Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 20:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Man still driving '58 Chevy truck he bought used for $75

Needs nothing except four oil changes a year, the man says. Bought it used for $75 when he was starting to work and still driving it after he's retired

https://www.valleynewslive.com/conte...504635912.html
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:04   #2
BHPian

re: Man still driving '58 Chevy truck he bought used for $75

One common thing which I have noticed in all such examples of very very long lasting (and non-museum type) cars is that they all are pretty basic models. Just 4 wheels, one steering, couple of seats and other very basic but essential stuff.

I think his grandson can also retire with this car.
vinit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:49   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Man still driving '58 Chevy truck he bought used for $75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
One common thing which I have noticed in all such examples of very very long lasting (and non-museum type) cars is that they all are pretty basic models.
Spot on! Related Thread (Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!).

The basic nature of these old cars makes it easy to keep them running. I don't think too many of the current genre of electronically-complex cars will ever be on the road after 15 - 20 years. Certainly not the Europeans for sure.

Another pertinent point is that the basic parts are usually of poor quality (unless it's a Mercedes W123 or the like), hence a car that is xxx years old on paper is actually newer than its RC book would suggest:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Meantime, I was having an interesting discussion with a friend. Now, my Jeep will be turning 22 years next month, but there is hardly anything in the Jeep that is actually 22 years old .

The chassis is 22 years old, the gearbox is still the original one, the basic seat frame, the anti-roll bar, dashboard...perhaps, these are the only significant old parts. Everything else has been changed. New body in 2003, new engine in 2008, suspension has been overhauled, the full wiring harness has been changed twice, rims are after-market and so on.

Of course, if one is to make a list, then we will find more parts (e.g. bull bar) that are 22 years old. But the point is, in $$$ value terms or weight, I'd guesstimate that 65 - 75% of the Jeep is newer than its original 1997 build date would suggest. And I guess that's the same for most old cars.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

That truck isn't like your ship of theseus jeep, GTO. It is a rust bucket held together with duct tape and it still runs. See the video in this article - https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...7-d35be85c868b
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Needs nothing except four oil changes a year, the man says. Bought it used for $75 when he was starting to work and still driving it after he's retired

https://www.valleynewslive.com/conte...504635912.html
Apart from basic maintenance, I don't think that thing will ever break. The simplicity and solid build of the era provides unmatched reliability.
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is such a depressing thread in the current scenario that exists in some parts of our country. The NGT and government are trying so hard to make everyone dispose of their 10.15-year-old cars and buy new ones instead; hence running a vehicle like this, however much one might be attached to it and howsoever well-maintained it might be, is becoming impossible.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This is such a depressing thread in the current scenario that exists in some parts of our country. The NGT and government are trying so hard to make everyone dispose of their 10.15-year-old cars and buy new ones instead; hence running a vehicle like this, however much one might be attached to it and howsoever well-maintained it might be, is becoming impossible.
I totally agree. The NGT rules are so absurd that I just cannot wrap my head around them. Age does not define how polluting a vehicle is. Granted that a BS3 vehicle will be inherently more polluting than a BS6 but there are other ways to compensate for that. Charge higher road tax, more stringent inspections to check for road worthiness, convert to CNG etc.

Also how many of the privately owned older BS2 or 3 vehicles are there really on the road. The percentage of pollution they allegedly create would be miniscule.

Just blindly banning then does not help anybody. I am not aware of such regulations even in the developed countries. We have so many instances of people driving decades old cars in those countries.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 13:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow, 58 years. That's some car-life.

BTW with stuff held in place by duct-tape and the whole thing a rust bucket, I wonder how he clears vehicle inspections by the transport authority ? And is it even road-legal given the condition it is in ?
Old 29th January 2019, 13:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow, 58 years. That's some car-life.

BTW with stuff held in place by duct-tape and the whole thing a rust bucket, I wonder how he clears vehicle inspections by the transport authority ? And is it even road-legal given the condition it is in ?
It is a small town and I guess he's driving it across country roads and farms these days, from what I read.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks