Team-BHP - Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/210073-driving-jaguar-f-type-track-jaguar-art-performance-tour.html)

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8655.jpg

One of the things I miss having moved over to Australia is the chance to attend events to which Team-BHP is invited. It was always a pleasure to be able to attend these, and in the process build memories that would last a lifetime. On the bright side, there are always experiences of a different kind to keep the motorhead in me alive n kickin.

As part of a local drive group, I got to know of Jaguar’s Art of Performance event which was to be held at a track outside the Brisbane city limits. All that was required was a signup, and choosing the time of our convenience from the available slots. I quickly informed fellow Team-BHPian and friend kiku007 to keep his schedule free, and sign up so we could attend together. Quite rightly so, as soon enough the slots were all taken up!

Needless to say we were looking forward to a fun filled day at the track. Here is a teaser pic of what's to come.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8700-copy.jpg

As the Sunday arrived, I made my way to kiku007’s place where I left my car and we drove down to the Norwell Performance track in the Subaru WRX.

The Norwell track located between Brisbane and the Gold Coast is no stranger to us. We had attended a previous track event where private cars could be taken on track with prior registration. I remained a spectator while kiku007 got a chance to get pally with his WRX while in the midst of other legendary Japanese and European motors.

Cut back to the present day, and driving in we got to see the SUVs from the Jaguar range lined up, as well as an earmarked area on the skidpan where the F Type was being put through the rings as part of the smartcone challenge.

We quickly completed the signing in formalities and proceeded to the smartcone event.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8661.jpg

The goal of the smartcone event is rather simple. Drive the car between the two cones with the blinking green LEDs. The next cones to drive through are the ones which currently blink blue.

Oh wait! You don’t know where the next blue light will blink. Which means, you need to be ready to get there as fast as possible.
When the lights all over flash red, it’s time to Stop, so the system can determine the score.

There is an instructor with you who gives feedback on how to tackle some of the turns, and so on. In short, it’s a game of strategy, choosing the right line, exit from a set of cones, speed and accuracy.

There are 3 factors considered when your score is determined by the system:
1.) Time – Given the lowest weightage among the 3 parameters.
2.) Accuracy – Checks that you pass between the cones centrally as far as possible.
3.) Distance – Checks the distance you have driven to complete the challenge. This means you need to choose the right exit out of a set of cones and also the shortest path to get to your destination.

Kiku007 poses with the F Type
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8656.jpg

That's me posing with the F Type
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3804.jpg

When my turn came, I settled in, doing my best to get acquainted with the controls on the F Type. The cabin feels so cosy, and the encapsulating feeling as provided by the seats makes you feel straight at home. Latch on the seatbelt, while the instructor taps the car into Dynamic mode, and we are set.

Preparing for set off
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-cones1.jpg

As the lights indicate green, we are ready to enter the circuit. I hit pedal to the metal to the extent possible, with some tight cuts at the corners, which invokes feedback from the instructor to cut speed prior to the turn, else I risk losing time just sliding around during the turn. I was also informed to keep looking out for the next set of flashing blue lights so I know immediately where to head next.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8663.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8664.jpg

To help settle in, the score from the first couple or so cones are not taken into account.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8658.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8674.jpg

The experience was immense fun, and soon enough I was done with my round. I got a thumbs up from the instructor and headed out to check my score.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8671.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8673.jpg

I was informed that I had done relatively well, and my score at that point stood 3rd on the board. Kiku007 took more time getting the hang of it, and so scored lower than me for this attempt. As there was still time for us to proceed to our drive on the track, kiku007 and me hung around a bit more so we could get another try.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8660.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8659.jpg

The second time round, I somehow didn’t match up to my performance from the first time, and ended up scoring lower. Kiku007 on the other hand managed to do way better, and also bettered my score from the first attempt.

My score from the first attempt
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3806.jpg

Here is a video of me navigating the Smart Cone Challenge. Dont miss the exhaust note during those quick bursts to the next pair of cones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JwOZEqgGRI

Soon it was time for the presentation and we made our way to the event office.

As mentioned in the briefing, the Art of Performance Tour is a travelling event hosted by Jaguar, moving away from conventional advertising, while focusing on experiences rather than information. The message was that ads can be fast forwarded, blocked or even ignored, while experiences are cherished.

With the standard focus on driving safety, as well as general housekeeping rules as far as convoy driving is concerned, we were divided into 2 teams. Team 1 to drive the Jag SUVs on the roads in a convoy, while Team 2 gets to drive the spirited Jags on track, and vice versa once each segment is completed.

The SUV lineup
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3818.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3819.jpg

Kiku007 and I were paired together and the first car we got to take out on the road was the Jaguar E Pace SVR, followed by the I Pace.

With the E Pace SVR
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3816.jpg

Kiku007 tries to get a hang of the E Pace interiors
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3817.jpg

And then it's my turn
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_5245.jpg

As we were driving in a convoy we didn’t really get to push any of these vehicles and it was more of a chance to get a feel of the car in general.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3822.jpg

Driving the I Pace was something I was looking forward to, as I hadn’t driven any of the new gen electric cars – the only previous electric car I have driven being the Reva on Bangalore roads.

First impression sitting in it is that it felt rather futuristic. We were informed not to pay much heed to the displayed range on the car, as it was obviously pushed around by many on the earlier drives and the system adapts to those driving styles.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3820.jpg

The car was now ready to get going, and off we went. It was just so … err.. silent. The motor sounded a lot like the Dyson vacuum cleaner at home, save being a tad more quiet. The power delivery was very linear, no question about that. What I wasn’t expecting was the friction owing to the regenerative effect in recharging the battery as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator. It was quite strong, which made me ask the Jaguar representative who was along with us in the car. He immediately switched the Regenerative mode to Low, from the High where it was earlier. While this made the effect slightly less pronounced, it surely did bother me. Must be the effect of not having driven more of these electrics.

Kiku007 with the I Pace
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3823.jpg

I didn’t get to floor the car to check the instant response as we were on public roads and there was general road traffic around us, not to forget cops patrolling the area. Kiku007 queried the representative if the I Pace had a ludicrous mode, similar to that on their competition, and he replied he didn’t know what that was. :D

Anyway, we made our way back to the Motorplex, and the more fun part of the day was yet to come.

Time to execute the Art of Performance moves

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8715.jpg

The long awaited part of the event was soon upon us – the chance to take these Jags to the track and unleash their performance. Once again we got divided into pairs, so we could swap the car with our pair after completing the drive.

I got to go first.. and the cars were lined up before us.

The lineup
Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3835.jpg

We were supposed to get into them in serial order.. but seeing that the car I was supposed to get into was the XE, I allowed the person following me to proceed, thereby getting the chance to take the F Type SVR out on track. :D

Having found a good driving position, which seemed to come easy in the F Type, it was soon time to put pedal to the metal.

When my turn came i made my way to the front of the queue, and awaited the signal to let loose. And we were off!

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8699.jpg

I made my way onto the track and using the experience with the F Type from the previous stints at the smartcone challenge, i pushed hard. So hard that i could feel the car eager to step out, reined in by the traction from the AWD system, as well as the Dynamic mode aids that were enabled.

Soon i was at the first corner.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8720.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8721.jpg

Typical to how i would usually drive, i was going in fast into the corner and shedding speed while taking the turn. I could sense how i wasnt sticking to the line i was expecting, with this approach.

The instructor was quick to point out what i was doing wrong. At the next corner he asked to go hard to the turn, and then massively shed speed just before it. As soon as we were into the turn, i was asked to push hard, which i did. It was amazing!

I was making quick progress, but had to slow in parts as overtaking was not allowed, unless directed by the instructor of the car in front. Believe me, seeing my speed i was allowed to pass by two cars. Got some words of appreciation from the instructor as well, at various instances during the drive.

After the first track sessions on the F Type, the next time i got a go in the XE. It felt different as compared to the F Type, which was expected, but fast it was too.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_5259.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8711.jpg

With this completed, it was time for the hot lap.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3828.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3825.jpg

This consisted of the car being driven all out by one of the instructors, and we getting to ride shotgun. This time i got the F Type once again, although it wasnt the SVR this time. Being driven by the experts, the car was popped into manual mode, and stability aids disengaged.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8719.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8693-copy.jpg

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_8684.jpg

Despite going all out, it was amazing to see how well the F Type stuck to its line in the hands of a capable driver. Somehow i felt so at home, that i wasnt even holding on to the handles on the door. :) The instructor seeing this asked me if i was feeling ok. LOL!

After a highly engaging drive, it was now time to head back to the sidelines as is inevitable with all good things that must come to an end. Kik007 and myself clicked some pics with the Project 8, and then headed back, eagerly discussing and reflecting on a rewarding day out with the Jags.

Thank you Jaguar Australia for the opportunity to enjoy ourselves as part of the Art of Performance Tour 2019.

Driving the Jaguar F-Type on track at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour-img_3839.jpg

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

5.0L Supercharged V8 | 567hp | 700 Nm | 0-100 in 3.7 seconds | Top speed of 322 kmph. | AWD

Yeah, I drove the Jaguar F Type SVR:D

The drivetrain and driving dynamics of this monster was at a different level. So powerful and yet nimble.

Driving the XE 300S after driving the F Type only highlighted how special the F type was. The XE felt obviously heavy and wasn't as nimble around corners.

The e Pace was a meh kind of crossover in my opinion. The interiors look dated and dull. The diesel mill was torquey but nothing exciting.

The I Pace EV is a good attempt but then it's not a match to Tesla. The Model S or Model X are way better and worth the premium. The I Pace just didn't feel like a $120K car.

Good on Jaguar for conducting such events. In fact, I've had a bad experience with their local dealership while wanting to test drive the XE. It's good to know that the company as such is spending so much time and effort to engage with potential customers through such events. I can't imagine the stress the Jaguar drivers will be undergoing sitting next to strangers and letting them tame 560 horses on a race track. Respect for them!

Having said that, there was just one or two Jaguar customer cars I saw on the day. I can't help contrast this to the huge participation from owners at events hosted by BMW, Mercedes or Subaru.

As a brand I don't know what lies ahead for them. The XJ and XE are old. The F Pace and E Pace haven't set the charts on fire. Anyways, god bless them for making cars like the F Type and XE SV Project 8.clap:

Great report, Benny! You are clearly having a lot of fun on the other side of the planet. Always love reading your threads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 4602740)
We were supposed to get into them in serial order.. but seeing that the car I was supposed to get into was the XE, I allowed the person following me to proceed, thereby getting the chance to take the F Type SVR out on track. :D

rl:

Quote:

So hard that i could feel the car eager to step out, reined in by the traction from the AWD system, as well as the Dynamic mode aids that were enabled.
You know, I've always been a RWD guy. That belief was only strengthened after driving cars like the EVO X (rather numb feeling). However, after experiencing today's generation of 600 BHP super-sedans (E63 & M5), I'm convinced that AWD is a must in this horsepower race of manufacturers. As an example, where the previous-gen M5 was an absolute hooligan, the current M5 is so stable & has enormous poise, thanks in no small part to the AWD. In anything over 500 BHP, I feel AWD is now a must for the sheer control it offers. Of course, in a 400 BHP car, I'd still prefer RWD.

Quote:

Despite going all out, it was amazing to see how well the F Type stuck to its line in the hands of a capable driver. Somehow i felt so at home, that i wasnt even holding on to the handles on the door. :) The instructor seeing this asked me if i was feeling ok. LOL!
These are always the most humbling moments :). I remember riding shotgun in a 2-seat Formula car. The professional racer was accelerating way beyond the point of the corner where I had already slammed on the brakes! Hahahaha. We all think we are "Schumachers" until we sit with the real deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 4602736)
That's me posing with the F Type]

Lovely write-up as always, Benny!
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 4602966)
Yeah, I drove the Jaguar F Type SVR:D

Wow, the figures sound delicious!

What an experience to have & both of you seem to have come out with HUGE smiles on your faces. That's a day well spent!

I guess, the XF was the only missing car in the line-up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aah78 (Post 4603626)

What an experience to have & both of you seem to have come out with HUGE smiles on your faces. That's a day well spent!

Absolutely man. I would have missed it if not for Benny's keen eyes.

Quote:

I guess, the XF was the only missing car in the line-up?

Now that you mention, I can't remember spotting the XF. The XE and XF look quite similar.

Looks like this was miles better than the Indian version, this was actually held on a track as opposed to a runway out here. All we got to do was drive the F-Type in a straight line. Did enjoy flinging the saloons into the slaloms though!

The E-Pace is a rebased Evoque

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4603258)
Great report, Benny! You are clearly having a lot of fun on the other side of the planet. Always love reading your threads.

Thanks Rush. :thumbs up

Quote:

As an example, where the previous-gen M5 was an absolute hooligan, the current M5 is so stable & has enormous poise, thanks in no small part to the AWD. In anything over 500 BHP, I feel AWD is now a must for the sheer control it offers. Of course, in a 400 BHP car, I'd still prefer RWD.

I agree. With great power comes greater responsibility. Also, we can pretend to know our limits, but it's always better to be safe, than sorry.

Quote:

Lovely write-up as always, Benny!

Thanks aah78. Appreciate the kind words.

Quote:

Was surely an experience to cherish. It's not everyday you get a chance to let these machines loose on a track, of all places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 4603782)
Absolutely man. I would have missed it if not for Benny's keen eyes.

Haha! Thanks for that. The moment i saw the invite, i just knew we had to go. At that point i didnt even know what to expect as part of the event.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4603815)
Looks like this was miles better than the Indian version, this was actually held on a track as opposed to a runway out here. All we got to do was drive the F-Type in a straight line. Did enjoy flinging the saloons into the slaloms though!

The E-Pace is a rebased Evoque

Thanks ajmat. The event was extremely well-organised, spanning across almost a week. The scale of things that needed to be in order becomes all the more evident when you consider driving involved on public roads, across multiple batches and days. clap:

Quote:

You know, I've always been a RWD guy. That belief was only strengthened after driving cars like the EVO X (rather numb feeling). However, after experiencing today's generation of 600 BHP super-sedans (E63 & M5), I'm convinced that AWD is a must in this horsepower race of manufacturers. As an example, where the previous-gen M5 was an absolute hooligan, the current M5 is so stable & has enormous poise, thanks in no small part to the AWD. In anything over 500 BHP, I feel AWD is now a must for the sheer control it offers. Of course, in a 400 BHP car, I'd still prefer RWD.

True that, AWD makes a world of a difference. You get to throw the car into a corner when you know damn well that the moment you come onto the throttle she'll settle down and pull out cleanly. With a RWD, you have to be very patient with the throttle, need to time it correctly and open it just enough to straighten out the car, the margin for error is quite small, makes it very challenging. Too early with the throttle, you might just go wide, too late and you'll spin.
The more powerful a car is, the smaller this margin. So AWD obviously makes it much more noob friendly on one end, and on the other end, with an skilled driver, much much faster because you can pull out from a corner much better.

Video of me driving F-Type SVR on ice: https://www.instagram.com/p/ButwlG6F..._web_copy_link

These vehicle reactions are super exaggerated when on low grip surfaces like ice. Here's a video of me driving (sliding actually :) ) the F-Type SVR on ice. It was much easier to hold the slide with AWD. We did the same activity on the RWD V6 and that required superhuman effort to keep it sliding just correctly.

Quote:

These are always the most humbling moments :). I remember riding shotgun in a 2-seat Formula car. The professional racer was accelerating way beyond the point of the corner where I had already slammed on the brakes! Hahahaha. We all think we are "Schumachers" until we sit with the real deal.

It's super fun to see people's reactions when i give them rides like these. Makes me very happy that i'm making someone's day and creating a memory for them. But, some people don't enjoy it and ask questions like, 'why does one need to go so fast?' !!

These things happen to people like us as well when we're in a new environment. For example, on the ice i was a noob, just learning the tricks of the trade. Over 3 days i thought i had become quite okay on it. Then the instructor gave me a ride.......Enough said ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalsa777 (Post 4604170)
The more powerful a car is, the smaller this margin. So AWD obviously makes it much more noob friendly on one end, and on the other end, with an skilled driver, much much faster because you can pull out from a corner much better.

So true. I've been able to keep up with more powerful cars on track and on back roads thanks to the AWD and paddle shifters.

Quote:

It's super fun to see people's reactions when i give them rides like these. Makes me very happy that i'm making someone's day and creating a memory for them.

:thumbs up Do work for a racing team or an automaker?

Quote:

These things happen to people like us as well when we're in a new environment. For example, on the ice i was a noob, just learning the tricks of the trade. Over 3 days i thought i had become quite okay on it. Then the instructor gave me a ride.......Enough said ;)

We just keep improving don't we! This time I learnt that I wasn't looking at the next corner soon enough. I was focusing in the current corner more so. It's amazing how the professional drivers manage to teach so much in 2-3 laps.

Great report guys! clap: Absolutely love the F-Type SVR. It is probably the best looking Jag since the legendary E-Type. The V8 has a wonderful note to it. I am sure you must have come home wanting for more!

Quote:

However, after experiencing today's generation of 600 BHP super-sedans (E63 & M5), I'm convinced that AWD is a must in this horsepower race of manufacturers. As an example, where the previous-gen M5 was an absolute hooligan, the current M5 is so stable & has enormous poise, thanks in no small part to the AWD. In anything over 500 BHP, I feel AWD is now a must for the sheer control it offers. Of course, in a 400 BHP car, I'd still prefer RWD.

I absolutely agree here. AWD is the way to go as cars get more powerful. How far you can push a powerful vehicle also defines how well the car drives and with AWD this fact cannot be emphasized more. The M5 being the case in point as you pointed out well. I remember watching a video from UK. The car expert described how one must be vary buying a used Porsche 911 as many of them were known to be involved in a crash as drivers were unable to tame the power and RWD in regular driving conditions (including wet weather conditions in UK).