Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 20:44   #1
BHPian

BMW 9-Series coming?

BMW just recently launched the 8 series and reports are already available in the international media on a possible 9 series 4 door coupe launch in 2020. The 9 series is expected to be a direct competition to Mercedes-Maybach S600.

BMW 9-Series coming?-bmw9frontpic4.jpg
Quote:
When asked whether BMW had plans for a 9 Series, van Hooydonk said: “Let’s say this: we won’t stop here [with the 8 Series]. Obviously our job is to have more ideas than the company can build, because the other way round would be very bad. “My team and I are now looking at 2021 and beyond – as far out as 2030. We have a lot of plans.”
Quote:
A large four-door coupé would likely prove particularly popular with high-end buyers in China, while a 9 Series would also tie in with the potential expansion of BMW’s SUV and electric i ranges. The firm has already trademarked every model name between i1 and i9, iX1 and iX9, and between X1 and X9.
Source:Autocar.UK
Flyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 21:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 9-Series coming?

I say , why not BMW. Look how Mercedes has now successfully used the Maybach brand and infused it as the higher end model of their flagship sedan.
Now I guess BMW probably does not have access to an already established luxury marque that they can use but I am sure there should be a market for a more luxurious/ loaded/powerful BMW sedan.
Old 29th August 2018, 22:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Now I guess BMW probably does not have access to an already established luxury marque that they can use ...
They have the most luxurious brand itself, The Rolls Royce. And that's a class apart.

I think an ultra luxury sedan/coupe with a BMW badge itself will be good enough to compete against Maybach.

Last edited by Flyer : 29th August 2018 at 22:42.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 06:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

They are not going to use RR as a more luxurious 7 series.
They have their work cut out for them but could be achievable given the market .
Old 30th August 2018, 11:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
They are not going to use RR as a more luxurious 7 series.
They have their work cut out for them but could be achievable given the market .
BMW & RR will never be mixed brands. The same way MB would have never made Maybach a sub brand in the Mercedes S-class unless they killed the Maybach marque model. These are simple and golden marketing rules.

MB has very cleverly chalked out two sub brands- AMG for sports and Maybach for ultra luxury. However, in the bargain they have forgone their marquee model that gave the RR a run for it's money.

While Maybach sub brand is a great strategy, it is also acceptance of defeat that Rolls Royce is unbeatable.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 17:58   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just like the number of gears (8, 9, 10, 11!!), I think manufacturers ought to put a lid on how wide they are taking the model range. Seems rather pointless to have a luxo-barge above the 7-Series IMHO. Plus, the 7-Series has been the BMW flagship for decades and that in itself gives the "7" prestige. I don't think BMW will bring a 9-Series above it and dilute the 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
MB has very cleverly chalked out two sub brands- AMG for sports and Maybach for ultra luxury.
Truly. BMW has its ///M & M-Sport, but nothing for luxury.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 11:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Truly. BMW has its ///M & M-Sport, but nothing for luxury.
Perhaps BMW didn't initiate a specific marque for luxury because Alpina exists. And of course there is BMW Individual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks