Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

R.I.P. Lee Iacocca

Lee Iaccoca is no more. Details below:

Quote:
Lee Iaccoca, one of the automotive world's most influential figures, passed away on July 2. He brought new insights and strategies on how best to run a car company in the years he spent at Ford and Chrysler but is best remembered for his role in creating the Ford Mustang and then going on to rescue Chrysler from bankruptcy by building the first of that brand's iconic minivans
More details: http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/l...s-passes-away/

His autobiography was one of the first automotive books that I read and liked immensely. RIP!!!
arvind71181 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:57   #2
BANNED

re: R.I.P. Lee Iacocca

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Lee Iaccoca is no more. Details below:

More details: http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/l...s-passes-away/

His autobiography was one of the first automotive books that I read and liked immensely. RIP!!!
Sad. His autobiography was part of my early readings. When my dad gave me the book, I was a bit worried if I would not understand what I expected to be a total business text. But, I could not have been more wrong. The writing was lucid and I was delighted by all the anecdotes and stories behind the stories behind all the iconic cars that we know from Ford and Chrysler.

He talked about how he decided to build the minivan at Chrysler once he was booted out of Ford, and was quite candid about what drove him to the decision; a.) he knew that there was a market for such a vehicle and b.) he wanted to script a success story to stick it to the Ford management. It was so interesting to read about how he personally participated in the design process where they decided that they should keep the floor low to allow American women in skirts to enter and exit the vehicle gracefully while retaining their modesty.

One quote remains with me though. He said that he saw a sign on a bakery store front that read "Our hot cakes are selling like Mustangs". He knew then that they had cracked it. That was funny and so memorable
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

RIP. A true legend. I read IACOCCA- An Autobiography in its condensed form in Reader's Digest sometime in the mid '80s. Though I hadn't even laid eyes on a Ford or Chrysler vehicle by then, the searingly honest account left an indelible impression.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 13:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Man behind the Mustang, Lee Iacocca dies at 94

Lee Iacocca, the former President of Ford and CEO of Chrysler, has died, aged 94. According to a media report, he died at his home in the Bel Air neighbourhood of Los Angeles, California.

R.I.P. Lee Iacocca-cmruju1dpxvnk7clgm52.png

Born on October 15, 1924, Iacocca got his Masters degree from Princeton and got a job as an engineering trainee at Ford. He later went on to become the President of the company. He was instrumental in building the first-gen Mustang, which created a new segment of affordable performance cars called 'pony cars'. He was fired from Ford after a scandal involving the Pinto's exploding fuel tank came to light.

Iacocca then moved to Chrysler and is credited with saving the company from bankruptcy. He introduced a minivan, which became a best-seller. He also introduced the Chrysler LeBaron convertible, which is reported to have saved the convertible segment. At the same time, Iacocca convinced the government to bailout the ailing brand, and by 1983, cleared all the company's loans.

Lee Iacocca was also the face of Chrysler commercials on TV, telling consumers “if you find a better car, buy it”.

Source: Jalopnik

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 3rd July 2019 at 13:10.
ChiragM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 13:54   #5
BHPian

RIP - father of the mustang! I had read his autobiography when I was in college and it was a true inspiration on how an individual can stand by his conviction of delivering what one believes in. There are very few folks like him today who can really claim success either in building a brand out of nothing or reviving a lost one. Hope he comes back in another avatar!
sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:01   #6
BHPian

Like many here, I got to know of him through his autobiography. Truly inspirational book about a man who has his fair share of ups and downs. I dont think there will be another CEO in the same mould as Mr. Iacocca. He truly belonged to that rare breed of polished diamonds. RIP.
VaidhiR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

RIP LEGEND.

His autobiography is a must-read for auto enthusiasts. https://www.amazon.com.au/Iacocca-Au.../dp/B004G8P2OG
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:49   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

One of the greatest the auto world has ever seen. RIP Mr. Iacocca. Thank you for bringing the Mustang to us, and for an exceptional book with many life lessons in it . I've read that book at least 3 times.

Lee was charismatic, colourful & controversial. He was perhaps the only self-made automotive CEO to become as famous as the blue blooded ones like Henry Ford or Ferdinand Piëch.

He liked Lamborghini so much that he bought the company!

GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:58   #9
BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Lee Iacocca

A true legend in every sense of the word. Somebody who left his mark on many generations through his work and the autobiography.

Sad, but inevitable. RIP

Most Viewed