Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 06:57   #136
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn arrested in Tokyo. EDIT: Carlos escapes from Japan!

Lawyer apologizes for the worker disguise which clearly didn't work!

Source

Quote:
A lawyer on Carlos Ghosn’s defence team has apologised for encouraging him to leave detention this week disguised as a workman, saying he feared he had damaged the former Nissan chair’s reputation.

Not only did the widely mocked getup, intended to throw reporters off the scent, fool no one. It also heightened already intense media interest in Ghosn, who was released on bail on Wednesday.

Takashi Takano admitted on Friday that the “amateurish” disguise had been his idea, and acknowledged the ploy had backfired.

“The disguise was all planned and carried out by me,” he wrote in a blogpost. “As a result, my immature plan has tarnished the reputation that he has devoted his whole life to building. I feel sorry about that.”
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 08:40   #137
BHPian

re: Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn arrested in Tokyo. EDIT: Carlos escapes from Japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Seriously, this whole thing was totally uncalled for. With so much of media attention around Ghosn, everyone was anyways following the case.

The new legal team has started showing its impact. The old team was unable to get Ghosn out on bail twice and this man did it in the first attempt. I expect more good news to follow. The bail conditions though are pretty tough: USD9 million + camera surveillance + limited access to information and what not!
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 01:07   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this old documentary about the Nissan turn around Ghosn orchestrated.

Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:32   #139
BHPian

More trouble for Ghosn:

Ghosn is now being probed by Nissan over transfer of funds through an Omani car distributor for personal use. Nissan says that Ghosn approved USD35 million in payments to a distributor in Oman between 2011-18 and has found certain evidences that the Omani company may have helped Ghosn purchase a Yacht and funded an investment company partly owned by Ghosn’s son.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 15:16   #140
BHPian

Carlos Ghosn is preparing to make his first statement. Looks like, not surprisingly, he is going to fight this with all his might.

Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn arrested in Tokyo. EDIT: Carlos escapes from Japan!-83615.jpg
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 07:05   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Ghosn arrested again for more alleged financial misconduct.

Quote:
Japanese prosecutors arrested Carlos Ghosn for a fourth time following a raid early Thursday at his Tokyo residence, signaling a steep escalation of the legal problems facing the ousted auto executive still awaiting trial in Tokyo.
Ghosn's reaction:
Quote:
In a statement released after his arrest Thursday, Ghosn vowed he “would not be broken” and said he may have to postpone his plans for an April 11 news conference. “My arrest this morning is outrageous and arbitrary,”
Quote:
It is part of another attempt by some individuals at Nissan to silence me by misleading the prosecutors. Why arrest me except to try to break me? I will not be broken
Nissan plans to hold an extraordinary shareholder meeting on April 8 to remove from the automaker's board Ghosn and Greg Kelly, the American director who was indicted as his alleged conspirator.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th April 2019 at 07:08.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 08:28   #142
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Ghosn is now being probed by Nissan over transfer of funds through an Omani car distributor for personal use.
Among other things, it is confirmed that Nissan paid for the tuition fees of his children. The man has most definitely used corporate funds for personal expenses. What a penny-wise, pound-foolish man. Looks like he took the cost-cutting a bit too close to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Carlos Ghosn is preparing to make his first statement. Looks like, not surprisingly, he is going to fight this with all his might.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I find it interesting that he's arrested just after making an announcement about his first public statement. Clearly, Japanese authorities want him to shut up.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:36   #143
BHPian

Also, now he is no more on the board of Renault as well.

Quoting from Bloomberg:

"Renault on Wednesday also made changes to its governance. Ghosn will quit a slimmed-down board along with Cherie Blair and Philippe Lagayette, the company said. Bloomberg reported on the planned changes last month. Annette Winkler, the former head of Daimler AG’s Smart brand of cars, will be proposed as a new director."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...fight-in-japan
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ghosn arrested again for more alleged financial misconduct
This Dude is gonna get arrested more times than Brian O'Conner and Dominic Toretto
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 17:50   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Source
Typically Japanese.

The guy who he is apologising to has already ruined his reputation by his own doing, which is why the lawyer got the job.
Old 4th April 2019, 18:05   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

The erstwhile Chairman of Renault and Nissan has been arrested again early this morning in Japan for more allegations of financial misconduct and for the fact that he may destroy evidence. He was released about a month ago after spending 104 days in prison.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/03/b...pan/index.html

Quote:
"My arrest this morning is outrageous and arbitrary," Ghosn told CNN Business via a spokesperson, "It is part of another attempt by some individuals at Nissan to silence me by misleading the prosecutors. Why arrest me except to try to break me? I will not be broken. I am innocent of the groundless charges and accusations against me."
The arrest comes just a day after Ghosn took to Twitter, vowing to "tell the truth" behind his shocking downfall at a press conference next week.
It's an interesting facet of the Japanese laws where the conviction rates are about 98-99 % as compared to our 46 % .

By now the ex-Chairman must have become a familiar face in Japanese jails. He must have also made friendships with Nissan and Datsun owners (sales of Renaults are miniscule in Japan), who might also be his fellow convicts there in the jail, discussing about newer models in the pipeline that may be out by the time their jail terms end !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th April 2019 at 18:07.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 23:00   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Among other things, it is confirmed that Nissan paid for the tuition fees of his children. The man has most definitely used corporate funds for personal expenses. What a penny-wise, pound-foolish man. Looks like he took the cost-cutting a bit too close to home.
In absence of any incriminating evidence, I find this comment outrageous. Many organizations have all perk paid packages for senior members and expats; in some cases even taxes are paid by organizations and beneficiary employees only need to pay tax on the tax perks (the tax paid by company).

And, based on information from friends in Renault Nissan India, both Renault & Nissan bear almost all expenses for expats in India and other countries (including home rent, school fees, two cars with drivers for official and family use, travel expenses to home country and many more). So, Mr. Ghosn might have received similar benefits.

Quote:
I find it interesting that he's arrested just after making an announcement about his first public statement. Clearly, Japanese authorities want him to shut up.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
This Dude is gonna get arrested more times than Brian O'Conner and Dominic Toretto
To me, this all seems to be a big plan to shut him out. He was pushing for full merger of Renault & Nissan, which was not taken kindly by Japanese top shots and government.

Mind you, given the slowdown in Japanese economy for almost a decade, Jap government has nudged the Japanese industry leaders for something like 'Japan first' ; which means give more business and jobs to Japanese companies and public. Now, don't ask me the source of this as I haven't read it somewhere, but have been suffering from this 'new' approach.

Disclaimer: I am admirer of Mr. Carlos Ghosn and spell bound with his leadership way.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 6th April 2019 at 23:11.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 15:29   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan holds extraordinary shareholders meeting. Ousts former boss from its board.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1170
Size:  99.3 KB

Source:Nissan

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th April 2019 at 15:33.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 14:02   #149
BHPian

- Carlos Ghosn's pre recorded video on his arrest and his defence...worth seeing even though its slightly long.
mazda4life is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 09:33   #150
BHPian

Whether he committed a financial crime or not, it seems the curses of all the workers who lost their jobs during cost-cutting seems to be showing their effect.

Whatever it is, being convicted in Japan is a very difficult thing to get out of. Maybe he needs some friends in the Yakuza
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed