Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your pick?
Ferrari : Italian passion 44 46.32%
Porsche : Precision engineering 51 53.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2007, 21:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Not a fan of either makes, but between the two, i choose Ferrari.

Shan2nu
Old 24th January 2007, 22:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Porsche would be my last bet, first a lambo(since it is out of the Q here) i would go for the ferrari, but in general i wouldnt cross shop either brands, until you are looking at the GT2 and GT category, other than that i could only shop for a porsche if i have a lambo and a ferrari..
Old 24th January 2007, 23:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Porsche it is for me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. They are sportscars that you'd buy with the head and the heart. The other day, I heard a Cayman S at full chat on Worli seaface and my faith was reaffirmed.

The fact that they make 70k cars annually and still provide the sort of build quality and reliability that they do, is an achievement and a lesson for most EXOTIC manufacturers. And over and above that, making $28,000 per car, they have better survival chances than most other EXOTIC manufacturers.
Old 25th January 2007, 00:06   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Would sincerely like to know... what exactly is wrong with their current lineup? They are getting rave reviews everywhere from Topgear to Fifthgear.
I havent driven nor seen any of the cars from their line ups...

But, from whatsoever, i could gather... I dont feel excited at all by the current range of products in the Ferrari line- up... Why, if you ask??? Could be my personal taste... Or might even be my brain going nuts... But... frankly... I dont really care about ferrari cars these days... (To be frank... I canbt even recollect the names of their current cars properly)

In my case, i do keep track with Porche developments... Donno why... No explanations... But, i really liked the new cayenne and the panamera concepts, the Cayman... and as ever 911 turbo... And... If i had the money, i'd prefer a Porsche...

Topgear.. Am not really a fan of the show... So... no comments...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th January 2007 at 00:11.
Old 25th January 2007, 00:35   #35
BANNED

seems like everyone is moving away from ferrrari..might have something to do with schumi moving away fromt he team.or probably just a new designer on the block.
Old 25th January 2007, 00:55   #36
BHPian

the 911 turbo over the f430 and the CGT over the Enzo.

Porsche -an everyday supercar.
Old 25th January 2007, 01:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

A Porsche for Daily, ferrari for Weekend.
I choose Ferrari because of their ..................................... Orchestra !
Old 25th January 2007, 01:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

I am a poor guy "FERRARI" se kaam chala lunga.
Old 25th January 2007, 01:41   #39
BHPian

This poll sucks! I cannot decide.
Old 25th January 2007, 09:54   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The fact that they make 70k cars annually and still provide the sort of build quality and reliability that they do, is an achievement and a lesson for most EXOTIC manufacturers.
Actually, that is one of the reasons for their reliability and quality. High-quality programs, operations and processes involve a LOT of $$$ in investment and R&D. Its easier to spread this cost over 70K cars than 7K.

Quote:
This poll sucks! I cannot decide.
Neither can I!
Old 25th January 2007, 21:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A Simple poll, thats not specific to any car but more to the brand. Or line of cars.

Which brand do you prefer between the two?

- Ferrari for its passion and panache. Every Ferrari is special, and everyone knows it. The charisma (and exhaust note) of a Ferrari is unmatched. Isnt that what supercars are for? But the compromise of unreliability and impracticality.

- Porsche for its precision engineering and reliability. But the compromise in the flamboyance and "wow" factor. A Porsche wont be gasping in bumper to bumper traffic and will serve as a dependable tool for years to come. I remember a regular gumballer saying that he can drive a Porsche at "200+ all day" while a Ferrari would break down in half the time.
The cliche is that one buys a Ferrari with the heart and a Porsche with the brain. The obvious implication is that the Porsche is more reliable and the Ferrari stirs the blood. While this is true of the earlier cars, it is certainly not a serious issue today. Porsche are more reliable but today's Ferraris are closing the gap. It is a matter of context.

A lot of people here seem to be under the misconception that Ferraris tend to breakdown without a moment's notice. There is a lot of bad press out there (akin to the myth that all TVR's smell of glue and other similar nonsense), some it deserved but most of it not - the owners don't agree with it most of the time.

Referring only to cars post the 360 Modena and with emphasis on Ferrari's current stable - the quote above: "a Ferrari would break down in half the time" is erroneous at best. I would assume the writer means 200 kmph? It would have to be - I know of only one stock production Porsche (being the Carrera GT) that will touch 200 mph.

200 kmph is a mere 125 mph. I have been fortunate to driven and passengered a number of F-cars, and I can assure you that at 125mph a Ferrari is just beginning to get into its stride. The rev counter isn't anywhere near the red. I have seen various F-cars perform for hours at these speeds without a hint of trouble. On the other side of the coin, I have also spent hours (unfortunately) in traffic in cars equipped with f1 boxes and cars with manual boxes. While the f1 cars tend to need new clutches if used in traffic too much, they are completely reliable as a general rule of thumb.

The 355 marked Ferrari's coming of age (in reliability stakes!). While the manifolds and buttresses were areas of concerns (addressed on 360), the rest of the car is solid and well built. Except for the fuse box (which gets wet!) and the air conditioning vents - just awful!

As for impracticality, the boot space in a 355 is enough for two adults going away on a long weekend (I can testify to this). While a 996 turbo has the boon of two additional seats, "practical" is word that should be used with reservation and in some context with any supercar (which the 996 Turbo certainly is). Its hardly as practical as a generic Saab!

Most people who debate owning a Porsche or Ferrari are usually considering a second+ car. With reliability becoming less and less of a factor, it all comes down to the cars capability and what rocks your boat. That particular topic is something worth serious debate! Historically Porsches get to 60mph quicker, but the Fcar has usually topped out higher. Fantastic machines both. F430 or 997 GT3 - I really couldn't choose!

In conclusion, I say again: today Ferrari's are not like the 348's or 328's of yesteryear. They are supercars that can be used everyday (within reason), and indeed are used as such by a lot of people I am acquainted with! Like any supercar, care must be taken and services kept regular - that is the key to a long, happy ride.

It is worth noting that I am not Porsche or Prosche fan bashing. I have the deepest respect for Stutgart's finest. I own a Porsche myself. I am however currently looking for its replacement - a Ferrari.
Old 25th January 2007, 21:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Poser's tool.... you should have used a better "adjective".
A ferrari is anything but a poser's tool. Agreed a porsche is a sportscar that can be used daily but it can only be as good as ferrari on track not better, minus all the passion.
Who say's ferrari's cant be used as everyday car's, a prime example is the new F430.
I respectfully disagree. If memory serves me right, a Porsche CGT is quicker around most UK tracks than an Enzo - certainly quicker around the Autodrome. A stock 360 modena would not see which way a 996 GT3 went on most tracks. A 360 CS would again be an even contest depending on the track.

Quick search reveals a simple illustration through a recent article that can be found here: Fastest ever track test | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | evo

The CGT absolutely spanks the Enzo by 1.30 seconds! - clearly an example of "better".

As for minus the passion? Drive a GT2. The thing will make grown men weep!
Old 25th January 2007, 22:37   #43
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i'd go with the porsche for sure!
Old 26th January 2007, 10:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari... and I dont want make this post long to justify why

Period
Old 26th January 2007, 11:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

I love Porsche but my heart says Ferrari. So Voted for Ferrari... (Heart ruled over head )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks