Team-BHP - Windshield repairs to get costly due to driver-aid systems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Windshield repairs to get costly due to driver-aid systems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/206533-windshield-repairs-get-costly-due-driver-aid-systems.html)

More and more cars are now equipped with radar and camera based safety systems. These are are usually mounted behind the front windshield, grille and bumpers. Therefore, repairs or replacements could turn out to be an expensive affair. According to a media report, cars equipped with such tech could require complex re-calibrations in a special facility, with significant safety concerns if not done properly.

Thanks to the advancement in driver assistance technologies, many cars today come equipped with features like lane assist systems, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, etc. These systems make use of multiple cameras, radars and ultrasonic sensors. While the cameras are positioned behind the windscreen, the ultrasonic sensors and radars are usually placed in the bumpers. These have fine tolerances and even a minor shunt can cause a misalignment.

It is reported that windscreen replacements on such cars require re-calibration using lasers in custom configured garages. At times, even a wheel alignment is required because wheels should be pointing perfectly in a straight line for the systems to work properly. Repair shops reportedly use Bosch's DAS 1000 calibration equipment for this purpose. Some cars from the Fiat Chrysler group, Honda and Toyota require static calibration, with different measurements even if they use the same camera systems. Cars from Ford, General Motors and Dodge, require dynamic calibration, i.e. the vehicles need to be driven on roads for proper functioning of the lane assist systems post a windshield replacement.

A small change in the pitch of the windshield will change the sensor / camera angles. Some carmakers will specify re-calibration with a full tank of fuel while others require re-calibration even after a change of tyres. Some specify only dynamic calibration while others recommend both static and dynamic calibrations, driving up the cost of a seemingly minor windshield replacement.

While driver assistance systems have reported to have reduced the instances of rear-ending crashes as well as lesser injuries in such accidents, a small shunt, fender-bender or a damaged windscreen could drive up the repair costs significantly.

Windshield repairs to get costly due to driver-aid systems-img_0490.jpg

Source: NY Times

Link to the Team-BHP News

Corning plans to offer Gorilla Glass (used in smartphones) for car windshield:
https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass...exteriors.html

Windshield repairs to get costly due to driver-aid systems-corning.jpg

This is not limited to windshields alone. Front bumpers, rear bumpers, orvm's- all the stuff at the extremities of a car are being loaded with active safety tech sensors, which hopefully should reduce accidents, but practically increase repair costs across the board

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartCat (Post 4542959)
Corning plans to offer Gorilla Glass (used in smartphones) for car windshield

Won't that negatively affect pedestrian safety?

If hit at even moderate speed by a car, a pedestrian almost always crashes into the windscreen which might even act as a bit of a crumple zone for him (see how many cars have their windscreens caved in after a crash with a pedestrian). I'm worried that a tougher windscreen might save windscreens, but not pedestrians!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4543101)
Won't that negatively affect pedestrian safety? If hit at even moderate speed by a car, a pedestrian almost always crashes into the windscreen which might even act as a bit of a crumple zone for him (see how many cars have their windscreens caved in after a crash with a pedestrian). I'm worried that a tougher windscreen might save windscreens, but not pedestrians!

That would be the responsibility of pedestrian airbags. Also, Gorilla Glass that we see on smartphones is quite 'bendy'. It is scratch/shatter resistant and not hard/brittle like the one we see on laminated windshields.

List of cars using Gorilla Glass:

- Ford GT
- BMW i8
- Porsche 911GTRS3

Right now, Gorilla Glass is preferred for its lightness (40% lower weight). But Jeep offers Gorilla Glass as an option for Wrangler model, primarily for its shatter/impact resistance
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/pa...lla-glass.html

Windshield repairs to get costly due to driver-aid systems-mopar.jpg

First, it doesn't affect the aam aadmi. We're not getting adaptive cruise control and Auto Emergency Braking (AEB) in a sub-10 lakh car anytime soon.

Second: By the time we do, the tech will have been tested extensively by the rich people who're willing to pay to be beta testers. So, it'll work better than it does today. Ergo, the no. of collisions for every 100,000km will be significantly less.

Third: Say, a typical fender bender costs Rs. 20k without the added gear. With the gear, it costs, say, 100k (is that a reasonable assumption?).

If the system saves me 4/5 times, that's break-even point. I wouldn't mind paying up.

Fourth: As the no. of claims go down because of fewer crashes, I'm sure the insurance costs would go down. OR, perhaps, the insurance companies wouldn't mind allowing customers to continue with 0-dep for 10 years or something.

I'm in.
We can't count on people. So we need to make the products as dummy-proof as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4543101)
Won't that negatively affect pedestrian safety?

If hit at even moderate speed by a car, a pedestrian almost always crashes into the windscreen which might even act as a bit of a crumple zone for him. I'm worried that a tougher windscreen might save windscreens, but not pedestrians!

AFAIK, they're not that tough. That's just marketing. These glass panes flex quite a bit before breaking. So the crumble zone benefit will be in place. Advantages are lighter and longer lasting panes. If the initial cost part is sorted, these could be fantastic investments -- for those who don't trust the AEB enough.