Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2018, 17:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

On Elon Musk's tweet and stress levels

According to a media report, Tesla Chairman and CEO, Elon Musk has revealed that he is under tremendous stress. This has resulted in a fall in the share price of the electric carmaker and has put pressure on the company board to take action.

Earlier this month, Musk announced on Twitter that he plans to take Tesla private. However, government regulators launched an investigation into this as the announcement could have violated disclosure norms. It is also reported that the CEO clocks in around 120 hours every week and struggles to sleep at night. This has been taking a toll on his health.

One of the options rumoured to be discussed includes Musk stepping down or hiring a No. 2 executive who would assist the CEO. Musk also said that he has no immediate plans of stepping down from his positions in the company. Apart from Tesla, he is also the CEO of SpaceX and Founder of The Boring Company.

On Elon Musk's tweet and stress levels-img_0002.jpg

Source : NYTimes

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2018 at 15:03.
blackwasp is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 22:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: On Elon Musk's tweet and stress levels

Elon Musk & Tesla reminds me of Howard Hughes & Hughes Aircraft company. If reading wikipedia article about Howard Hughes is not your cup of tea, then I'd recommend Martin Scorsese's movie "The Aviator"

SmartCat is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Musk is a rare genius. But even he cannot run 3 companies all at once. Might be a smart move to draft in a CEO, with Musk taking on a more strategic role. We need him in good health for decades to come. Visionaries like him may not make financial sense, but it cannot be denied that he has been a game changer in whatever he has gotten into.
MaserQ is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Elon Musk & Tesla reminds me of Howard Hughes .....
A good comparison. Musk is not mysterious and reclusive like Hughes was but looking at his recent twitter meltdowns it seems like its better for geniuses to cultivate an aura mysterious efficiency. A man like that would probably do better to get off social media and get some sleep.
Roy.S is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the best sense making on Elon Musk has been done by Charlie Munger, who says "Personally, I’m scared of the guy." He feels Musk is brilliant and a genius, but his problem is that if he has an IQ of 190, he thinks it’s 250.

You can read a very interesting analysis on Elon Musk in the FS blog: https://fs.blog/2016/03/elon-musk-overconfidence/

Last edited by rrsteer : 21st August 2018 at 12:01.
rrsteer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:16   #6
BHPian

One suggestion: can we merge this thread with the "Tesla may be going private" thread as I believe these two topics are correlated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
but his problem is that if he has an IQ of 190, he thinks it’s 250.
That's extremely bad for business.

Totally agree with Charlie Munger (a pure genius) here.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 14:15   #7
BHPian

He looks a little tired too.

But you rarely see people go all in for the vision that they believe in.
Case in point the EV/Solar/Space companies in India.
And that's what sets them apart and fuels the innovation.

Just look at Steve Jobs.
BTW Munger and Buffet who got Jobs wrong at the beginning is walking back on their investments in Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I think the best sense making on Elon Musk has been done by Charlie Munger, who says [i]"Personally, I’m scared of the guy."
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
According to a media report, Tesla Chairman and CEO, Elon Musk has revealed that he is under tremendous stress. This has resulted in a fall in the share price of the electric carmaker and has put pressure on the company board to take action.

Last edited by johannskaria : 21st August 2018 at 14:19.
johannskaria is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 14:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Really bad reporting by TOI, just sensationalizing stuff. Tesla is always under immense media scrutiny for reasons well known and this just seems to be triggered after the open letter by Huffington (likely to promote her new wellness blog) which was rebutted by Musk in this tweet.

Nothing to see here people move along.. Hopefully if Tesla goes private all this nonsense will stop and he can run the company however he wants to.
quickdraw is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 15:06   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: On Elon Musk's tweet and stress levels

The NYTimes has an awesome article on this - link.

I think Musk really enjoys what he's doing, but he sure needs to delegate more. Working 120 hours a week on so many projects isn't the way to get things done. I hope they hire a new team right below him that can take care of operations.

As inappropriate as Musk's tweet was, there is no way that the Tesla board will fire Musk. He's like the Steve Jobs of Tesla.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 15:18   #10
BHPian

I totally loved this tweet from Mr Mahindra

Name:  Screen Shot 20180821 at 3.16.25 pm.png
Views: 9950
Size:  37.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Really bad reporting by TOI, just sensationalizing stuff.
Agree with you completely.

Last edited by johannskaria : 21st August 2018 at 15:26.
johannskaria is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 17:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The NYTimes has an awesome article on this - link.

I think Musk really enjoys what he's doing, but he sure needs to delegate more. Working 120 hours a week on so many projects isn't the way to get things done. I hope they hire a new team right below him that can take care of operations.

As inappropriate as Musk's tweet was, there is no way that the Tesla board will fire Musk. He's like the Steve Jobs of Tesla.
Wrong Example buddy. Steve jobs was indeed fired from Apple. That he did a backdoor entry is a different thing.
RaghuVis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 19:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Two controversial most outspoken executives Bob Lutz and Elon Musk, now are butting heads.

It’s Time For Tesla To Remove Elon Musk : Bob

Quote:
In my personal judgment, the board should take action and find a CEO. Not get rid of Elon — keep him as the visionary, keep him as the titular head of the company, and give him the honor and respect the founder of the company deserves
Elon Musk:
Quote:
if you have anyone who can do a better job, please let me know. They can have the job. Is there someone who can do the job better? They can have the reins right now

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st August 2018 at 19:31.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 21:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

*Sigh*

Apparently, traditional press reporting has taken a nose-dive.. I feel my IQ dropping every time I read anything related to this guy. It won't hurt if Musk himself, keeps the melodrama to a minimum. Am I too harsh? No. Please read on.

Elon Musk has been made out to be a real-life Tony Stark as per many reports.. not really, for starters Tony Stark has a double-masters from MIT (100x the engineering education of Musk), and secondly, Tony Stark's inventions of flight using a zero-aerodynamic suit at supersonic speeds and having an arc reactor within his body without frying his organs in the long run can be realized since his world is make-believe.. a fiction, compared to say certain real dreams of terraforming a 96% carbon-dioxide planet like Mars.

Tesla Motors, was founded by Marc Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard, both, it is believed that.. jumped onto the EV scene once they heard the news that Chevrolet gave up on the EV1 Project in 2003.. many of their mechanical and electrical engineers jumped ship onto Tesla, go the rumors. Elon Musk was simply an amateur programmer who was cash-rich after the sale of Zip2, another company BTW where he went public and the board vetoed his request to be CEO.

Guys like Elon Musk, Chris Sacca and Marc Cuban aren't technology moguls, they are moguls who got lucky at the right time and place at the infancy of information tech.

Musk had nothing to do with Tesla's birth.. his exit, if at all, isn't going to affect the company the least bit, good or bad. Many might hound me about education not being relevant when one has real-experience, but lets face it.. Apple was built by Steve Wozniak, not Jobs, and the real engineers built a Tesla, not a man with a BS in Economics and who spent only 2 days in his Ph.D program in material sciences and applied physics before dropping out.
dark.knight is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 22:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

It is also reported that the CEO clocks in around 120 hours every week and struggles to sleep at night. This has been taking a toll on his health.
While the hardworking can be appreciated, CEO working 120 hours a week points to a person centric company, not system centric. It will scare me not only as an investor but also as a customer.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 22:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Apparently, traditional press reporting has taken a nose-dive...
Traditional press means the likes NYT, CNBC, Bloomberg, etc...? If you feel they are praising Musk then you must be living under rock for too long. There is so much negativity going on against Musk and Tesla for years and especially in the last year or so. Not a single day goes by at CNBC without some negative FUD about Tesla.

If you are comparing Elon Musk with the likes of Marc Cuban then you are very ignorant. Without Musk Tesla would have dead long before they even brought their first car to market.

By the way, did you ever heard about SpaceX at all?

Last edited by theMAG : 21st August 2018 at 23:43. Reason: Trimming quoted content for readability.
sri_tesla is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks