Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 15:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled

All these spy shots resemble a Maserati Levante style kind of exterior. The below article also kinds of states that :
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...thing-we-know/

The Cayenne is the forerunner having being on the markets for more than a decade and has helped moved volumes for Porsche and recently the Urus for Lamborghini. Ferrari needs similar profits to run its business no doubt !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSO View Post
Not quite true, a lot of those will have already bought a Lamborghini Urus. Ferrari is quite late to the SUV party.
This is a different league altogether. Not the the typical regret crowd because something new came out in the market after a purchase. These folks can go get such cars.
Also by now the competition if not directly, all of them Cayenne, Urus, Cullinan, Bentayga, DBX etc. have all revealed their cards. Ferrari knows all their strengths and weakness and which gaps to close & I can smell Ferrari coming out with a revolutionary product.

There is a dialogue from an old Rajnikanth movie. “Late-A Vanthalum Latest-A Varuven” (Even if I come late, I will be the latest). Ferrari maybe late, but it will come in style.
Name:  l8.PNG
Views: 1788
Size:  518.1 KB
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 16:36   #17
BHPian

I’m sure Ferrari loyalists and those looking for an allocation for the next LaFerrari will buy the Purosangue, but everyone else has already bought the Urus.

Lamborghini is also planning on face lifting the Urus in 2022 and introducing a hybrid variant (Lamborghini has already made a hybrid in the form of the Sian, which works as a halo car)

A face lifted Urus won’t help the Purosangue in terms of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSO View Post
Ferrari spent Euro 60 million buying up land next to the existing factory in Maranello in 2020. This is mostly likely so they can build a new factory to produce the Purosangue as they have neither the space nor capacity in the existing production areas.
I assume Ferrari (like AM/Lamborghini) also want the Purosangue SUV to make up 50% of unit sales? Will the Q3 2021 analysts report say something about the Purosangue and sales expectations?
Darkviper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 18:09   #18
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkviper View Post
I’m sure Ferrari loyalists and those looking for an allocation for the next LaFerrari will buy the Purosangue, but everyone else has already bought the Urus.

I assume Ferrari (like AM/Lamborghini) also want the Purosangue SUV to make up 50% of unit sales? Will the Q3 2021 analysts report say something about the Purosangue and sales expectations?
Agree on the loyalists, those that want to keep their place in line for the LaFerrari 2 will all buy.

My guess would be Ferrari will want to keep Purosangue sales at no more than 25% of the mix. It will be margin dilutive to the overall business as its highly unlikely that you will be able to drive the same level of very high $ and margin customization on a SUV that you can on a SF90 or 812 GTS. No one in there right mind is going to spend $50k on go fast carbon bits on a SUV. Ferrari share price is to a large extent based on the very high margins the car business delivers so anything that dilutes this will need to be very carefully managed.
SSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 09:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Purosangue renderings.

Quote:
New renderings attempt to preview its rear-end design.

Recent spy shots show the SUV taking on a high-riding wagon-like appearance with a sloping roof and liftgate.
Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferraripurosanguerenderings-1.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferraripurosanguerenderings.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 12:21   #20
BHPian

My goodness, I wonder if the Italian government has contracted Ferrari to teach people around the world Italian etymology because it took me a while before I could figure out how to pronounce this name!

Anyway, I believe this is the right move for Ferrari as many people pointed out they need money to keep churning out hybrid-V12s that has so much power that they are basically undriveable on full throttle. If purists ran car companies, most car companies would be dead by now! And this car will sell, a lot! The disposable income of 1% and the 0.1% is such that they could easily buy a Lamborghini Urus, a Ferrari ‘unpronounceable name’ SUV while buying a DBX with the car change to take their dogs to the vet.
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 21:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Purosangue testing at Fiorano racetrack

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 21:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Purosangue spotted with Ferrari Roma like headlights.

Quote:
Ferrari has been using modified bodies of the Maserati Levante to test their upcoming SUV
Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-2022ferraripurosanguesuvtestmule15.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-2022ferraripurosanguesuvtestmule1.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-2022ferraripurosanguesuvtestmule3.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-2022ferraripurosanguesuvtestmule5.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-2022ferraripurosanguesuvtestmule10.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-2022ferraripurosanguesuvtestmule14.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 19:24   #23
SSO
BHPian

I don't think getting into SUVs is a particularly good move by Ferrari. A few thoughts on this from an article I recently wrote:

While not officially confirmed that Ferrari will be launching an SUV in 2022, rumored to be called the Purosangue, it is one of the world’s worst kept secrets. The funny thing is Ferrari spent years denying they would ever launch an SUV. The former CEO, Louis Camilleri, stated that he hated the word SUV and that it did not belong in the same sentence with Ferrari. Other Ferrari executives have stated that a SUV is not part of Ferrari’s DNA and the Enzo would roll over in his grave if it were to happen. Yet here we are. Poor Enzo is being set up to do a 180 and Ferrari’s DNA looks like it’s about to be permanently mutated.

Two questions come to mind; #1 why and #2 is it a good idea? I am sure that Ferrari will issue a very polished press release when they launch the Purosangue which will not call it a SUV and will explain why it is the right move for the Ferrari brand. However, I think the core reasons are quite basic, money and fear of losing out. On both counts, I believe Ferrari is being both shortsighted and misjudging the impact of their brand. It’s hard to argue against the fact that in the short term, a Ferrari SUV will boost the top line. While it might be margin dilutive, on a cash basis, it should add incremental profitability. However, there are easier ways for Ferrari to goose its financial results without having to put the essence of its DNA at risk.

With a near two year wait list, increasing production capacity to meet the excess demand on the existing portfolio would achieve much of the same outcome. Ferrari is also potentially losing a fair number of customers that simply don’t want to wait that long to get their car. Increasing production capacity so the wait list can be brought down to a more reasonable six months would not only increase sales for the few years it takes to ramp up production, but it would also give a long term boast as potential customers who would have walked away in the past, will now stay.

On the “fear of losing out” on the SUV craze, this is where I really believe Ferrari is making a mistake. They can afford to lose out. SUVs are not who they are, and they will detract Ferrari from being true to its core essence. Can Ferrari sell 5,000 SUVs a year? I am sure they can. Could Ferrari sell an additional 5,000 units of other models in the current portfolio if they really wanted to? I am sure they could do this too. While the SUV risks changing the core essence of the Ferrari brand, increasing production of the existing supercar portfolio has little to no risk. What’s driving this fear? Mostly what the Volkswagen Group has done with Bentley & Lamborghini and to a lesser extent Aston Martin. When I looked at the numbers though, the picture on if getting into SUVs is a huge success its not exactly clear cut. Also, it’s important to keep in mind that VW builds the Bentayga and Urus off of the same platform used for the Audi Q7 so the added development cost & complexity on the manufacturing side is fairly minimal.

As Bentley’s annual unit sales are similar to Ferraris, Bentley is an interesting case to look at. In 2014, the last year pre the Bentley Bentayga SUV launch, VW sold 11,033 Bentleys, in 2019 VW sold 12,430 Bentleys of which 5,232 were Bentaygas (I am using 2019 as it’s a cleaner base. 2020’s numbers are distorted by all the disruptions caused by Covid-19). That’s a 2.4% CAGR in terms of units and on a € basis the CAGR is only slightly better at 3.7%. It is not exactly impressive and hardly a major success. Net net, the vast majority of the Bentayga sales came from cannibalizing other Bentley models.

The Lamborghini numbers tell a bit of a different and much rosier story at first glance. I don’t believe it is as relevant to Ferrari given Lamborghinis much lower starting base and weaker brand equity. To give you an idea of the importance of Lamborghini in the VW Group, while even Seat and Skoda’s financial results are broken out, Lamborghini’s are just lumped in with Audi’s. In 2016, the last year prior to the Lamborghini Urus SUV launch, VW Group sold 3,579 Lamborghinis. In 2019, 8,664 Lamborghinis were sold. Of the 8,664 Lambos, 5,233 were Urus’ which would indicate that the Urus brough new buyers into the Lamborghini brand and the volume was fully incremental. The added volume would certainly have been a welcomed by the dealer network and taken Lamborghini from a borderline brand to relevant and more supportable. When looking at shorter term sales trends though, it seems that Urus sales have now flattened and will likely remain in the 5,000 units per annum range going forward. Lamborghini now has a situation where 60% of their sales are SUVs and the way this will change brand perception in the medium to long term is significant. For VW, turning Lamborghini into a SUV brand is probably not a major concern as long as that moves more units. What is also interesting is both Bentley and Lamborghini seem to have topped out at around 5,000 units for their respective SUVs.

So, is selling roughly 5,000 SUVs a year a good business decision for Ferrari? If they need to increase total volumes by 5,000 units, there are a lot of other ways to get there that do not put the brand at risk, add a huge amount of extra complexity to an already highly complex supply chain, and may cause poor Enzo to do back flips. On a purely profit basis, Ferrari will make more money on 500 next generation LaFerraris then it will on selling 5,000 Purosangues. Ferrari’s current market capitalization is $52 billion which means the market values Ferrari at $5.48 million for every car it produced in 2020. No other car company comes even remotely close (next closest is Tesla with a valuation at $1.2 million per car produced). That number will not hold if you throw 5,000 SUVs into the product mix. While SUVs may be the hot thing today, they might not be tomorrow and once launched, a Ferrari SUV is not something you can undo. Ferrari has done a great job of building shareholder value over the last half decade without an SUV and there is no reason it suddenly needs one now to continue to do so.
SSO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:21   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Rendered:

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-img20210515152018503.jpg

Link
Old 21st June 2021, 17:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Purosangue has been spotted on the streets of Maranello.

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-smartselect_20210621173137_instagram.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-smartselect_20210621173152_instagram.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-smartselect_20210621173202_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 18:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Ferrari Purosangue has been spotted on the streets of Maranello.
Seems that the vehicle is very poor in GC. So it is not India friendly
Old 1st August 2021, 13:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Purosangue rendered.

Quote:
Reports suggest the Purosangue will launch with a naturally aspirated V12.
Quote:
Ferrari says the Purosangue’s interior will be “spacious and comfortable” for four adults,
Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferraripurosanguesuvcarscoops42.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferraripurosanguesuvcarscoops5.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferraripurosanguesuvcarscoops5555.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 21:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Purosangue SUV makes first appearance in production form.

Prototypes have finally started testing with production-spec bodywork instead of specially adapted Maserati Levante shells.

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferrari_purosangue_4.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferrari_purosangue_8.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferrari_purosangue_15.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferrari_purosangue_11.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferrari_purosangue_10.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferrari_purosangue_6.jpg

Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-ferrari_purosangue_1.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th November 2021 at 21:31.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 18:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Ferrari Purosangue SUV makes first appearance in production form.

Attachment 2238930

looks very low slung , unlike other super SUVs, kind of like a raised gtc4 lusso
Attached Thumbnails
Purosangue, Ferrari's new SUV now unveiled-2020ferrarigtc4lussocarbuzz398543.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2021, 01:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoi View Post
looks very low slung , unlike other super SUVs, kind of like a raised gtc4 lusso
Very true!! I was about to say the same!!
It looks like a taller Ferrari FF!!

I am not sure why they to need to call it an SUV, when it clearly seems it isn't!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks