Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2019, 10:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW 3-Series GT to be discontinued

According to a media report, BMW will be discontinuing the 3-Series Gran Turismo (GT). The move comes amidst increasing customer preference for SUVs.

The 3-Series GT was introduced in June 2013. It is based on the F30 platform and has a 5-door fastback styling. The car is dimensionally bigger than the regular 3-Series. The 3-Series GT is available with 2.0 and 3.0-litre petrol and diesel engines as well as optional 4-wheel-drive in some markets. In 2016, a facelift was launched.

The 3-Series GT production is likely to come to an end sometime in 2020. The model is expected to be combined with the 4-Series Gran Coupe.

BMW 3-Series GT to be discontinued-delivery-3.jpg

Source: BMW Blog

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 26th March 2019 at 10:53.
blackwasp is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 13:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series GT to be discontinued

I'm curious to know why there are so many of this model seen on the resale market.

Last edited by manson : 26th March 2019 at 13:56. Reason: Typo.
Old 26th March 2019, 13:44   #3
BHPian

I guess due to availability of options like station wagon in western market, GT probably couldn't manage to build a particular type of customer base. And that probably sealed its fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I'm curious to know why there are so many of this model een on the resale market.
They were sold in good numbers here in India.
Old 26th March 2019, 13:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Two words- Thank God

I am not a fan of GT version of regular sedans. The only one that has grown on me is the new 6 GT mainly because the interiors are so much better than the 5 series at the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

They were sold in good numbers here in India.
The reason why GT versions like the 3 GT did well in India is because of the chauffeur culture.
I hope like Mercedes, BMW and others wake up to treat India and China the same by introducing LWB versions of all the premium sedans! Yes there will be some cannibalisation initially but eventually each segment will perform on its own.

To begin with, the 5 series LWB needs to come ASAP to take on the E LWB. The 6 GT is not being able to compete as well due to the price difference, it price closer to the E350.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 15:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally love the concept of the GT for our conditions.
While the driver in me would always prefer the sedan - the GT makes a strong case for itself when venturing out of city limits. Better ground clearance, more legroom and better seating, better practicality, etc.
In fact I am quite upset at the GT going out of the market in countries such as ours because it struck a brilliant balance between low slung German sedans & high German SUVs - at least for families like mine where dad is tall and is finding it a little bit of a pain to get into a sedan, and mom hates the notion of climbing into an SUV.

That being said, this rumor came out a while back - shortly after the launch of the 6GT when the G20 details were being leaked. If they knew this, shouldn't they have not launched and developed the 6GT?
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 15:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

I have strongly mixed feelings about the GT.

It has plenty of merit. Makes a great case for itself! It's a 3 Series with more leg room, a bigger boot and added ground clearance.. perfect for India. Oh, and did I forget to mention the uber-cool frameless doors?

The only issue I have with it is the way it looks from the rear three-quarter angles. It looks hopelessly bulky and simply disproportionate to put it mildly.

The 3-Series Grand Coupe would have been ideal, but the ground clearance isn't suitable for our conditions.

It's disappointing to know that the GT is being killed off. With the SUV takeover, it's not surprising, honestly.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 23:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I'm curious to know why there are so many of this model seen on the resale market.
Its the second highest selling BMW after X1 as per the sales team from where I purchased my Bimmer.

Just that SUV give better GC else 3GT would be choice over X1 any day. But sadly roads in India aren't sedan friendly.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 23:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

5 GT got discontinued and BMW launched the 6GT, we all know that its the same 5GT with a 6 tag for premium positioning (better profits).

Similarly the 3GT will be re-launched as a 4GT & 3GT name will only die, but the bodystyle will be launched with 4GT nomenclature in the G Chassis.
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 23:56   #9
BHPian

I think that the GT was a brilliant idea for India but not for the developed markets who already have the 4 Series Gran Coupe. To be honest, it was a better all rounder than the 3 series ever was and while the looks may take a while to digest, it still made a strong case for itself. I am sure owners like graaja can attest to this fact.

That said, I really hope BMW changes their minds and eventually does make a G20 3GT specifically for markets like us where finding a luxury car with practicality is a very difficult task.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 10:11   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The design of these GTs is definitely an acquired taste. I personally HATE them. However, speak to any 3GT owner and you'll only hear praises of the vehicle & its practicality. There's no doubt that it does offer a lot more function than BMW's similarly-priced sedans.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed