Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2019, 16:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Man found crammed behind car glove box in bid to enter Europe

Of late, thousands of migrants from Africa have been trying to enter Spain in the hope of finding a a better life in Europe. They have been using two enclaves in north Africa - Melilla and Ceuta to enter the country. In the process, they have been even scaling fences topped by razor wire.

In one such instance, an African man was found crammed behind the glove box of a car while attempting to enter Europe. He was one of four people spotted in vehicles on the same day by authorities in Morocco and the Spanish enclave of Melilla.

Man found crammed behind car glove box in bid to enter Europe-1.jpg

Three people were found in separate cars at the Beni-Enzar border between Morocco and Melilla. One of them was a 15-year-old girl. Two of them were treated for asphyxia, disorientation and joint pain. The fourth person was found under a truck in the Melilla port. All these migrants were discovered on May 24, 2019

Man found crammed behind car glove box in bid to enter Europe-2.jpg

While two hid in specially designed compartments behind the dashboard, the third was under a rear seat.

Man found crammed behind car glove box in bid to enter Europe-3.jpg

Source: CNN
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 16:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Man found crammed behind car glove box in bid to enter Europe

My empathy for these young people. All they are trying to do is to earn a living and get a job and are displaying a great deal of determination to get to a job. While I can understand the consternation of the Europeans and their fear of getting flooded this remains a huge problem that cries for a solution. Today 75% of the world's population is in Africa + Asia and by some estimates that number will grow to 80% in 25 years. What the Africans are for Europe the Central Americans are for USA and the Bangladeshis are for India - poor people trying to find a way to make a living.
V.Narayan is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:00   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
In one such instance, an African man was found crammed behind the glove box of a car while attempting to enter Europe. He was one of four people spotted in vehicles on the same day by authorities in Morocco and the Spanish enclave of Melilla.
Damn, this just shows how desperate their situation would be. My heart goes out to them. Here is one more article with some horrific images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
What the Africans are for Europe the Central Americans are for USA and the Bangladeshis are for India - poor people trying to find a way to make a living.
Great post, thanks! I have seen first-hand how illegal immigrants struggle in the USA, working night & day to make ends meet. If we think 12-hour days on our desks are tough, try 18-hour days in a warehouse, store room, restaurant or a taxi cab. From what I saw, they pretty much give up their life in hope of a better life for the next generation (i.e. their children).

That said, illegal entry into a country is a big no-no and comes with its own set of problems.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd June 2019 at 14:03.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:10   #4
BHPian

I feel bad for these people who are trying to get a proper living and ready to give up everything. Developed countries instead of building walls and fences, should work for increasing the standard of living of people in these countries. Help should be of fundamental nature and not just supply of food and materials. No country wants illegal immigration, it brings changes not only to economic but social structure as well.
Old 3rd June 2019, 22:49   #5
BHPian

On a slightly tangential topic, but in the next few decades we will see water & food scarcity hit Africa and several regions of Asia due to climate change and poor agriculture/pisciculture policies. Overfishing off the coast of Africa by local and Chinese ships has devastated the fish population and there is no will to tackle it. Just today I read on reddit that the shipping population has increased from 1.7 to 3.7 million boats (some of these are super trawlers the size of the Empire State building) while fish schools are rapidly dying out.

Africa and the middle East are also two of the positive population growth regions while USA, Europe and most of Indo Pacific are showing negative growth. Again, no will or ability to bring things under control.

I am absolutely certain that the influx of refugees from the MEA region into Europe will increase and it will put an ever increasing strain on the resources of these host countries. Not all European countries are rich, and not all of them are welcoming towards immigrants.

I am not trying to be contrarian and while it is true that these desperate people are trying to lead a better life elsewhere, but their governments (pointing towards Africa here) are selling out their natural resources to China with no care for the next generation. Europe will rightly ask why they have to clean up someone else's mess?

We have already seen far right movements/politicians across the EU and anti immigration protests gaining popularity. Things can get very bad very fast
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks