Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 13:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mazda, Suzuki, Yamaha say sorry over wrong testing

Japanese manufacturers Mazda, Suzuki and Yamaha have issued an apology over improper fuel economy and emission tests conducted.

According to a government report, the companies cleared vehicle's fuel efficiency under improper conditions. The tests were conducted at a different speed, rendering the tests invalid. The test result samples were examined from different periods going back to 2012 in case of Suzuki. The move was prompted by the government after improper testing at Subaru and Nissan came to light last year.

In case of Japanese cars, no rules were broken or any recalls issued. The automakers didn't find any significant issues with the actual emissions and fuel economy figures. Out of 12,819 samples tested by Suzuki, 50% had been tested incorrectly. In case of Mazda, 4% tests were found to be irregular while 2% of Yamaha's test results were irregular.

Last year, Kobe Steel, Mitsubishi Corporation and Toray Industries - all suppliers to automakers globally, admitted fudging product data.

Mazda, Suzuki, Yamaha say sorry over wrong testing-suzukimotorpresidenttoshihirosuzukibowswithotherexecutivesapictureid1013604338.jpeg

Source: Reuters

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 15th August 2018 at 13:07.
blackwasp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 21:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mazda, Suzuki, Yamaha say sorry over wrong testing

Are the new standards set for fossil fuel based vehicles too difficult to achieve? Fudging of data / under reporting of emissions / cheat software - all seem to be new normal.

Are we heading for a disaster?
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 23:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think the authorities kept moving the bar on emissions. The automakers instead of being truthful kept saying they are fine with it. I think the emissions seen against performance/efficiency is what they are struggling with and were fudging the data.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 11:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Maybe , maybe not, but brings to my mind this news link I read the other day https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/c...alifornia.html. Makes one wonder if there is some correlation between strict emission/fuel efficiency mandates and cost/engineering challenges leading to rampant fraud within many OEMs
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 11:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Are the new standards set for fossil fuel based vehicles too difficult to achieve? Fudging of data / under reporting of emissions / cheat software - all seem to be new normal.

Are we heading for a disaster?
No.
What is happening, has been happening forever in human history and the reason is competitive pressure coupled with the fact that if consumer cannot really discern the difference it can be easily fudged.

The only issue today is that because of globalization and large corporations such things are appearing to be of big scale affecting large expanses of geographies.

Be rest assured, as we discuss such issue on this thread, there will be hundreds of such things happening in each organization, at various levels.

Last edited by alpha1 : 16th August 2018 at 11:27.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 14:11   #6
BHPian

Put short, there's no major engine manufacturer who's not cheating. It's just that not everybody has been called out yet. For example Isuzu. Having said this, i'd like to imagine 30 years later, how purely electric drivetrain efficiency figures would be fudged
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 15:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:

Quote:
The transport ministry of South Korea said it will ban approximately 20,000 BMWs from its roads, following 27 cases of engine fires in the country.

The order for the car ban will be effective as soon as owners receive a mail notice, which is from Aug 15, the transport minister said. The German automaker identified defects in the exhaust gas recirculation system, while the South Korean government is conducting a separate investigation into the case and may take legal action if deemed necessary.
Source: Paultan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks