Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2019, 14:40   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW's amazing farewell to Mercedes CEO on his retirement

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2019 at 17:49.
Nostalgic3r is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

Um. I see this ad as a shot taken by BMW at Mercedes.

The last part - FREE AT LAST - implies that Merc CEO always wanted to drive the BMW, but couldn't till now. It was hidden in the garage. But now that he has retired, he is free to drive the BMW.
SmartCat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 21:52   #18
BHPian

Just read about him, that too not a lot of good - failed partnership with Chrysler, diesel gate etc
Old 23rd May 2019, 22:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Um. I see this ad as a shot taken by BMW at Mercedes.

The last part - FREE AT LAST - implies that Merc CEO always wanted to drive the BMW, but couldn't till now. It was hidden in the garage. But now that he has retired, he is free to drive the BMW.
IMO That's a tongue in cheek kind of advertisement in addition to saying Thank you. Just allowing yourself to see the advertisement, may be a couple of times, to get over the immediate emotional Thank youpart, you get the subtle but an innate competitive message. Honestly, I liked this subtle, yet strong competition rather than in your face slangs. Brilliant advert, just the right amount and flavor to pass the message.
headbanger is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 08:00   #20
BHPian

Reminds me of this one!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW's amazing farewell to Mercedes CEO on his retirement-fb_img_1458109218284.jpg  

hok kolorob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 12:30   #21
BHPian

I agree with Smartcat , I think its a blatant use of a CEOs retirement to market its own brand. Not sure how MB's legal department approved this.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 08:38   #22
BHPian

I think, this is pure BMW marketing masquerading as camaraderie. I didn't fall for the ad though.
Old 26th May 2019, 10:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

This is one cheeky marketing by BMW using the exiting chairman's situation to their own benefit with a lookalike. Some of the employees were also fooled as shown in the ad.

M-Benz employees have been replying to messages by marketing folks on social media stating this was a "positive" for their own brand; but clearly, they aren't convincing anyone; the ad's message is clear - BMW is (being shown) as the way forward.

Wonderful camaraderie by both brands seen over the years; but clearly BMW has upped one on this instance; with Merc having no response at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I think its a blatant use of a CEOs retirement to market its own brand. Not sure how MB's legal department approved this.
They weren't. MB was ambushed, and very well going by the sober response given by MB on Facebook and Twitter. But very good of them to accept it; considering there's a senior executive who's name is at the center of all this; and the more important point is making sure his exit goes incident-free as much as possible.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 12:29   #24
BHPian

Gotta love German humour.

Barring the obvious, Him driving away in the i8 leaving behind a classic 60's 220 SE Ponton (looks like) is probably hinting at how advanced BMW is or how Merc is still lagging behind in terms of EV. Should change with the EQC coming out, but cannot deny the headstart BMW has had. We wont count the SLS AMG Electric as a real car here.

Either ways, I can't wait to see Merc's reply. Merc to me, is more german than most germans. Especially when they decide to take a jab. They keep it short and simple. No elaborate plot, no lookalikes, nothing. Just their trademark font and a dollop of german wit.

Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 13:39   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Barring the obvious, Him driving away in the i8 leaving behind a classic 60's 220 SE Ponton (looks like) is probably hinting at how advanced BMW is or how Merc is still lagging behind in terms of EV. Should change with the EQC coming out, but cannot deny the headstart BMW has had. We wont count the SLS AMG Electric as a real car here.
I beg to defer, although BMW were first with the i3 in electric car. Mercedes are firmly in the lead with a proper volume product with the GQC. We will see more models out next year. No sign of the i5 from BMW as yet. Only hybrid so far.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I beg to defer, although BMW were first with the i3 in electric car. Mercedes are firmly in the lead with a proper volume product with the GQC. We will see more models out next year. No sign of the i5 from BMW as yet. Only hybrid so far.
I see your point. Perhaps the GQC will wake BMW up from their electric slumber then.

I also feel that the i3 may get some renewed attention with all this talk about German electrics. BMW has also said that by 2025 they will have 12 fully electric models. And a similar number of hybrids.

Anyways, we digress; All said and done, this is exciting. And more so, because (Thank God) electric cars are starting to look like normal vehicles and very attractive ones at that. And Germans are proving they have a sense of humour. Maybe.
Old 29th May 2019, 22:19   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant advertisement by BMW here. I see it as a tribute to your opponent's captain. You acknowledge his career. And ofcourse it would always be need to be a bit funny and cheeky with BMW showing its superiority over Mercedes. Otherwise it would no longer make sense. But makes me wonder how did Mercedes let them have that footage or was it just staged?
Old 8th June 2019, 15:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Was showing the ad to my wife, and she pointed to the old Merc parked in the garage, as the supposedly ex-CEO zooms out in the i8.
Quite good attention to detail too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Barring the obvious, Him driving away in the i8 leaving behind a classic 60's 220 SE Ponton (looks like) is...
I think the vintage Mercedes is a 1953 model, probably a 300 S. Dr. Zetsche was born in 1953.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 12:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I think the vintage Mercedes is a 1953 model, probably a 300 S. Dr. Zetsche was born in 1953.
Nah, don't think it's that one. The car parked in the garage has a distinct bumper guard that's a bit concave with a slightly raked grill along with a chrome strip that runs down the side of the fender. It also has chrome on the wheel arches.

BMW's amazing farewell to Mercedes CEO on his retirement-screen-shot-20190617-12.37.42.png

Now look at the 300S' bumper guard and grill:

BMW's amazing farewell to Mercedes CEO on his retirement-mb1953300s5801.jpg

And the Ponton:

BMW's amazing farewell to Mercedes CEO on his retirement-139161_19875cb9e98ccbf9.jpg

Image credits:

https://www.classicdigest.com/cars/m...-ponton/139161
http://www.velocityjournal.com/journ...377/index.html

Can't be sure though. But sure looks like a Ponton.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th June 2019 at 08:52. Reason: Inserting images as attachments
Tassem is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed