Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2019, 23:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled

Spy images of the BMW X1 facelift have surfaced online. The car was spotted in China.

Changes to the front include a larger kidney grille joined in the middle, revised dual-tone bumpers and headlights with different design elements. The bumper also gets larger side intakes. The rear gets slimmer tail lights with redesigned design elements.

The X1 is expected to retain the existing powertrain options. It is also reported that a hybrid model will also be offered at launch. In China, the company offers an xDrive25Le model with 109 km of electric range. The new model could come with better battery capacity. In India, the X1 is offered with a BS-VI compliant 2.0-liter turbo petrol engine rated at 189 BHP / 280 Nm and a 2.0-liter turbo diesel rated at 187 BHP / 400 Nm.

Reports suggest that production could start in July 2019.

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmwx1faceliftleakedinchinalookssporty134509_1.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmwx1faceliftleakedinchinalookssporty_1.jpg

Source: BMWBlog

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 23:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled

I guess this was expected (going by the inflamed kidney grille design theme with BMW these days), but this is one car I personally feel sad about! After the bland original, the current generation X1 was a totally refreshing change and a good looking car IMHO!

Not anymore.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 23:58   #3
BHPian

That grille looks really out of place on this. It feels almost like an after thought, stuck on just to get the facelift in line with the 'family face'.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 15:21   #4
RWD
BHPian

Absolutely hideous front end! What with that oversized grille and weird bumper.

I was under the impression that BMW is going with a theory that grille size denotes the product's placement in the model hierarchy - larger the grille, higher the model is placed in the lineup. But, alas they have blessed the base line product such as X1 also with a gigantic grille. These new BMWs are making Bangled BMWs look pleasant in comparison.
RWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:36   #5
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2019 at 09:55.
hydraulicsteer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th May 2019, 09:59   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

YUCK!

As Crazy Driver said, compared to the lame previous-gen X1, this generation of the X1 is a pretty good looking car. But trust BMW's new design language to ruin it.

Isn't there someone in authority @ BMW who can put a stop to this nonsense? The board of directors? The CEO? Quandt family? This is especially important because Mercedes' design keeps jumping from strength to strength. BMW & Lexus make the worst looking luxury cars today. Mercedes is the best, followed by Jaguar-Land Rover, then Audi.

You know things are bad when even an M5 looks ugly.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 20:46   #7
BHPian

The X7, the current 7 LCI, this X1 facelift and most other modern BMW's are all styled with prospective Chinese customers in mind. Well to do Chinese customers don't quite appreciate subtlety and want all the bling and legroom in the world. Mercedes has mastered the art of imbibing the requisite bling in its designs without necessitating the addition of unsavory bits while BMW hasn't. IMO, BMW's competitive advantage continues to be its exceptionally good powertrains and better reliability when compared to it's German competitors.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 27th May 2019 at 20:48.
Old 27th May 2019, 20:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Isn't there someone in authority @ BMW who can put a stop to this nonsense? The board of directors? The CEO? Quandt family?
Well, there is one thing that can stop grills from growing bigger, infact can shut it altogether, 'Electricity'!
These may be the last or if not the second last generations where we will be able to see a grill. The 'i' series cars have blanks instead of open grills.
Along with fake exhausts, we will now be seeing fake grills!
Old 30th May 2019, 15:05   #9
BHPian

It's now been officially unveiled by BMW, and the big news is that there will be a plug-in hybrid version released next year. Top Gear UK are fine with the looks of the car, and I actually agree with them. Looks are subjective, but to my eyes, it's not a bad looking car at all, and way better than the new 1 Series

Quote:
Hurrah! BMW hasn’t forgotten how to make a half decent-looking car. The facelifted X1 that you see above isn’t bad, right?
The original X1 was launched in 2015 and clearly wasn’t an ugly car. In fact, it was the highest-selling BMW X model last year and the best seller in the premium, compact SUV sector.
A popular thing then, and the updates seem to have improved it even further. It’s a muscular crossover this.

Putting visuals aside, the big news surrounding this mid-life update is the introduction of a new plug-in hybrid that should arrive next year.
The snappily-named xDrive25e will be the first plug-in X1 sold outside of China and will deploy a 9.7kWh battery and 95bhp electric motor driving the rear wheels, with a 125bhp petrol powering the fronts. It’ll be good for 31 miles on electric power alone and a claimed 141mpg too.
The rest of the range will be made up of the usual three and four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, combined with either front or all-wheel drive.

The facelift will also bring four new wheel options if you don’t fancy the 17-inchers that come as standard, and there are three new exterior colours too. How does Jucaro Beige metallic sound? Lovely.
Inside it’s all classic BMW. The iDrive system is now onto its sixth generation and comes with a 6.5-inch screen, although buyers can upgrade to either 8.8 or 10.25-inches if size really is everything.
BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x1.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x2.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x3.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x4.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x5.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x6.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x7.jpg

BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled-bmw-x8.jpg

Source

Here is the official launch film:

Cheers
Old 30th May 2019, 16:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
It's now been officially unveiled by BMW, and the big news is that there will be a plug-in hybrid version released next year. Top Gear UK are fine with the looks of the car, and I actually agree with them. Looks are subjective, but to my eyes, it's not a bad looking car at all, and way better than the new 1 Series

I was just going to post about the car being unveiled.

After seeing what they had done to the 7 series and from the initial pictures, I had decided that this was another good looking car coming to the dark side, but after the unveil I agree with Top Gear on it being quite good looking. I think the reason to that is they haven't changed too much from a car that already was good looking. Like they say~ Why fix something that isn't broken!
Old 25th November 2019, 07:55   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 facelift spotted in China. EDIT : Now unveiled

When is this hitting the Indian market? Dealers currently are offering huge discounts on the current generation X1 and I am sure these will only increase once we closer to the launch date of the new car.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed