
The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-xtkpgxs8tyi4nrzssk44_a.jpeg
Meyer's and Camaro's missions were astonishing, making deliveries during night and day. When not on duty, the car was very good at hiding from the police and army. Sure, Meyer was chased in it and the car even took a few bullets, but the damage was never big thanks to Meyer's well-timed nitrous shots, great knowledge of back roads, and Camaro's ability to be invisible on radars. That's why it was known as the "Ghost Car". At one moment it was there, at the other...well, it wasn't.

The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war-fjd9i0yftkubwp3anei_gq.jpeg

Happy Independence Day Guys~

source

Last edited by manaljain : 15th August 2018 at 09:12.
manaljain is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 09:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war

Did a very basic googling on this - there's very less information on this online except reports on drivetribe that came up 2 days ago, and the same report that came up on bangshift . com (link) a month ago.

Also when I expanded the language context, I found a polish website 2014 article (link)

Maybe I'm wrong, but IMO I am more bound to think someone has had a little creative time on his hands and come up with the above article(s) with a few black camaro pics and creative editing

Still it's a good read
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 09:48   #3
BHPian

re: The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war

Wow! I just came back after an awesome, rainy, morning drive on Independence Day. Came home and logged into T-BHP and this is the first thread I get to read. Thanks for sharing the story of this wonderful ghost Camero, @manaljain. Happy Independence Day to all.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 10:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
...there's very less information on this online except reports on drivetribe that came up 2 days ago,...

Maybe I'm wrong, but IMO I am more bound to think someone has had a little creative time ...
The first line got me interested, what if this was some black ops, super secret car which was kept a secret until now.

So a bit more of googling, got me to MuscleCarFan article.

From the pics on that page, there is an AutoBild article from Aug 2003.

So I wouldn't say it's just creativity at its run, may be there indeed was such a Camero.... Let me dig around a lill more. This should be interesting.
Spinnerr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 13:20   #5
BHPian

There is even a book on it available on Amazon.
akshaymahajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 07:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The story of an Armoured Chevy Camaro that saved 100s of lives in the Bosnian war

Counter logical. Not using illogical but...

Why tune up and then add two spares instead of one? Add 400kgs of supplies when the purpose was short and swift in out missions? Where not carrying a gun on self meant purely run and get out missions.

Does being based in Germany signify that deployment missions start from there?

What did research yield? True of False? Any actual use article?

Last edited by sudev : 17th August 2018 at 07:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks