Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 04:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving in the UK for Indians - Theory, Hazard Perception & Practical Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
I'm impressed. Thanks for the post.
General population is happily ignorant on basic road laws and safety precautions. So we need such strict licensing system to reduce accidents and ultimately deaths.

But everyone above 18 years can get a license in India. DL is more like an age proof that one is above 18 years of age than that one is knowledge and competent enough to drive in public roads.

We need Driving license system reforms in India ASAP.
Thanks Arwin07. I believe the insurance companies can bring in a change in the attitude of the people. People understand money the most. If the insurance companies could create policies where there would be reduced insurance premiums for people undergoing safety drivers courses, I am sure people will take the classes. But the problem is that corruption will percolate into those driving schools as well and people will start getting safe driver certificates by just paying some more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Great thread, thank you.
I just love the courtesy you get on the road in the UK, and honestly find it very stressful when coming back to India and driving here. India has a very long way to go to ever be a decent place to drive, and unfortunately I don't think I'll ever see that in my lifetime (I'm not even 30 yet!).
Thanks s4ch! I agree to your points but I have a counter argument. Would I really want the conditions in India to improve? Sorry to be the devil's advocate. I have been born and brought up in India, so it is easy for me to adapt to the conditions there. In fact I get bored when I drive anywhere else. The twisty B roads in UK still provide some thrill specially if it rains, otherwise I feel drowsy after driving for sometime in the UK. USA was worse, I once fell asleep while riding a motorcycle and I was not sleep deprived! In comparison, I have hardly felt drowsy in India over super long distance drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Very informative post, makes one appreciate the detailed, methodical & thorough approach that overseas driving tests have (for good reason). Not to mention the cost. A comparison with our country is inevitable. If we think about it, all this might never be possible in our country. Why? One word - population. I read somewhere that today in an average city, about 500 people appear for driving tests daily. There's no way each of them can be subjected to a rigorous test within the eight working hours of the test centre. Ergo - the test is over in 5-10 min by just driving in an eight/circle/whatever. Maybe some test centres are more strict, but the overall scene is of laxity. Driving schools have an obvious nexus with the test centre. Probably 20% of the fees of the driving school go into the pockets of their 'preferred examiner' within the test centre. If international driving test standards were to be adopted in our country, I suspect one will have months of waiting before one is allotted a slot. Even then, the attitude of the people will need a sea change before road etiquette improvement can be seen in our country.
Thanks superbad! You are right, comparison with our country is inevitable. But I deliberately wanted to avoid that discussion, hence did not mention anything on that part. However, back in Kolkata I had tried a lot to convince quite a few people to undertake a safety driver's course conducted by SS-Traveller. I was not able to do it, maybe people did not think that I had the credibility to request them to do something. Samba was better and was able to convince them. Here is a thread on that - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ng-course.html (Kolkata enthusiasts attend the Low Risk Safe Driving course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Thanks for taking the effort to put all this together. Useful for both long term residents and visitors.

And I think (considering this to be a petrol head site), it would be useful to bring in quirks in terms of driving aspects in different regions and what to expect. Case in point - 'Roundabouts' are as British as 'Jug handle turns' to New Jersey USA and 'frontage roads' to Texas and 'Yield on Green' in USA. I for one would be interested in knowing what are those small things in other countries.
Thanks mmxylorider. Good point, I remember the jug handle turns now that you have mentioned it. I had completely forgotten about it. I dont understand one thing about roundabouts, I had read somewhere long time back that roundabouts are a cheaper and more effective way of controlling traffic compared to traffic lights. But here in UK there are many roundabouts with traffic lights as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
True. Applying common sense would also make a world of a difference in our home country India. This is what we lack the most and something that is not covered in the curriculum for driver training.

I got my New Zealand drivers license early this year. I prepared well. Took all of 4 months to get myself familiar with the road code (A lot of similarity to the UK). I knew how to drive so that was less of a challenge but there are somethings you must do as part of the road code, when you drive.

During my practical driving test, I did not nail it 100%. There were a couple of minor errors that I did but not enough to cause a fail. While waiting to take a right turn, I was stopped in the flush median waiting for oncoming traffic to pass. The instructor asked me what are my immediate hazards and I called them out. You observe things around you and call out your hazards. I missed looking in my rear view mirror. The car waiting behind me was a hazard.

Another instance was an an odd shaped T intersection. I was coming up from the right of the T and headed straight. It was not exactly arrow straight to get the other side of the "T". A slight turn to the left and right was needed to negotiate this intersection. There was no round about but a sort of flush median in the middle of the T. I did not indicate as I cleared the T so that was the second minor error. In the end the Supervisor was pleased and I passed.

A lot was depending on this test to come through as I had planned a short trip the next day. Not that I could not drive as my Indian license was still valid for a few more months. I wanted this to come through as it was a matter of pride to drive in another country under their rules, their terms and you had succeeded. Also; a drivers license is pretty much like carrying your PAN card in India. It is valid for everything.

Your point on the cost of learning to drive in India is very true. It costs a lot more for driving lessons in the developed world. I am going through this now with my wife taking lessons with the AA. The cheaper alternatives are not all that cheaper too.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks sandeepmohan. Very good points about the hazards, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Thanks BlackPearl for this very informative post.

It took me quite a while to start driving in the UK. My first drive was in a media car around 7 months after moving to the UK. I used the time to understand all the rules when I was out on the roads with my fellow British friends.

I had also driven in the US and South Africa prior to this I didn't face any issues and most of the rules were explained by my British classmate.

But, as mentioned in your post, there is so much more to learn. Although I was considering it, I never took the test for a UK license. Some of the things you have mentioned, like Hazard Perception and Breakdowns are essential in India as well and more drivers need to educated on these aspects.
Thanks ChiragM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
Congratulations !! It is indeed a great feat. I do agree that your best chance of passing are in the first attempt.

I took lessons from a desi and I haven't been able to pass in my three attempts, although according to my instructor I am not making any faults during class, but I end up making one in test. Although, I have driven much in UK without a single ticket or narrow escape for a year, and I understand all rules. I end up getting extremely nervous during the the practical specially after going through the same saga. My last examiner who was from Indian origin suggested me to unlearn all my Indian driving instincts.
Hope to pass in my next attempt.I have already spent close to £700.

To add to my agony, are the worst rated Driving centers in East London (Wanstead and Barking)

Which driving center did you gave your practical test at ?
Do you feel taking classes from AA would be helpful, would you suggest ?
I don't think you need more lessons. Could you please elaborate on the kinds of faults that the examiner had given you? I think those who are driving in the UK will be able to help you out.
Driving centres matter as well. I have heard that the pass percentage is much higher in centres outside London. I gave my practical test in Uxbridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
How I wish this thread came up a year ago! I too cleared this in first attempt at Southall centre earlier this year. Took 10 hr driving sessions. Passed with 2 minors.

Got a used mini MPV too (will share the buying and ownership experience soon).
Congratulations Jeep, please share the ownership experience! It seems that there are quite a few team-bhpians in and around London. Let us plan for a team-bhp meet.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 08:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

2. Observe all posted speed limits and road signs -

The speed limits change frequently, so the key here is observation. Some of the GPS apps show speed limits, so better to use them if possible
Any specific reason for frequent change of speed limits?
Thanks for the lessons black pearl. Its worth the 5 stars.!
How about the penalties for rash driving, wrong lane, over speeding etc. Can you please throw some light on that as well!

Last edited by coolmind : 27th November 2018 at 09:15. Reason: Added a comment.
coolmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

The first couple of weeks after I returned from UK i had a tough time navigating the two largest roundabouts (then without traffic lights) in my city; because I was putting to use all the good road manners I learnt while being there and so was giving way to the traffic from my right and wanted to see if it works here but I wasn't making any progress.

So what happened later? Authorities eventually realised people didn't know how to use a roundabout so they put traffic lights on it.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th November 2018 at 09:40.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 11:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The first couple of weeks after I returned from UK i had a tough time navigating the two largest roundabouts (then without traffic lights) in my city; because I was putting to use all the good road manners I learnt while being there and so was giving way to the traffic from my right and wanted to see if it works here but I wasn't making any progress.

So what happened later? Authorities eventually realised people didn't know how to use a roundabout so they put traffic lights on it.
Sankar - this was your 5K post. Congrats!

A roundabout provides for 3 main benefits.
1. Unidirectional (1-way) traffic flow as opposed to 4-5 street intersection where vehicles are coming in from all directions. This also allows for continuous traffic movement as opposed to signals or Stop signs.
2. An easy way to reduce speed of vehicles crossing the intersection preventing speeding of through drivers
2. Attention is focused in 1 direction (Depending on LHS/RHS driving). This along with reduced speed provides better safety for all including crossing pedestrians.

Traffic signals are generally brought in when the intersecting roads have varied traffic density.

Last edited by mmxylorider : 27th November 2018 at 11:36. Reason: Missed Content
mmxylorider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 11:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this, @BlackPearl. I passed my UK driving test - also in Uxbridge - way back in 2000. Brings back some fond memories. At that time, we did not have a separate hazard perception test - those questions were built into the theory test. We also did not have the independent driving section.

Passing the UK driving test certainly has made me a far better driver. Trouble is, nowadays, I get frustrated at others who are not so proficient on the road.

I failed first time. It was a HUGE blow to my ego. I had to eat crow when the examiner explained exactly how and why I had made a dangerous mistake, and there was no accident because the other car on the road anticipated my mistake. I had failed to look ahead of me when parallel parking on a narrow street. Despite lessons from the AA (I think my instructor was not so great), I did not realise that the front of the car will swing out and go a bit into the wrong side of the road when parallel parking.

I requested a different instructor, who was really good, and made sure to point out how and why I was a safe driver along with the minor errors I was making. It boosted my confidence. I passed second time with one minor error - examiner told me I hang on to the gear lever just a tad too long. I (even today) have a tendency to drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the gear stick.

I also almost failed my eyesight test second time around - and I still don't need glasses!! As we walked out of the building towards the car, the examiner stopped, asked me to stand beside him, and said "read the number plate of that silver car" and waved his hand in the general direction of a row of parked cars. My eyes went first to an old silver Citroen and I confidently read its number plate. The examiner exclaimed "What?!?!" and then, after a minute's pause, asked "which car are you looking at?" When I pointed and told him I was looking at the Citroen, he shook his head and told me that he had meant the silver Ford. At the end of the test, the examiner told me that the Ford was about 25 yards away, while the Citroen was about 50 yards away.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 27th November 2018 at 11:56.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations !! It is indeed a great feat. I do agree that your best chance of passing are in the first attempt.

I took lessons from a desi and I haven't been able to pass in my three attempts, although according to my instructor I am not making any faults during class, but I end up making one in test. Although, I have driven much in UK without a single ticket or narrow escape for a year, and I understand all rules. I end up getting extremely nervous during the the practical specially after going through the same saga. My last examiner who was from Indian origin suggested me to unlearn all my Indian driving instincts.
Hope to pass in my next attempt.I have already spent close to £700.

To add to my agony, are the worst rated Driving centers in East London (Wanstead and Barking)

Which driving center did you gave your practical test at ?
Do you feel taking classes from AA would be helpful, would you suggest ?
Sorry to hear about this. From each of your tests you should have been told on which points you have failed. Explain these to your instructor and he will be able to help you specifically with these. If you have been using the same instructor all this time then I would suggest a change. The AA driving school is very good but it mostly depends on your instructors attitude and patience. Book a single lesson with someone else, explain your predicament and then take it from there after seeing how the lesson goes.

I took my test in Reading, it actually is one of the harder areas to take a practical test as Reading town centre is quite complicated with lane markings and traffic flow etc. That too, I took it at around 9am during peak rush hour! In a way, this was also a good thing as there was so much traffic that the actual distance we covered in the test was very little. However, my instructor was very familiar with the test route and general area and had taken me through the most common routes the day before. This helped greatly. Maybe you could ask your instructor to do this for you as well and it should help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Any specific reason for frequent change of speed limits?
Thanks for the lessons black pearl. Its worth the 5 stars.!
How about the penalties for rash driving, wrong lane, over speeding etc. Can you please throw some light on that as well!
The courts can fine you and ‘endorse’ your driving record with penalty points if you’re convicted of a motoring offence. Endorsements must stay on your driving record for 4 or 11 years, depending on the offence. You can be disqualified from driving if you build up 12 or more penalty points within a period of 3 years. A full list of points available here: https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-en...penalty-points

Your licence will be cancelled (revoked) if you get 6 or more points within 2 years of passing your test. Any penalty points on your provisional licence that haven’t expired will be carried over to your full licence when you pass your test. However, your licence will be cancelled if you get any further penalty points that take you up to a total of 6 or more within 2 years of passing your driving test. If your licence is cancelled within 2 years, then you’ll have to apply and pay for a new provisional licence and pass both theory and practical parts of the driving or riding test again to get a full licence.

Quote:
Thanks s4ch! I agree to your points but I have a counter argument. Would I really want the conditions in India to improve? Sorry to be the devil's advocate. I have been born and brought up in India, so it is easy for me to adapt to the conditions there. In fact I get bored when I drive anywhere else. The twisty B roads in UK still provide some thrill specially if it rains, otherwise I feel drowsy after driving for sometime in the UK. USA was worse, I once fell asleep while riding a motorcycle and I was not sleep deprived! In comparison, I have hardly felt drowsy in India over super long distance drives
Yes would definitely want the conditions to improve in India! While I agree it can be quite boring to drive in the UK compared to here, when it comes to the literal point of life and death on the road, as it is here in India, I think it's a no brainer that we need to improve.
s4ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Sankar - this was your 5K post. Congrats!

A roundabout provides for 3 main benefits.
1. Unidirectional (1-way) traffic flow as opposed to 4-5 street intersection where vehicles are coming in from all directions. This also allows for continuous traffic movement as opposed to signals or Stop signs.
2. An easy way to reduce speed of vehicles crossing the intersection preventing speeding of through drivers
2. Attention is focused in 1 direction (Depending on LHS/RHS driving). This along with reduced speed provides better safety for all including crossing pedestrians.

Traffic signals are generally brought in when the intersecting roads have varied traffic density.
Both systems work well if basic lane discipline is enforced and/or people care about it.

But traffic signals on a roundabout are retrograde, but probably necessary where people don't know how to use a roundabout. The problem about lights on a roundabout, especially the ones I have to use frequently, is that vehicles on inner lane get squeezed between the wall and the vehicle on the outside lane as they approach the waist high roundabout. Or there is always a two wheeler who squeezes between the wall and the vehicle on the inner lane. When the lights turn green there is mad rush towards the circle.

No traffic lights
Driving in the UK for Indians - Theory, Hazard Perception & Practical Tests-jakarta_bundaran_hi_.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

Few complex roundabouts without traffic lights, for people who know how to use them. Won't work here!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_...ut_(Colchester)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_...emel_Hempstead)

Mythbusters did a test on roundabouts vs traffic lights, but the video is not available anymore but the details are here.
https://jalopnik.com/this-test-prove...y-s-1447987773

Root cause for all evils on our roads is lack of lane discipline and ego, apart from being generally inconsiderate.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 19:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about this. From each of your tests you should have been told on which points you have failed. Explain these to your instructor and he will be able to help you specifically with these. If you have been using the same instructor all this time then I would suggest a change. The AA driving school is very good but it mostly depends on your instructors attitude and patience. Book a single lesson with someone else, explain your predicament and then take it from there after seeing how the lesson goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

I don't think you need more lessons. Could you please elaborate on the kinds of faults that the examiner had given you? I think those who are driving in the UK will be able to help you out.
Driving centres matter as well. I have heard that the pass percentage is much higher in centres outside London. I gave my practical test in Uxbridge.
Thanks for your suggestions. I am certainly looking towards having 1 or 2 classes with a new instructor, probably from AA and appear for the test again.

Mistakes I made in my attempts -

Attempt 1

I was heading towards the famous Redbridge from Dual Carriageway and examiner asked me to take second exit from the roundabout. I could not see the sign board properly as I was on 50 MPH limit and could not place judge the lane I should have been. I tried to move to a left lane to exit and examiner touched my steering wheel stating there was car behind and I did not check mirror properly. Thats Serious, he said.. Now, I did check mirrors but it is totally based on difference between his and my judgement.
Attachment 1822797
I did another serious in the same test while moving off after parallel parking. Examiner slammed the brakes saying that I would hit the car parked in front; but as per my judgement I had enough space (15 years of Judgement from narrow Mumbai Parking). I learned to leave more space for everyone's eye.
Result - FAIL.2 Serious, 0 Minors.

Attempt 2

The same examiner from previous test, I did not like him as he had a thick black accent which I was unable to understand in one go and I had to ask everything twice, which was annoying him. I nearly failed my eye test as I read a O as D. Twice.
He gave me a serious because a black car came really close to my car and almost rear ended, I did not gave it enough space to pass through in time, The road was narrowing with a green signal approaching. I could have only given that car a pass once I crossed the signal; but as soon as I crossed the traffic signal he asked me to stop in left and let the black car go; Giving me a Serious.
Result - FAIL.1 Serious, 1 Minors (hesitant driving).

Attempt 3

I switched the test centre to Barking, from worst rated pass rate of Wanstead with 33% to second worst Barking with 37%.
I was quite confident this time to pass, I was going well until I had to stop at a junction to turn right. The signal went green and I started, the examiner started talking to me at this very moment and I got distracted. A big double Decker bus was going straight, and I allowed it to pass, but behind it in the blind spot was a blue Audi which came suddenly in front, and I was not at complete standstill, the examiner said STOP ! and marked it Dangerous. She later explained that she thought I was trying to cut my way through like in India, and I had to unlearn all my driving from India and become a safe driver in UK. Irony, She was a British with Indian Origin and knew how it is in India.

For people who aren't aware of rules; On junctions if you have to turn right, you allow all vehicles going straight first or turning left to clear off and then make your move once the junction is clear and safe.
Result - FAIL. 1 Dangerous, 1 Minor (Driving 44-45 MPH in 50 MPH) .

My instructor said I am a much better driver than many of his students who passed and that I am not making any mistakes which he can correct while in test mode.
Unfortunately, I too believe that I should have passed in my 2nd or 3rd attempt had I not been nervous or made stupid mistakes, now I feel extremely nervous to go through the test formalities again.
ashishmathur14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 06:07   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes would definitely want the conditions to improve in India! While I agree it can be quite boring to drive in the UK compared to here, when it comes to the literal point of life and death on the road, as it is here in India, I think it's a no brainer that we need to improve.
Yes, the number of accidents in India are at ridiculous levels. Sorry if my post offended you or anyone, did not mean it. In fact I was not able to convey properly what I meant. I miss using my mother tongue during these tough situations

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. I am certainly looking towards having 1 or 2 classes with a new instructor, probably from AA and appear for the test again.

My instructor said I am a much better driver than many of his students who passed and that I am not making any mistakes which he can correct while in test mode.
Unfortunately, I too believe that I should have passed in my 2nd or 3rd attempt had I not been nervous or made stupid mistakes, now I feel extremely nervous to go through the test formalities again.
After going through your post I think you need a better instructor who can boost your confidence. You can request the instructor to take several mock tests. That should boost your confidence.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 08:36   #25
Team-BHP Support

I passed on my first attempt. That time there was no theory. I did go to the BSM driving school. Instructor was a bit of a painful guy but I put up with him for consistency. He hated my original indian way of driving - tailgating, usual aggressive manner but I started observing the rules.

Driving test was fine. Once we selected the test centre, we did a couple of dry runs in the area. The test went well except for my clonking a pavement during a left turn due to my nervousness.

It was eye test
Drive
Three point turn
Emergency stop
Parallel parking

Parked up and he asked me a few questions from the Highway Code

"I'm pleased to say you have passed"

I had used the driving school car. Instructor went supermarket shopping while test was going on. He loaded up and he drove back to office driving like a true Banglorian in Manchester! What a hypocrite!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 05:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attempt 1

I was heading towards the famous Redbridge from Dual Carriageway and examiner asked me to take second exit from the roundabout. I could not see the sign board properly as I was on 50 MPH limit and could not place judge the lane I should have been. I tried to move to a left lane to exit and examiner touched my steering wheel stating there was car behind and I did not check mirror properly. Thats Serious, he said.. Now, I did check mirrors but it is totally based on difference between his and my judgement.

I did another serious in the same test while moving off after parallel parking. Examiner slammed the brakes saying that I would hit the car parked in front; but as per my judgement I had enough space (15 years of Judgement from narrow Mumbai Parking). I learned to leave more space for everyone's eye.
Result - FAIL.2 Serious, 0 Minors.
I can give you one piece of advice. I have learnt this after a lot of observation and talking to many people here. In India we are used to cars coming very close to each other, it is very common for us. If we keep a large gap, someone else will squeeze in. It is not only for cars, we are used to see 10 people jump into a small lift. We are used to these things, but here people are used to having a lot of space around them. So you have to keep in mind that what seems normal to us feels life threatening to them. If an examiner sees you getting within 2 feet of another car he will slam the brakes and it will be major fault, though to you it might have felt quite normal and safe. Today one of my colleagues gave the driving test and he got one minor because he did not notice a moving car that was more than 25 meters away!

I will give one more example. During one of my lessons the instructor asked me to park into a bay. I was midway into the bay when he pressed the brakes and stopped the vehicle. I have been driving for almost 25 years and know perfectly well how to park a car and that too a hatchback. But I realised that the instructor did not know that. To him I was a novice and he felt that I was going too close to a parked car, so he stopped the car. That day I realised that I had to make a conscious effort to give a feeling of safety to the instructor and subsequently to the examiner so that they don't panic.

Last but not the least, for the mirror checks, please make some additional effort to show that you are moving your head to check the mirrors. It might seem futile to you because you have been driving for 15 plus years, but you can do it for 30 minutes during the test to give that comfort feeling to the examiner
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 11:57   #27
BHPian

Last summer I spent a couple of weeks driving extensively through England and Scotland with a rented Nissan Terrano with the missus and my two teen daughters. It was a smooth and hassle-free experience and probably the best way to explore ole Blighty.

I would recommend it only if you are an experienced driver with good road sense and inherent sense of discipline. It was easier for me because I first learnt driving abroad, drove abroad for eight years and have intermittently over the last decades had a lot of road trips in Europe.

It is a welcome relief to the extent that all road signs are in English and they drive on the correct side of the road. (Try driving in snow with a GPS set to German and road signs in Czech!). But if you have always driven in India you will need to unlearn a LOT OF STUFF. But hey it is not rocket science - keep a alevel head and you shall be fine.

Talking about fines . . . they are stiff (no I didn't pay any) as are the parking fees. Plan ahead intensely and then plan some more. I was Planning Head for one of the most intensely obsessively planned auto brands and still found that my plans had some gaps. Having said that, leave room for spontaneity. Ping me if I can help!

Attached pic of my li'l one at Loch Ness. NOTE: The vehicle is stationary. I do not endorse the practice of kids popping out of the sunroofs of moving cars! Try that in UK and you may (and rightly SHOULD) lose custody of your kids
Attached Thumbnails
Driving in the UK for Indians - Theory, Hazard Perception & Practical Tests-20180511_155132.jpg  

Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 21:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I can give you one piece of advice. I have learnt this after a lot of observation and talking to many people here. In India we are used to cars coming very close to each other, it is very common for us. If we keep a large gap, someone else will squeeze in. It is not only for cars, we are used to see 10 people jump into a small lift. We are used to these things, but here people are used to having a lot of space around them. So you have to keep in mind that what seems normal to us feels life threatening to them. If an examiner sees you getting within 2 feet of another car he will slam the brakes and it will be major fault, though to you it might have felt quite normal and safe. Today one of my colleagues gave the driving test and he got one minor because he did not notice a moving car that was more than 25 meters away!

I will give one more example. During one of my lessons the instructor asked me to park into a bay. I was midway into the bay when he pressed the brakes and stopped the vehicle. I have been driving for almost 25 years and know perfectly well how to park a car and that too a hatchback. But I realised that the instructor did not know that. To him I was a novice and he felt that I was going too close to a parked car, so he stopped the car. That day I realised that I had to make a conscious effort to give a feeling of safety to the instructor and subsequently to the examiner so that they don't panic.

Last but not the least, for the mirror checks, please make some additional effort to show that you are moving your head to check the mirrors. It might seem futile to you because you have been driving for 15 plus years, but you can do it for 30 minutes during the test to give that comfort feeling to the examiner
Thanks for those words, and I totally agree with you on keeping a safe distance. Being born and brought up in India, driving there for 15 years, the calculative instincts puts us in danger of being too close to another car. My Instructor too slammed brakes once, while I was doing bay parking saying I was too close. He also instructed that I should always be able to see both rear wheels when I stop behind a car.

I am unlearning the way my Indian mind calculates to be a better driver in UK.

One more point highlighted by my Instructor and examiner which did not lead to a major or minor fault during my exam was- the habit of looking on your left and right even on one-way roads; Looking for vehicles joining main lane from inroads even when I had right of way; it was the instinct that someone might come in and crash.
I also slowed down initially in roundabout when I see other vehicles trying to join in; while when inside roundabout I had total right of way.
ashishmathur14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 18:32   #29
BHPian

Rating the thread a deserved 5 stars. Thank you for sharing this BlackPearl!

I cleared my UK driving test recently in my first attempt. Got 6 minors, well I am not bothered with them because these won't happen in daily driving. However, I will put a few details below.

Test Centre: West Didsbury, Greater Manchester.
Car Used: Ford Mondeo Mk4 TDCi (Used my own car since my instructor car wasn't available due to him not keeping well. The instructor car was a 2015 Renault Megane Diesel.)

Let me get the errors out of my way first,

2 - For driving slowly. I was doing around 20-22 mph in a 30 zone. I did this as I believed the zone to be a 20 and there are many 20 mph zones on the test route. Glad I didn't receive a 3rd one there else I would have failed. Also, this super unnecessary cautiousness was due to speeding being a Serious Fault and resulting in a direct fail.

1- For signalling a pedestrian to cross as I waited. This came due to me being used to driving in UK on my Indian license for 7+ months. This should never be done even in real world scenarios. I have been myself signaled to cross when I am waling around here, guess I picked this habit from there.

The above two are the one's that were explained to me by the Examiner. He did not go through the details of others.

1 - For control when performing the maneuver of 'Pull up to the right hand side of the road and reverse two car lengths'. This is the new maneuver introduced in 2018. And is disliked by all, since everyone finds it pointless in real world. But it is what it is for me and I did it.

1 - For undue hesitation.

1- Moving off.

Surprisingly, I did not do any roudabouts in my test. There is a weird one that I practiced in my lessons. It is a 3-way one and you cannot see the stop line in time. Mucked it up the first time and then did it correctly, every single time. The examiners have these in their list just to get one caught off-guard.

I took 4 lessons with my instructor Mr. Alan Mundy that included 2 Mock Tests. The instructor car was a 2015 Renault Megane Diesel(Guess a 1.6). Very silent cabin for a Diesel I must say and very light steering and clutch.

In the very first lesson he checked my driving style and confidence. Corrected my habit of using the foot brake when moving off on traffic lights. I did use handbrake when driving in India, but I had the habit of engaging first gear, press the foot brake whilst letting off the handbrake and then move off. Mr. Alan said that you just move off on the handbrake instead of using the foot brake and to be honest I am finding this new style to be more convenient. Else, he did mention that the driving is good.

Another point to note is to avoid a few signalling habits from your everyday driving. For example, people here give a pass light to let you know that you can go ahead(reverse of what is done in India). I was strictly told to avoid this. Another gesture is to blink the hazard lights 2-3 times to Thank people for letting you in a lane, avoid this as well.

I liked the idea of giving the test in my own car since I was comfortable driving it and was used to it. I did get used to the Renault though in the 4 lessons. My instructor did say that your Examiner will know once you start driving that you are a regular driver and will only fail you if you do anything Stupid.

Another tip was to stop watching too many online instruction videos as they might confuse me. And yes, some of them did. And for some reason the moment I sat in the Learner Car I started driving like a learner. Nerves get the worst out of everyone. My instructor helped me a lot to calm down and the next lesson I was driving like I usually would in my own car.

One more thing is, I read somewhere on T-Bhp Mr.Thad's comment of what his examiner told him when he cleared his UK driving test of 'If you are nervous about a simple thing like a driving test then how will you handle tougher things like raising a child' (Not the exact comment but I got the message and posted it in my own words). One of the best tips that I have read.

Preparing your car for the Test.

- Have a valid car insurance that covers your Driving Test. It is usually covered in your Comprehensive Car Insurance but check it with your Insurance Provider just to be sure.
- Car is roadworthy, that is has a valid MOT and is road taxed.
- Two 'L' plates, one at the front and other at the rear.
- Additional stick-on IRVM for the examiner.
- And I did bother to get the car washed and the vacuum the interior just so that it looks nice.

All in all I am glad that I cleared the test in my first attempt and am proud of myself as being a BHPian I can brag about it.

Thanks,

Akshay
aghate is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 14:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

My question is for Bhp-ians who have driven in Scotland. My wife and mother are going for a vacation in Scotland this May. I would personally want them to explore the country on a car. My question is, would you guys recommend that my wife rents and drive a car, given that this would be her first driving experience outside India? She is a very good and a confident driver and mostly drives an Innova. Another point is that she has rarely driven on highways, which in not due to fear or lack of interest or another reason, but because I always take the drivers seat.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks