Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2019, 13:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020

According to a media report, Hyundai is planning to unveil the performance version of the i20 hatchback in 2020. The i20 N will rival the Fiesta ST and the Polo GTI in the UK market.

Hyundai launched the i30 N in 2017, followed by the i30 N Fastback. According to the report, the i20 N was rumoured to go on sale in 2018, but Hyundai instead concentrated on its electric and hybrid cars like the Kona and the updated Ioniq. The i20 N is now likely to come in 2020.

The hot hatch is reported to get a reworked engine with a higher power output, stiffened and lowered suspension, improved brakes and more direct-ratio steering. The engine is expected to be the 1.6-liter T-GDI petrol engine, which is offered on the UK-spec Tucson with 175 BHP.

While the i20 is sold in India, there is no information if the company plans to launch the N version here.

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-hyundaielitei2002.jpg

Source: Autocar

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 13th February 2019 at 13:06.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 13:26   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020

I'm sure this would get the 1.6 T-GDI in the tune offered with Kia Ceed GT - 204 PS @ 6000 RPM, 265 Nm @ 1500-4500 RPM.

This would never be seen in India as Hyundai doesn't even offer the 1.0 T-GDI here. Can't complain as their customers are happily buying the extremely underpowered 1.2 NA.
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 14:16   #3
BHPian

re: Rumour: Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020

Obviously this would never come to India cause thats what companies like Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki do. They are experts in giving India the step motherly treatment even though India amounts to a really large quantity of their global car sales. They don't care about their brand image being looked down upon as a poor man's brand as long as the masses are happy with being ripped off with overpriced sub 90 hp cars IMO. Screw the enthusiast, rip the "kitna deti hai" satisfied masses and win over the country Thats the Indian Car company moto.

I must say, hats off to the VAG group for offering atleast the basic TSI engines here for us to enjoy the left over 5 years that we have before the country goes fully electric!

Last edited by Starfire : 13th February 2019 at 14:21.
Starfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 14:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020

Good stuff. Having been the quality leader for a while now, I think the Hyundai brand is mature enough to offer a performance variant or 2. Enthusiasts will consider them (many enthusiasts already own Hyundais!). And Hyundai India does need some spunk. Nothing like a fast variant to add spice to the line-up (like the Tata JTPs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Obviously this would never come to India cause thats what companies like Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki do. They are experts in giving India the step motherly treatment
I wouldn't entirely agree with that. Hyundai India got many firsts to the mass market segment - ventilated seats, common-rail diesels, 6 airbags, rear disc brakes (although its removed now), a smooth AMT with electric actuators etc.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good stuff. Having been the quality leader for a while now, I think the Hyundai brand is mature enough to offer a performance variant or 2. Enthusiasts will consider them (many enthusiasts already own Hyundais!). And Hyundai India does need some spunk. Nothing like a fast variant to add spice to the line-up (like the Tata JTPs).
It needs to be seen: the first product announcement of Kia and it's positioning in the market visavis Hyundai. I think, Kia may position itself as the premium brand bringing in desirable and performance oriented products as compared to Hyundai. Last few years I think Hyundai has hit a wall in it's competition with Maruti: Maruti is increasing it's market share in dollops, whereas Hyundai hasn't been able to do the same. Maruti has the Swift, Baleno, Ertiga, Ciaz all segment leaders and Hyundai has only the Creta that's doing great numbers, rest play second fiddle to the market leader.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 14th February 2019 at 16:42.
Durango Dude is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 17:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I wouldn't entirely agree with that. Hyundai India got many firsts to the mass market segment - ventilated seats, common-rail diesels, 6 airbags, rear disc brakes (although its removed now), a smooth AMT with electric actuators etc.
Agreed! But nothing related to a more juiced up engine. Hyundai has studied the Indian market well and realised that Indians want only 3 things:
>Features
>Chrome everywhere
>Fuel Efficiency.

And why will hyundai not offer features? Remove that and what else is left that hyundai has to offer over the competition? The last I remember Hyundai gave a good performer was when it first launched the 1.6 Crdi fluidic Verna back in 2011, I remember buying that car only for the stonker of the engine, especially when everyone was against me calling the car a boat.

What I want to tell Hyundai is people still have faith in you. Not just the average masses who care about "kmpl" but also the enthusiasts! Why not for once make them happy and launch the N! Even if it is in a milder state of tune like the Polo GT TSI. Trust me, coupled with Hyundai's reliablity
and service network, it will be a flying success!
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 02:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think, Kia may position itself as the premium brand bringing in desirable and performance oriented products as compared to Hyundai.
Atleast here in US Kia is like a bargain brand, lower in position than Hyundai.
It is in no way a premium brand compared to Hyundai in any of the country and doubt they will do that in India. They will compete with themselves and others competitors.

I really wish Hyundai brings veloster with a powerful diesel and with all bells and whistles.

Last edited by AccordSport : 15th February 2019 at 02:42.
AccordSport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 07:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordSport View Post
Atleast here in US Kia is like a bargain brand, lower in position than Hyundai. It is in no way a premium brand compared to Hyundai in any of the country and doubt they will do that in India. They will compete with themselves and others competitors.
When the pie is small, I think brands need to re-position themselves to cater to a slightly different segment or they end up cannibalizing each other.
Durango Dude is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 19:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the NEXT Generation i20 spied in Europe.
Quote:
the analog instrument cluster has been removed to make room for an all-digital setup. It’s too soon to say whether the big screen will replace the physical needles and dials even on the base model or it’s going to be offered only on the more expensive i20 variants
Quote:
rear end design where the taillights seem to continue on the tailgate where there’s a wide light strip, unless we’re looking at a giant piece of trim. The graphic showing the i20’s derrière came up on the digital dash as part of the Lane Departure Warning system the prototype featured. It was a relatively new test vehicle, with only 2,269 kilometers (1,409 miles) on the clock.
Quote:
To the right of the driver’s display is the infotainment system shaped like a tablet
Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-2020hyundaii20spy5photo.jpg

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-2020hyundaii210spyphoto.jpg

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-2020hyundaii20spyphot1o.jpg

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-20120hyundaii20spyphoto.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th November 2019 at 19:47.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 15:17   #10
BHPian

Hyundai i20 N teased

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-unveil-416446

Good news, a proper hot hatch in the offing, although it's too early to comment on India launch. Rumours suggest 200hp, 1.6L TGDi, 6-Speed Manual.

If Hyundai is really serious about launching N brand in India, they should launch the i20 N and make it here in India. CBU route would be totally avoided if they want to sell it to enthusiasts in good numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-20200305010429_i20n1.jpg  

Last edited by sechebe : 5th March 2020 at 15:19.
Old 13th March 2020, 16:59   #11
BHPian

2021 Hyundai i20 N Spied With Production Body For The First Time

Quote:
This is actually the first time the i20 N has been spotted with the production body as our previous encounter with South Korea’s answer to the Ford Fiesta ST was in May 2019 when we caught a test mule carrying the previous-generation model’s body. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), that one had the same wheels and red brake calipers along with the dual exhaust and a stiffer suspension setup that lowered the prototype’s ride height.
While some are suggesting the i20 N will use a de-tuned version of the i30 N’s turbocharged 2.0-liter engine, we’re inclined to believe it will be powered by Hyundai-Kia’s 1.6-liter T-GDi mill. It produces 201 hp and 265 Newton-meters (195 pound-feet) of torque in the Ceed GT, which would be some healthy numbers for the VW Polo GTI competitor.
For more:
https://www.motor1.com/photo/4822859...0-n-spy-photo/
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-2021hyundaii20nspyphoto.jpg  

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-2021hyundaii20nspyphoto-1.jpg  

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-2021hyundaii20nspyphoto-2.jpg  

Eshan Joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 12:48   #12
BANNED

Re: Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020

Now spotted testing at Nurburgring

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ng-nurburgring
Old 4th May 2020, 16:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N could get a 201 BHP 1.6L turbo-petrol engine

Hyundai is working on a sportier version of the third generation i20 called the i20 N. Reports suggest that it could be powered by a 1.6-litre, turbocharged petrol engine.

Hyundai i20 N performance hatchback coming in 2020-hyundaii20nlineori20nteaserphoto.jpg

The 1.6-litre unit is the same engine that is available in the Veloster. In the i20 N, it is expected to produce 201 BHP and 260 Nm of torque. It could be paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. It might also get a 6-speed manual gearbox option.

Back in March 2020, Hyundai had released a teaser image of the i20 N. The car could get sportier front and rear bumpers and sweptback headlamps with V-shaped LED daytime running lights. At the rear, the i20 N is likely to get a roof spoiler. The car also appears to be sporting alloy wheels shod with low-profile tyres.

The third generation Hyundai i20 is expected to debut in India sometime this year. The sportier i20 N however is unlikely to make it to our shores.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 09:05   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The sportier i20 N however is unlikely to make it to our shores.
And there is the key clause, loved by Indians, no. 2 in India, but not even an attempt of trying this one out here.

I know the target segment is too small for the kind of buyers we have in India, but they should at least once try. Let me appreciate the VW and Skoda, even Tata too; for giving a serious attempt in hot hatch / budget + performance category.

201 bhp i20 for even 20 lac on road with a manual gearbox would ahve been a wonderful proposition - or just bring in i30!
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 21:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N spotted testing on Nurburgring.

Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks