Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2007, 11:36   #1
Team-BHP Support

2007 Lexus LS 460L: A technical tour de force

Thats right, forget emotions, history, blah blah blah...technically speaking, could the all new Lexus LS 460 be termed the most technically advanced luxury car in the world (upto 100,000US$)??

Lets look at the list of gizmo's:
- Worlds first 8 Speed automatic transmission which is no larger than the old 6 speed.
- In-built 30 GB hard drive to store music, video and Navigational maps which works with the 450 watt, 19 speaker (Six titanium cone speakers will be arranged across the dash, a woofer will be located in each front door, three speakers will be in each rear door, four satellite speakers will be in the rear roof pillars, a woofer will be located in the rear package shelf), Mark Levinson system & in-dash 6 disc DVD changer.

- Self Parking System, which is a system that would allow the car to actually park itself!!! You pull upto the parking spot, feed in the dimensions of the space on the image of the parking lot that shows up on in-dash screen, press a button and sit back while the car actually parks itself!!
- Climate control system that not only monitors the cabin temperature, but also the body temperature of the occupants, and will adjust individual outlet flow to compensate.

- Acoustic windshield glass and laminated side glass

Yes, it can't compete with the snob value of the three pointed star or the Blue & white propeller, but it sure deserves it place in the spotlight.
Old 20th January 2007, 11:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

S-class will sure be getting a run for its money now ...........
Old 20th January 2007, 11:56   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
You pull upto the parking spot, feed in the dimensions of the space on the image of the parking lot that shows up on in-dash screen, press a button and sit back while the car actually parks itself!!
How would you feed in the dimensions of the space? As per my knowledge, they have had the self park feature on the Prius sold in Japan for a few years now. For parallel parking, you can drive on the street at no more than the recommended speed in the parking spot scan mode. The car advises you if it can park itself at a particular spot. Say yes, and voila it parallel parks close to the curb in one shot.
Old 20th January 2007, 11:57   #4
BANNED

This car has many technological advances with it.
I was just amazed to see the way this car parks by itself. Saw a demo on the net 3weeks ago. It's not much complicated also. Just pass a parking space and brake just after it (as we do for reverse parking). The car's sensors will detect if That's enough space and activates the parking menu. You can choose it in the touch screen. Once activated, you can leave the steering, accelerator, brakes etc.. Everything will be controlled by the car itself. It will reverse, turn, align and come to stop automatically. Sounds very geeky? Do a search in youtube to see for yourselves.

Kudos to Toyota for developing a car of this high caliber.
Old 20th January 2007, 12:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is the best car in the world. Period.
Yeah, it's not a Merc or Jag or BMW or Audi, but, today Japanese technology, quality and reliability is unmatched. Unless you're a loyalist, this is the car you should really buy.
Old 20th January 2007, 12:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
This is the best car in the world. Period.
that is too big a claim.
the mercedes S-class has many of the gizmos that this cars claims to have.

8-speed vs 7-speed-the mercedes S550 is still faster than the LS460 with
equal fuel economy

self park vs park guidence-self parking takes atleast double the time
of normal parking.if u cant park dont drive.

lane guidence vs nothing-dosent work everywhere and lane markings are
only on highways.but a good feature for american
and european drivers

driver monitor vs night vision-both are useful.udecide which one is better.

19 speakers vs 14 speakers-lexus does have a nice system but the
mercedes dosent have a pathetic one,it is
nearly as good.

normal interference vs command-some like buttons others like MM
interface.the command is richer in tech
though.

both have rear seat entertainment system.merc has 2 screens,Lexus has one screen.

looks are subjective

at the end the Mercedes handles much better and rides just as good than what the Lexus does even when the lexus has more comfort oriented design.and for the reliabilty yes lexus is better but the new S-class is much much better than the one it replaces and the build quality on both is impeccable.as for the brand name the Lexus dosent even come close.yes i am a mercedes fan,the Lexus is a very good car but it is not the best car in the world by any stretch of imagination.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 20th January 2007 at 12:27.
Old 20th January 2007, 12:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

This is definitely the best car in the world. The merc is only for the 3 pointed star. It's just the brand name.
The lexus beats the merc S class outright.
The car is the most technology advanced car.

Car Tech Awards 2006 - CNET.com

2007 Lexus LS 460L Reviews. Sedan Reviews by CNET.
Old 20th January 2007, 12:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Cnet is what a car magazine,its a tech magazine for gods sake.

go here

2007 Lexus LS460L, 2006 Jaguar Super V-8, 2006 BMW 750Li, 2006 Audi A8L Quattro, 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550 - Comparison Tests - Car and Driver

Lexus LS v Mercedes S-Class | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

Lexus LS - Autocar.co.uk

Last edited by merve_extreme : 20th January 2007 at 12:35.
Old 20th January 2007, 12:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

Isn't that the title of the thread? Lexus a technical tour de force. Besides Aditya has clearly mentioned that unless your a loyalist the LS460 is the car to buy.
You should compare this car to the S350 not to the S550. I think thats the car which is similarily priced to the lexus.
Old 20th January 2007, 13:38   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sure, its a great car thats loaded with technology. But Best Car in the World? Cmon guys.

1. It still does not handle or brake particularly well. And its acceleration / performance is short of the german counterparts.

2. In terms of overall technology, the S W221 is still the car to beat.

3. How does this look any different? The Lexus loses out on the styling big time.

Butttttttttttttttttttt the Lexus has levels of reliability that Merc and Beemer can only dream of. That, and the trademark Lexus "silent" ride which only gets better.

Did you know Lexus dumped a last minute 8 speed to get a one-up on Mercs 7 speeder?
Old 20th January 2007, 13:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Both cars are just as silent

Noise levels outside/idle/30/70mph

LS460
61 / 38 / 57 / 64dB

S500
62 / 40 / 55 / 62dB

Facts and Figures | Auto Express Car Group Tests | Auto Express
Old 20th January 2007, 14:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Merve, you seem to be a big fan of the 3 pointed star

No doubt its good but lets say hats of to a japanese company scaling up to german engineering and luxury monopoly that they have carved a niche for themselves, that itself is a compliment for the jap guys.

I am a fan of "L" myself
Old 20th January 2007, 14:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Merve, you seem to be a big fan of the 3 pointed star

No doubt its good but lets say hats of to a japanese company scaling up to german engineering and luxury monopoly that they have carved a niche for themselves, that itself is a compliment for the jap guys.

I am a fan of "L" myself
offcource the LS is a excellent car,it is better than may european Luxury cars,but its not the best car in the world and IMO not better than an S

and yes congrats to Lexus for building a great car.
Old 20th January 2007, 14:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

I guess this car is pretty technically advanced but id rather buy german. This car just isnt special enough. When I saw the pictures it didnt make me want it. I liked the first two generation LSs but this one doesnt really appeal to me. Id much rather get an Merc or a BMW.
Old 20th January 2007, 14:34   #15
BANNED

I dunno if the above comparo was very much needed here. The topic is about the technological advances in LS460. Not who is better and best etc...
Ain't it better to pour more light on to this topic??

I am a big Merc fan and am very proud of having 2 of their cars in my driveway (though, I am rarely allowed to drive those). But now debating which is better is unwanted here I think.

I feel Lexus has made a great car and it reeks with quality, technological advances, reliability and comfort. Let's discuss some more finer details of it.

Most Viewed