Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2019, 18:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Toyota cars to get auto engine shut off & auto park

Toyota USA has announced two safety features that are designed for forgetful drivers. Automatic engine shut off and automatic park will be a standard on cars from MY2020.

Automatic engine shut off will turn off a car after a pre-determined period of time in case the engine has been kept running. The system will also give enhanced audible and visual warning to drivers to remind them to turn off the engine. Since 2003, Toyota cars come equipped with the smart key system that gives a 2-step alert to the driver.

Automatic park will shift the gear into Park and/or apply the parking brake in case the driver leaves the vehicle without doing so. Toyota claims that this has been designed to reduce the risk of roll-away. Automatic park will be available in cars with electronic means of shifting into Park or with an e-brake.

USA: Toyota cars to get auto engine shut off & auto park-2019toyotacamry12.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 13:49   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: USA: Toyota cars to get auto engine shut off & auto park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Automatic park will shift the gear into Park and/or apply the parking brake in case the driver leaves the vehicle without doing so.
BMW has this since ages (my car does) and it should become the law. If you open the driver's door, the gearbox automatically moves to "P". This feature is especially important on the electronic gear controllers we have in so many cars today.

Quote:
Toyota claims that this has been designed to reduce the risk of roll-away.
And also from rolling back onto you! A Star Trek actor died in that horribly painful way in 2016 - related news. When I was studying in Boston, a fellow from my college somehow forgot to put his Mitsubishi Eclipse in "P" and walked down the slope. The car rolled back onto him. It was pretty bad. He was stuck under the car and had to be hospitalised.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 13:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you open the driver's door, the gearbox automatically moves to "P".
What about the millions of desi drivers who open the door while in motion to spit out their gutka, khaini and paan spit?
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 15:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
What about the millions of desi drivers who open the door while in motion to spit out their gutka, khaini and paan spit?
They shouldn't drive a Mercedes.
Because it will engage the e-parking brake as well.

Jokes aside, this only happens when the car is in standstill. If the car is in motion, it should only show a door open warning and beeping that will put the '80kmph speed alert beep' to shame.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 08:00   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
What about the millions of desi drivers who open the door while in motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Jokes aside, this only happens when the car is in standstill.
Some BMWs will go into "Park" even if the car is in motion, although I'm sure there is a speed limit to the feature (engaging P at 100 kmph could be dangerous to other road users). I tried opening the door of my car at a slow speed and it immediately engaged "P". Here's a discussion on the same - link.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 08:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Does Toyota's plan/announcement indicate that people just walk away from their cars leaving the engine running or leaving key behind in the car ? With AT cars one has to engage park before they can take the key out. Or are these features for cars with keyless entry & start ?
Old 18th June 2019, 09:53   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does Toyota's plan/announcement indicate that people just walk away from their cars leaving the engine running or leaving key behind in the car ?
It's especially a problem with these electronic gear shifters. Sometimes, you think you have pressed the "Park" button, but you haven't (say, if you do it lightly). I have to sheepishly admit that I am guilty of the same in the E-Class and its unconventional steering console-mounted shifter.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks