Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2020, 01:28   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a mystery how he got out. I have seen some media reporting he was smuggled out inside an instrument (contrabass) case?!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 03:37   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn arrested in Tokyo. EDIT: Carlos escapes from Japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It is a mystery how he got out. I have seen some media reporting he was smuggled out inside an instrument (contrabass) case?!

Jeroen
This is Game of Thrones in real life! Sounds so much like Tyrion’s escape from Westeros to Essos. Lots of details are eagerly awaited.
Old 1st January 2020, 08:36   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn arrested in Tokyo. EDIT: Carlos escapes from Japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Carlos Ghosn hides in an instrument box before escape. Reportedly aided by officials in the Lebanese government.

Quote:
Lebanese television station MTV believes a Gregorian band played at Ghosn home. When the band packed up, Ghosn was hidden in one of the group's largest instrument cases and spirited to a local airport where a private jet was waiting.

Reports indicate Ghosn flew from Tokyo to Istanbul, Turkey, where he transferred to a flight bound for Lebanon's capital Beirut.
Quote:
He is regarded as a hero in his ancestral home land, and has received outspoken support from people connected to the current government.
Lebanon has no extradition treaty with Japan, so if the former CEO is careful with his travels, he may never tried in person in Japan.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st January 2020 at 08:38.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 08:45   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
I feel for the lawyer, poor guy put his reputation on line to get him a bail ( which in itself rare in Japan).
Ghosn did not get bail because of his lawyers reputation. It was a case, argued and an order received.

No lawyer gives his personal assurance for the conduct of his client before or after bail or for that matter at any stage during trial

Last edited by bigron : 1st January 2020 at 08:50.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 08:55   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Carlos Ghosn hides in an instrument box before escape
Is Japanese system that much vulnerable? I thought it happens only in India.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 09:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

Read up on "Ghosn with the wind" and "Ghosn, Ghosn, Gone." here
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 12:29   #187
Team-BHP Support

My guess is that he must have been hiding in the instrument case declared as diplomatic baggage. The Lebanese Government is so cash strapped that he must have been able to entice them. I won't be surprised if he starts advising the Lebanese Government
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 13:46   #188
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My guess is that he must have been hiding in the instrument case declared as diplomatic baggage. The Lebanese Government is so cash strapped that he must have been able to entice them. I won't be surprised if he starts advising the Lebanese Government

Complete details will eventually be divulged, this is Japan and they will get to the bottom of this. It's like a personal insult the way they see it.

One theory is he used a fake passport and took the plane from a lesser known airport where he wasn't recognized. With his name, he definitely couldn't have left on any of his 3 passports (even if they weren't submitted to the police)

Last edited by AZT : 1st January 2020 at 14:03. Reason: Formatting
Old 1st January 2020, 17:28   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Don’t know what the truth is - but must say I was shocked at how the Japanese justice system works. Holding someone who poses a flight risk in jail may be ok. But using that time to interrogate them is ridiculous - shouldn’t he have been able to exercise the equivalent of the 5th? And a 98% conviction rate makes one wonder if the system is fair at all.

But it holds some lessons for India. We face the opposite problem - anyone moderately affluent gets bail quickly (except if senior politicians take a personal interest in preventing that). And our cops fail miserably in collecting evidence. And perhaps some judges confuse “beyond reasonable doubt” with “beyond all possible doubt”. Can you think of any prominent case where there has been a conviction in even 2-3 years?

There was an interesting Article in the FT (if I recall correctly) suggesting that Ghosn submit himself to a trial in France if he really believes he is innocent. Somehow I doubt he will do that. But who knows? Can a guy like him live in Lebanon - without being able to travel anywhere? Perhaps that may seem worse than a Japanese prison cell.
Hayek is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 19:48   #190
BHPian

This is bad news for the company as well as the alliance. Not only will it take more time to turn around, it makes it all the more tough.

But it is not end of the world for Nissan-Renault globally. VW's emission scandal looked like it will close the company at one time. Today, no body talks about it. So, lets take this news with a pinch of salt. As for Nissan India, because it is already in deep crisis, this might prove to be the last nail if not the reason.
Old 1st January 2020, 19:57   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
He is most likely going to run for office there according to CNN. He is much loved by the Lebanese and might ride the sympathy wave to get on top.

And once he is the government, there is little the Japanese can do with someone who holds a diplomatic passport globally.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 20:13   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
He is most likely going to run for office there according to CNN. He is much loved by the Lebanese and might ride the sympathy wave to get on top.

And once he is the government, there is little the Japanese can do with someone who holds a diplomatic passport globally.
His ethnic profile means he can only run for President. However the leadership division based on ethnic lines has ruined the country. Thats why a lot of the protests have happened.

He might get the constitution changed. He has a powerful personality. I have seen it for myself!

Last edited by ajmat : 1st January 2020 at 20:14.
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:18   #193
BHPian

Since everyone is speculating , i will tell you my version of this :

He did not do it by himself, he had help.

The man may be a great CEO but he is not a professional escape artist. At 63 , you don't get inside a music instrument case and expect to live to tell the world of your escape. I can't believe that this story is being passed on to the public. Houdini could have perhaps managed it at his physical best. Besides, he was under constant supervision. Such escapes need months of planning , preparation and trial runs. Only the best intelligence agencies of the world could have executed a "grab" like this. France / Lebenon : You chose your pick.
srini1785 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:29   #194
BHPian

A movie can be made with Ghosn himself playing the lead role. He is still a charismatic personality.

Will his escape bring to light the judicial system prevailing in Japan? Will it be a set back for Japan in the international arena? I'm curious and eagerly waiting to hear his side of the story.
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:53   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
He did not do it by himself, he had help.

. Besides, he was under constant supervision. Such escapes need months of planning , preparation and trial runs. Only the best intelligence agencies of the world could have executed a "grab" like this. France / Lebenon : You chose your pick.
Some ex-militias are rumoured to have planned and executed this. He has the funds. He must have been sedated, crammed in that case so that no sound or anything happens and "unpacked" mid flight!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks