Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 00:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Car sales are slowing down worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I had tried to use the cabs for few days when there was the price war in early days. It made sense back then. But now with higher prices, I don't like to use them for daily commutes.
It still makes lot of sense to take Uber / Ola or the Metro especially with increased fuel costs, increased insurance premiums, increased traffic and reduced avg kms per hr

I for examples drive my bike for 2kms and park it at the Metro station and take Metro for another 10 Kms. Last 5 kms is through Ola or public bus. Time taken door to door is 1hr 5 mins, if I drive it's 1 hr 10 minutes. However I am not worried about Traffic or chaos on the roads and also get some work done enroute to office. It's a win win situation for me and also help reduce carbon footprint.
Old 19th September 2018, 08:27   #32
BHPian

Will end of the IC engine car also result in demise of F1, Dakar etc. If all manufacturers have access to latest EV tech then races will be reduced to evaluation of tyres and ball bearings, reliability not withstanding.
Old 20th September 2018, 15:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Unfortunately, the car industry has been quite slow in bringing out new electric cars especially in India. The fuel prices here are very high considering the per capita income here.
Slow? How many buyers can one find for a Dzire / Xcent / Amaze equivalent electric car at Rs. 12 - 16 Lakhs OTR, a 120 - 180 kms real world range, unknown resale value, battery replacement worth Rs. 7 Lakhs after 4th year and 15 Amp home socket charging time of 8 hours, with no other alternatives for charging?

That my friend is the status of electric cars if manufactured and sold in India today without any incentives factored in. Why would any right thinking auto manufacturer launch such a car and more importantly why would any right thinking customer buy such a car?

The costs need to come down, the incentives need to go up, the battery tech needs to improve, the charging points need to be more numerous, the resale value needs to be established, the service technicians need training, the battery recycling policy needs defining and lastly, the electricity needs to come from clean sources. If we continue burning coal for electricity, we are just replacing imported oil with desi Jharkhandi coal to run our cars!

So far the policy makers have been dancing around the problem . .. . Dilli dur ast!

EV EV sab kare
Policy aur incentive implement kare na koye
Jo desh policy aur incentive dono implement kare
Wahaan chahun ore EV hoye!

That is why Scandinavia has the highest penetration rates of EVs!

Last edited by Ferruccio : 20th September 2018 at 15:12.
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs_shetty87 View Post
Agreed, but isn't driving an experience in itself too? Late night, windows down, music, cramping a 5 seater hatchback with 7 or even 8 people.
Wonder if all of these simply don't matter to latest generations.
My elder daughter is 19. I bought a Nano Auto just so that I could teach my wife and two daughters to drive. No one is interested So I drive the Nano.

One very important psychological contributor is that to this generation of upper middle class kids a car is not something 'special'. Research shows that the novelty of any new technology or acquisition wears off after the first generation.

My generation was the first to acquire 'advancements' like a fridge, a phone, a tape-recorder, a mixie, a camera, a TV, an AC, a 2 wheeler and eventually a car - the holy grail of having made it in life! So for each of these acquisitions in the late 70s, 80 and even the early 90s the entire lane-full of neighbours, relatives far and near would turn up to celebrate the acquisition.

Both my kids drove home from the Maternity Hospital in the child seat of a car to a home that had all the above amenities. They have seen a succession of cars come and go in our household.

For them, sadly, a car has as much of a fascination as a new microwave. I am looking for a new microwave after the old one gave up the ghost. Their attitude and interest to acquiring a new car is just the same. If it is smaller than the current one, it is mildly disconcerting in terms of lounging space and poseur value amongst peers.

And Papa please, it needs a seperate AC in the rear. Global warming and blah blah, you know!

Last edited by Ferruccio : 20th September 2018 at 15:54.
Ferruccio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
My elder daughter is 19. I bought a Nano Auto just so that I could teach my wife and two daughters to drive. No one is interested So I drive the Nano.
!
I have been trying to get my wife to learn driving. I have managed to get her on the wheel exactly 3 times in the last one year.

She says not interested in driving and will take Uber/Ola and no interest in learning.

I reply what if there is an emergency will you wait for the Uber/Ola. It is a skill that needs to be learnt. Still unable to get her to drive.
Old 21st September 2018, 17:56   #36
BHPian

Guys,

See the video link I am attaching. This one hour will blow your mind!

Old 22nd September 2018, 12:53   #37
BANNED

With the ongoing (or upcoming) switch of technology - hybrid / electric, people realise that the current technology is headed the same way as the 'film camera'. So reluctance to change is natural. Let the smoke clear a bit, before I invest.
Old 24th September 2018, 21:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

You know how this thread makes me feel? Happy. Car sales are down globally? I am very happy. I also read and see how millenials are loathe to purchase cars/motorcycles/houses and it makes me even more happier. More public transport, more shared vehicles, lesser vehicles on the road, breathe easier. Car and motorcycle makers will have to scramble for ideas in the next decade to get more people to drive/ride. I am just filled with glee with the thought of how oil companies, car/motorcycle manufacturers are going to lose business. The tide is turning.
Old 28th September 2018, 16:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Slow? How many buyers can one find for a Dzire / Xcent / Amaze equivalent electric car at Rs. 12 - 16 Lakhs OTR, a 120 - 180 kms real world range, unknown resale value, battery replacement worth Rs. 7 Lakhs after 4th year and 15 Amp home socket charging time of 8 hours, with no other alternatives for charging?

That my friend is the status of electric cars if manufactured and sold in India today without any incentives factored in. Why would any right thinking auto manufacturer launch such a car and more importantly why would any right thinking customer buy such a car?

The costs need to come down, the incentives need to go up, the battery tech needs to improve, the charging points need to be more numerous, the resale value needs to be established, the service technicians need training, the battery recycling policy needs defining and lastly, the electricity needs to come from clean sources. If we continue burning coal for electricity, we are just replacing imported oil with desi Jharkhandi coal to run our cars!
It's ok if we burn coal. At least the money stays here instead of going abroad.

Now, I am not like the government asking to sell 500 KM range EV for 7 lakhs.

A Tesla Model S or a Jaguar I Pace at 50-60 lakhs will find loads of buyers at 60-70 lakh instead of the 5 series and E Class. Why don't we have them?

CKD assembly is all that is needed. I am personally not in favour of bringing down import duties or provide incentives. GST at 12% instead of 43 % itself is a big incentive.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:14   #40
A M
BHPian

Found this excellent analysis of the Global Auto Industry slowdown. Not very relevant to India at the moment I feel but found it making immense sense for the western world.

Most Viewed