Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 17:31   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift

YUCK! What on earth is BMW doing? Where the S-Class is so stately & regal, the 7-Series looks ugly. I would reject this car on design alone, just like I wasn't willing to own an E60. It's one thing to be boring, but entirely another to be repulsive.

Among the luxury brands, Mercedes + Audi + Jaguar + Volvo are killing it. BMW joins Lexus at the back of the pack.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 18:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This is sad, just so painfully sad.

The grille in itself is more cosmetic than functional these days and will have no function with EVs in the future. So why the hell are they making it bigger and bigger if they don't serve any function and look ugly?
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 18:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

That is just a horrible looking front end! Looks like BMW has got some kind of an ascending order when it comes to their model hierarchy and the size of those kidney grilles going by X series.

X1
2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-x1.jpg

X3
2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-x3.jpg

X5
2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-x5.jpg

X7
2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-x7.jpg

Pity those poor (rich) X7 and 7 series buyers!

Image Source : Google image search

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th January 2019 at 18:29.
Santoshbhat is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 18:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Deja Vu. This is taking me back to 2000, when the E65 (of the Bangled design infamy) was first revealed. It caused a huge surge in bookings for the existing E38. So much so, if my memory serves me right, 2000-01, which was the last year of production for E38 generation, saw the highest sales for that generation.

I am thinking that the same might happen here as well. Prospective customers might be scared enough to run to the dealer and put money down NOW, so they get the pre-facelift model.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 8th January 2019 at 18:28. Reason: a comma out of place
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 00:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Im a little lost as to how i should react to that grill ! I keep telling myself that it will look better in person but is that how im supposed to feel about a car that costs 1.5 crores ?
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 04:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Ugly is an understatement! Looks like BMW had some attrition in the design department which was filled by an ex-designer from Mahindra.

Seeing this aberration, the guys at Merc and Volvo have surely earned their praise.
benbsb29 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:07   #22
NTO
BHPian

I can follow a trend here. Just like Mercedes has hierarchy in the number of LED DRL strips for the C,E and S (1,2, and 3 stripes respectively), BMW is trying to communicate the segment the car belongs with the sheer size of the grill. This could also call for a tagline change from "Sheer driving pleasure" to "Sheer Grill Size" (Pun Intended).

I am also completely against this trend of growing grills and not sure what inspired BMW to continue to grow their grill size!
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:25   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

who approves these designs ? looks like one of those LA hollywood actresses who keep changing their face and body into a different person each year, and this years surgeon simply went with the largest implants he could find. Ugliest BMW ever.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

And now the rear of the 2020 BMW 7 Series,

2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-1.jpg

Source:
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

I dont think I will ever own one, but seriously, what is behind that grill ? Engine or Bathroom ?

For the first time I feel BMW has done something very tasteless. But I have a feeling that the rich individuals from the gulf will like it.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:45   #26
BHPian

While the grille does look disproportionately large, I do feel we should give benefit of doubt to BMW designers till the complete car is unveiled without any disguise. There might be a couple of cats out of the bag!
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 13:40   #27
BHPian

Anyone here wish Bangle was back at BMW?

I know a lot of people like to hate on him. But I think the man was ahead of his time. I think the E60 5 series with m sport kit looks fantastic. So does the 6 series with M kit. I love the M3 and 3 series coupe styling. I absolutely love the z4m coupe. I even like the X5 and the facelifted e65 7series with big turbine wheels. I think they have aged really well. You guys just dont appreciate genius. Bangle cars looked sleek, lean, mean , rowdy and up for a fight. They looked like ultimate driving machines.

BMW as a company is pretty much losing its way. And you know what it started after Bangles departure. It was right at this time BMW decided to drop its Ultimate driving Machine slogan and go for some "Joy this and Joy that" nonsense. Ever since the cars have been getting soft, flabby, chubby, less focused on driving dynamics and more on comfort. As if they were trying to become like Mercedes. They couldn't get keep their sharp dynamic and add comfort to it, instead they diluted the former to chase the latter. If you are a car nut and watch reviews all the time you would notice BMW regularly gets out BMWed by Cadillacs and Jaguars and Mercs in pretty much every review. Even the M cars.

Now sadly with this new X7 and 7series they ve gotten butt ugly too on top of being mushy. The grill is unnecessarily ugly. Its like they are going out of their way to make the car unbuyable as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the current designer gets arrested by the German police for being a Mercedes/Audi spy who was working for BMW to sabotage its cars styling to tank its sales.

Also I found a rendering on the net , done by an amateur. Just look how much better this is than the monstrosity BMW themselves have come up with.

2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-xvnrkkcncrzpsbqqtjta.jpg
nakul0888 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 13:40   #28
BHPian

What's happening with BMW!! Grills that big just kill the overall look of the car. This 7 series definitely has lost its executive look.

I somehow loved the corona rings they had on the lights earlier when it formed a full circle. I do wish they bring those back sometime in future.
Old 9th January 2019, 13:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
And now the rear of the 2020 BMW 7 Series,

Attachment 1835403

Source:
Another manufacturer falls for the full length taillight! I just do not understand why everyone should have these lights that stretch across the rear. One manufacturer did, ok, where is the individuality? The taillights of the current gen 7 is by itself beautiful. Instead of giving us such pointless things, they could have probably used OLEDs or some new technologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Anyone here wish Bangle was back at BMW?

...I wouldn't be surprised if the current designer gets arrested by the German police for being a Mercedes/Audi spy who was working for BMW to sabotage its cars styling to tank its sales.

Also I found a rendering on the net , done by an amateur. Just look how much better this is than the monstrosity BMW themselves have come up with.

Attachment 1835443
Don't worry BMW themselves copied (sort of...) from Borgward and probably now history repeats itself. If you are wondering what I mean, just google for BMW and Borgward. It is even joked upon that BMW in the early 60's was called as "Borgward Macht Weiter" (translated: Borgward carries on) because BMW poached the chief designer from Borgward along with drawings of their 1500 (yes Borgward brought the first 1500 after Isabella and Arabella even before BMW had one such car) and sort of was the reason for Borgward going bankrupt.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 9th January 2019 at 13:52.
Old 9th January 2019, 13:52   #30
BHPian

I don't get it. What's the big Hokus Pokus with everyone bashing the grill. I'm gonna go against the tide here but this how times are changing and we have no choice but to stick with it.

Back in the day, the 3 series was small but today its not anymore. Yes people did complain but eventually they learned to live with it and today people love the new M3. It's all about getting used to things and understanding that times are changing and so are cars. Brakes getting bigger, headlights getting bigger, engines getting bigger and producing more heat and obviously grills getting bigger. Since when did the enthusiast start caring about looks anyway?

Beside I don't think the 7 Series looks are gonna drop its sales like the Lexus. Lets get this straight, we found the previous gen Swift Dzire ugly, it still out sold most other cars in the market. We complained when Skoda broke the head lights in two on the facelifted Octavia, it still ended up in every enthusiast's garage just like the pre facelift Octavia did.

And its not that this is the first time BMW has made big grills. Just check out cars like the BMW 328 roadster or BMW 507 (attaching pics below) where the grill was either too tall or too wide. Guess what? It eventually grew on to people and they started loving it back in the day. Im sure we will too. Its all about going with the design.
Attached Thumbnails
2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-1547021752644.jpg  

2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-1547021765127.jpg  

Last edited by Starfire : 9th January 2019 at 14:09.
Starfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks