Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2019, 21:17   #1
BHPian

GM lays off the Bangalore man who helped uncover the VW emissions scandal

Link
Quote:
Hemanth Kappanna’s research helped plunge Volkswagen into a scandal that continues to plague it. In February, he got two months’ pay and a one-way ticket to India.
His most recent job involved communicating with the Environmental Protection Agency about the American carmaker’s emissions technology.
Mr. Kappanna is proud of his role in unmasking Volkswagen’s wrongdoing, but he also wonders whether he was seen within G.M. as overly zealous about compliance and too friendly to regulators.
The story of how they found that VW was cheating will make for a superb Hollywood movie. Brilliant and ingenious piece of work really. I don't know if the guy was let go because of financial reasons or because of his work, but I think it is a terrible PR decision. Hope he finds some other Co to hire him. GoI are you reading this?
Iyencar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 21:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: GM lays off the Bangalore man who helped uncover the VW emissions scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Is this thread for GM or VW emission scandal? Mods, change the thread name.
To clear the confusion -

Hemanth Kappanna was part of the graduate student team at West Virginia University that exposed the VW fraud in 2013.

He finished his graduation and joined GM in 2014.

He has now been fired from GM, and being an Indian national - has returned to the country.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th May 2019 at 22:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 00:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post

I don't know if the guy was let go because of financial reasons or because of his work, but I think it is a terrible PR decision. Hope he finds some other Co to hire him. GoI are you reading this?
If you are whistleblower you will never get an opportunity to work in same industry again. It's a norm I feel. Corporates consider them as trouble maker so they sack them in unceremonious manner and make sure they never work in same field.

Even civil servants aren't spared as government itself is sometimes guilty of this practice.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th May 2019 at 01:12. Reason: Minor spacing and formatting
FrozeninTime is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 06:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have seen personally, one of the highest level executive who quit GM and joined my ex-company had serious attitude issue. He still lived in the world of "Sir", got annoyed if someone called him by name. Hemanth finished his doctorate in 2014 and joined GM. So, did someone who knew Hemanth joined GM from VW?

Last edited by deehunk : 9th May 2019 at 06:59.
Old 9th May 2019, 08:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
If you are whistleblower you will never get an opportunity to work in same industry again. It's a norm I feel. Corporates consider them as trouble maker so they sack them in unceremonious manner and make sure they never work in same field.
If that was the case why hire him to begin with? The expose was work done when he was a grad student as part of his doctoral research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I have seen personally, one of the highest level executive who quit GM and joined my ex-company had serious attitude issue. He still lived in the world of "Sir", got annoyed if someone called him by name.
You've met an outlier. I haven't met anyone in the US who insisted on being addressed as "Sir". If anything they preferred being addressed by their first names irrespective of age. Unfair to generalise all Americans and GM management as arrogant based on this case.
Iyencar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 08:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

He was part of a team that provided the findings in a research paper that EPA took up to dig further. Basically he was just one of the cogs in the wheel, nothing more. His firing has been one of many GM employees, in an industry that is seeing a lot of firing and factory closures recently. And this after 5 years of working in the firm.

I think we are reading too much into a (masala-types) news article, especially when the protagonist, Hemanth himself isn't 100% sure if he has been singled out for his past.
ninjatalli is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 09:55   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A little bit sad because he was part of the team that uncovered the scandal, and of course since he's an Indian . But this layoff has nothing to do with the emissions scandal or him being a whistle-blower. GM has laid off thousands of others and is in a trimming exercise. He just got caught in the crossfire.

I had only just posted about him in the trivia thread (Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene).

Considering the immense contribution he made to the USA, I wish the immigration authorities had gifted him a green card. But hey, good to have him back! Am sure some Indian company will benefit from his expertise . Big fan of "reverse brain drain" here. I myself moved back to India, despite having very good opportunities in Boston, post my MBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
If you are whistleblower you will never get an opportunity to work in same industry again.
I don't think that applies here (it may elsewhere). For one, he has been with GM for almost 5 years. Plus, he exposed the VW scam as an outsider. He was a student then, not part of VW.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 18:47   #8
BHPian

I feel we are reading too much into the situation, its just a usual downsizing, seeing his Linkedin profile, I doubt job will be an issue for him. BTW, a one-way ticket to the native country is standard practice, if one is not a citizen.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 19:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Clearly, he's an intelligent guy and he'll easily get another job. I'd be surprised if auto manufacturers aren't recruiting him, either in India or abroad.
Old 9th May 2019, 19:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

I think we're reading too much into this. If he indeed was fired because of his role in it, he'd have a very easy case in court. Else, there are bunch of reasons that most likely have nothing with the scandal.

GM, being one of the companies that took the Govt. bailout, had/has restrictions on hiring foreign labor. So, it could just be that as well - GM not pursuing his Green Card.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 21:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hemanth lived a km away from my residence and was my brother's class mate in RV.
He used to ride around in his dad's Bajaj scooter until he moved to US for his master's.
A very simple, down to earth guy.
I sincerely hope his job situation gets better.
starter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 23:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is just the kind of news article written to get more clicks on the website. He is just one of a few thousand employees fired. He gets disproportionate attention as he's the one who helped unearth the VW dieselgate.

I don't think (hope that) being a whistle blower negatively influenced his case.
landcruiser123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 00:13   #13
BHPian

This is just a clickbait article. I personally know of 4 engineers (Keralites in USA) who were let go on GM"s bloody Monday. All of them have similar linkedin profiles and are well experienced

Almost 7000 engineers were let go over a week.

The people whom I knew, 1 was lucky to find a job with Chrysler. Another guy retired - he was on ex professor in Mechanical engineering in India. 3rd found temporary job with Ford and the 4th guy is still searching.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/...rcent-overall/

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/01/gm-r...next-week.html

Edit, just remembered about another guy, who was let go.. but got hired back in a lower position.

Last edited by Jomz : 10th May 2019 at 00:15.
Jomz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 19:20   #14
BHPian

Re: GM lays off the Bangalore man who helped uncover the VW emissions scandal

While reading this post, it echoes mixed sentiments - some are sad he lost a job, some say maybe he should have kept quiet rather than be a whistle blower there by risking his chances of going up the Corporate ladder. Well the way I see it - The man is a warrior who took on a giant - and won. Think about what would have happened if he would'nt have pursued it or even discouraged the team from doing so. The impact to environment - VW cars would still be pumping out toxic levels of pollutants to the atmosphere and its effects cannot be undone. Remember they accepted to the cheating when they were cornered. In a way this draws some parallels to the movie Big short - if he was right all the experts would be wrong , all the testing done worldwide would be wrong - and he was damn right. What is a job or a company when you know you changed the world! humanity owes it to people like him. Loosing a job is definitely tough, but from what he has achieved this is a small setback in the journey. There is a famous quote attributed to NRN - In God we trust, rest should bring data to the table!
Freon911 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks