Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 12:19   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen accused of ruining Mexican crops with weather-altering 'hail cannons'

Trouble doesn't stop VW as they seem to be in a spot yet again!

Not withstanding the emissions scandal that rocked and is being still investigated and prosecuted, VW has found themselves on the wrong foot yet again. This time for, wait for it Altering Weather

Quote:
Local groups have accused the German automaker of causing a dry spell with hail cannons that shoot sonic booms into the air to prevent the formation of hail. The devices are used to protect cars parked outside the factory from dents caused by hailstones

Quote:
Even though there is no evidence that the use of these devices causes a lack of rain, Volkswagen (VLKAF) of Mexico decided to modify its operation in order to maintain a harmonious relationship with its neighbours

Source.
https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/23/new...ght/index.html

Mods. Kindly move this to appropriate forum.

Last edited by RaghuVis : 24th August 2018 at 12:39.
RaghuVis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 15:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen accused of ruining Mexican crops with weather-altering 'hail cannons'

The funny thing is that how an engineering company VW gets into this kind of mumbo-jumbo (hail cannon) which is not even proven.

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th August 2018 at 15:03.
Old 24th August 2018, 19:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen accused of ruining Mexican crops with weather-altering 'hail cannons'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The funny thing is that how an engineering company VW gets into this kind of mumbo-jumbo (hail cannon) which is not even proven.
It remains unproven by the "general" science community, however, it is true that the ionosphere which is formed by the rays of the sun, and which forms a border for the magnetized field of the earth (also called separately as magnetosphere) can be affected by electrical/vibratory waves.

Basically the upper regions of earth are a plasmic field.. electricity in its various forms of vibration. I'm trying to simplify as much as possible for myself and people reading it. The best evidence we have is the aurora borealis which can be seen in the north pole due to natural electrical (plasmic) manipulation in the form of solar winds, which causes the charged particles to be pushed into the upper atmosphere due to variation in the magnetic field thus causing the light show.

Now that it is established that the upper regions of earth have content of ionized plasma.. one can also establish that firing micro-waves or any field of energy which causes a disturbance in the vibration by using instruments that can create an ion acoustic wave, can and will modify the natural equilibrium of the earth's field, also causing sounds in the process. Without the vibrations there would be no sound to dissipate.. hence when a pre-existing state of vibration is modified, it results in a sonic boom. Radio waves which are also modified state of vibrations.. are picked up and interpreted by the radios as sound, same with RADAR which emits sound waves and interprets the result on the screen depending on which object receives the vibrations in their limited range.

Only, in the case of radio waves/RADAR, they aren't a frequency that deeply disturb the plasmic workings of the atmosphere. Anything that can manipulate the vibrations using heat (microwaves) or sound (infrasonic waves) can and will cause disturbance in the natural cycle of ambient water vapour (the largest greenhouse gas on earth) forming crystals and hence becoming clouds.

But the ultimate question is does man have mastery of the cosmos? The answer is no.. much like water is polluted and contaminated but not controlled, this is a similar case.

https://wiki.oulu.fi/display/SpaceWiki/Ionosphere

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....2/2015JA021116

Last edited by dark.knight : 24th August 2018 at 19:40.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 23:29   #4
BHPian

The title of this thread is melodramatic and misleading. On the back of emission scandal, also mentioned in opening post, readers are made to expect a scandal of similar magnitude and scale. As an owner of a much loved VW car I don’t want this brand to be maligned unnecessarily. Request to please change the title.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 11:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen accused of ruining Mexican crops with weather-altering 'hail cannons'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Only, in the case of radio waves/RADAR, they aren't a frequency that deeply disturb the plasmic workings of the atmosphere. Anything that can manipulate the vibrations using heat (microwaves) or sound (infrasonic waves) can and will cause disturbance in the natural cycle of ambient water vapour (the largest greenhouse gas on earth) forming crystals and hence becoming clouds.
Hey hey, why are we mixing electromagnetic radiations - like visible light, microwave, radiowave, X rays, Gamma rays etc with mechanical vibrations like sound waves?

Also about what you say: are we absolutely sure and have demonstrated umpteen number of times that hail cannons prevent hail storms?
It will require only one instant of firing hail cannon but still ending up with a hail storm to disprove it.

Considering any typical weather phenomena, which in general affect square kilometers of area, involving cubic kilometers of air (and therefore millions of kg of air) - I find it hard to believe that something as puny as a human sized hail cannon can change the course of outcome in deterministic fashion.
Old 27th August 2018, 12:50   #6
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen accused of ruining Mexican crops with weather-altering 'hail cannons'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
The title of this thread is melodramatic and misleading. On the back of emission scandal, also mentioned in opening post, readers are made to expect a scandal of similar magnitude and scale. As an owner of a much loved VW car I don’t want this brand to be maligned unnecessarily. Request to please change the title.
Well, when I created the thread, I did not think of Melodrama to be honest. I was just calling spade a spade. Now that the title has been changed, the situation doesn't change at all.

If you read the article, it clearly says that they have started to reduce the use of this process. Now why would VW stop something if its perfectly legal. They know that this is very bad optics for them on the back of emissions scandal. The intention was not to declare this to be a scandal as big as emissions one. Also remember, we are in early days for this news. We cannot predict how this is going to turn out in coming days.

Regarding the love for car, I too own a VW car. I love it to the core and am extremely happy with my choice. That should not prevent me from standing against VW in case of any wrongdoing by them. I am Love your car, not the brand type of guy.
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks