Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2007, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Land Cruiser 70 series-turbodiesel V8[euro4]

Toyota has unveiled the latest version of the vehicle that embodies "4WD tough", the Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series.
The highlight of the new range is Toyota's first turbo-diesel V8 engine, providing even better performance and excellent fuel economy.
The new 4.5-litre V8 produces more than 150kW of power and 400Nm of torque while complying with the Euro IV emissions standard.

More pics and source:
New Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series Breaks Cover (AU)

This Picture was taken from:
New Toyota LandCruiser 70-series break cover in Australia - Global Auto Index News

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 4th February 2007 at 11:53.
Old 4th February 2007, 13:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

ugly duckling would be too polite for this machine...and they say its been RE-STYLED....

"The improved styling, which adds to the rugged looks of the 70 Series, will offer greater visual appeal for customers."

Please tell me they are kidding..
Old 4th February 2007, 14:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well I can see the top most item on Taliban's shopping list right now
Old 4th February 2007, 16:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Im sure this is the pick up version look. The actual suv will be made to look more appealing. (I dont seem to understand how that would be possible)as this is the basis of the new LC) the right word i was looking for is unprintable ( Irags's vocab would be highly of use here) but I can suffiec with a plain YUCKY!!
Old 4th February 2007, 16:56   #5
BHPian

I can see qualis type face hidden behind it
Old 4th February 2007, 19:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I can see qualis type face hidden behind it

Qualis is what came to my mind too.

Hey, Is the landcruiser based on this pick-up version???

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2012 at 16:20. Reason: Removing excessive dots
Old 4th February 2007, 20:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, is this 2007 we're living in again?
Old 5th February 2007, 06:45   #8
BHPian

I really think rahul misplaced this post here instead of P.I.M.P. Mobiles thread! :-D

my daughter says "yuckee..."
Old 5th February 2007, 08:24   #9
BANNED

Guys! What's wrong here? :

This is LandCruiser 70 series and not to be mistaken with the LandCruiser (100) SUVs or Prado. 70 series are workhorses designed to go anywhere, do anything, survive without water, oil etc.. and they always had this basic look. They never were considered beauty queens or sexy hunks. Just plain I'm ugly kind it was for many.

But as iRags said, this is a vehicle which TALIBAN relied on. From which it's toughness and beauty can be well understood.

Those who think this is an ugly makeover, please spare some time to have a look at the earlier LC 70 series.
Old 5th February 2007, 09:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

I agree with SpeedZak here. Its a total workhorse.
While we are on the topic, I got a nice excerpt about it from a bigger article by Jeremy Clarkson written in 2003 I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
When things in the Middle East finally kick off, George W----- Bush will be able to field 120,000 troops, three carrier battle groups and more than 1,000 planes, including naval F-18 Hornets and F-14 Tomcats. There will probably be three nuclear submarines on stand-by, too, as well as countless tanks and Tomahawk cruise missiles.
Now let’s be brutally honest, shall we? A force as big as this would be enough to conquer Britain or France. Probably both. At the same time. So why use it on Iraq, which has no navy, an air force that was wiped out by George W-----’s dad and an army that would much rather be back in Baghdad running the family carpet shop? The problem is, of course, that Iraq has access to a limitless supply of the Third World’s most fearsome fighting weapon — the Toyota pick-up truck.
Whenever you tune to the news coverage of some far-flung conflict, the motley army with its collection of home-made AK-47s is always seen tearing to the front line in a wide and varied selection of flat-bed Toyotas. It’s the Taliban Tonka toy, the Tamil’s Tiger tank, and it’s not hard to see why.
One minute it’s a troop transporter and the next it’s a hospital ship. And that’s just the start. With a tube on the back, it’s a Scud launcher, and with a gun, it’s an armoured personnel carrier. Fit a conning tower and it could probably pass muster as a hunter-killer submarine, too.
Furthermore, the Toyota pick-up is a fearsome off-road campaigner. Many years ago, I drove one extensively around the Arabian desert and though it was old and knackered — we called it the Millennium Falcon — it really could reach parts of the Middle East that other beards couldn’t.
For the past decade or so, America’s answer to the multi-skilled Toyota has been the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle. Or the HMMWV for short. Not that HMMWV is particularly short, which is why most people call it the Humvee.
Old 24th June 2010, 23:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

So Rs.28lacs +103% duty.
So around <60 lacs to import a Toyota LC70 wagon?
I thought atleast this LC will be cheap! Well we have other sensible choices.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
So Rs.28lacs +103% duty.
So around <60 lacs to import a Toyota LC70 wagon?
I thought atleast this LC will be cheap! Well we have other sensible choices.

The LC 70 is something to a true offroading enthuseast woudl die for LOL. It is trulyawsome off road

Its still sells for a good premium in he UAE and its still alive and well in Australia where it comes with the coil sprung rear suspension.
Old 27th June 2010, 19:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@wasif . Actually am die hard fan of the LC70.Just think of it,to me it's the most practical car for india(aside the V8)
I was relieved to see something like the LC70 existed when all the LCs and Prados have gone premium.
I just meant that i expected it to be priced at about hilux level(under20 lacs), but when i converted the aussie dollars it came to be about 28 lacs for the GXL wagon.Still i want to import it if i have the money.
But other than the Toyota website and a couple of videos,there's nothing much in the net for knowing more about the LC70.
P.S. Glad to hear it has the rear coil suspension for the wagon,i thought it was leafs! Atlast only fly in the ointment removed.
Here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
New Land Cruiser 70 series-turbodiesel V8[euro4]-77119.jpg  

Last edited by DicKy : 27th June 2010 at 20:09.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's some more pics taken from the australian toyota site.
Attached Thumbnails
New Land Cruiser 70 series-turbodiesel V8[euro4]-77047.jpg  

New Land Cruiser 70 series-turbodiesel V8[euro4]-83753.jpg  

New Land Cruiser 70 series-turbodiesel V8[euro4]-77149.jpg  

Last edited by DicKy : 29th June 2010 at 21:05.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

reminds me a lot of the good ol Qualis
As the case with all Land Cruisers, They are Built to serve

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks