Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Europe: Electric cars must make some noise!

According to a media report, all electric and hybrid cars sold in the European Union should get a noise-emitting device called Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS). The rule came into force on July 1, 2019, for all new cars introduced in the market. Existing cars should get the system by July 2021. Cars already on the streets could get retrofits.

Europe: Electric cars must make some noise!-dims.jpg

The system is designed to kick in when the car is driving at speeds below 20 km/h and when reversing. It has been introduced to warn pedestrians and cyclists to prevent them from being caught unawares. It is also expected to help people who are blind or partially sighted. Manufacturers are free to choose what kind of fake noise the car emits, but it should sound similar to a traditional combustion engine. The sound should also be synchronised with the vehicle speed.

The AVAS will also be fitted with a switch within reach of the driver to allow turning it on and off. However, by default, it will be in the on position when the car is started. For cars equipped with reversing sound warning devices, it is not necessary to activate the AVAS when reversing.

It is said that electric and hybrid cars are 40% more likely to be involved in an accident with other road users as they emit no noise. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the USA has also mandated that electric and hybrid cars should be equipped with similar devices for speeds up to 30 km/h by September 2020.

Source: engadget

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 15:46   #2
BHPian

re: Europe: Electric cars must make some noise!

A perfect example of the saying - 'Modern problems require modern solutions'.

While the headline of the article makes one think about it in a negative aspect, after reading into it, it makes complete sense.
DeepakS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
It has been introduced to warn pedestrians and cyclists to prevent them from being caught unawares. It is also expected to help people who are blind or partially sighted.
The reasons are genuine and no one can deny this.

When I am driving a diesel car, I rarely honk to alert a pedestrian because upon getting closer to them, they turn their head, realise that there is an approaching vehicle and then move aside. With Petrol car, I might just press the horn for a millisecond.

There can be so many examples like this where some level of noise means safety.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It nothing new as such, USA is actually leading with this kind of legislation.

One of the big challenges is, what kind of noise. Simulating an engine noise is not necessarily the most appropriate/effective way to make pedestrian/cyclist notice the car.

Several EVs in Europe could already be ordered with or without the noise option.

The legislation is set up pretty broadly and does not apply to only EVs. Also certain hybrid and fuelcell/hydrogen cars will come under this regime.

Basically, any vehicle that produces very low or no noise under 30 km/h will need to comply. It is not necessary to produce noise when at standstill, although it is allowed from a regulatory point of view.

Jeroen

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st July 2023 at 07:05. Reason: Minor typo.
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Basically, any verhicle that produces very low or now noise under 30 kh/h will need to comply. It is not necessary to produce noise when at standstill, although it is allowed from a regulatory point of view.

Jeroen
Is this regulation standardized? I guess not. Because I have noticed in Europe several petrol cars (specifically Hyundai) and not hybrid ones running below 30kmph hardly make any noise and I doubt sometimes if the engine is still running. They are super silent.
Especially noticed this many times in the parking lots when the drivers are hunting for parking space.

I haven't heard of any specifically induced noise in cars today to alert passerby.

Though NVH is a big concern for the Auto-Industry for several years now, super silent cars are a boon and is a great invention.
This reminds me of the lyrics ''Its a gift and a curse''

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Is this regulation standardized? I guess not. Because I have noticed in Europe several petrol cars (specifically Hyundai) and not hybrid ones running below 30kmph hardly make any noise and I doubt sometimes if the engine is still running. They are super silent.
Especially noticed this many times in the parking lots when the drivers are hunting for parking space.
As far as I understand it does not apply to car with IC engines, no matter how quiet they are! Although this is an EC rule, I am not sure it tell specifically what kind of noise needs produced, although I did see some noise levels being mentioned. It is actually at 20km/h (not 30 I mentioned earlier) it needs to produce 56dB

The rule comes into force as per 1st of July, but effectively will apply for future/new cars not yet EU type approved.

The Jaguar I-Paces for instance has had from the introduction AVAS (Audible Vehicle Alert system). I have not heard, apparently definitely not an engine noise, it also increases as the speed increases

BTW the same rules apply to commercial vehicle too, e.g. busses, vans etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever the noise from the AVAS, it will depend on battery power and will also drain the batteries.

Rather than draining the batteries using the AVAS, audio buffs could blare their favourite music on their favourite music systems (ICE) to announce their arrival on an electric car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd July 2019 at 17:28.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 00:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Manufacturers are free to choose what kind of fake noise the car emits.
Love that line!

Does anyone have any idea how high end audio installations which require a sizable amount of power will do the batteries?
Old 4th July 2019, 08:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's a related thread & poll - link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Does anyone have any idea how high end audio installations which require a sizable amount of power will do the batteries?
Don't think that's much of an issue anymore as OEM audio systems are so good that hardly any enthusiasts are getting after-market ones.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Re: Europe: Electric cars must make some noise!

Pardon me for going off topic, it reminds me of popular song of movie Om Shanti Om

All cool cars, common make some noise N say, Vroooom; Vroooom - N - Vruum.
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 11:13   #11
BHPian

Noise from vehicle engine is necessary.

First advantage - It alerts pedestrians who falls under high risk categories in case of an accident.

Second advantage - The driver will stay more alert as his/her audible senses are active and will prevent dozing off at wheels while driving. Yes, some might argue the fact that already ICE engines are quieter; and when you switch on the music even the faint engine noise that is present gets masked. But not everyone is accustomed to play music all the time while driving. And in such cases artificial noise may be helpful.

On a funny note, Maruti Suzuki cars of the future won't require such artificial noise as rattles will make up for it.
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Indian startup Revolt has already taken this to a different level by offering different types of bike sounds in their upcoming electric bike. The feature sounds interesting but in reality it will be funny to see a small electric bike making MotoGP sound at 30 kmph

Quote:
Biketone- Sound choice for the bike-4 inbuilt sounds plus option to download just like ringtones for phone. Harley, Bullet, KTM whichever you may fancy.
Link
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 17:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Indian startup Revolt has already taken this to a different level by offering different types of bike sounds in their upcoming electric bike.
You beat me to it. I was about to refer to the advertisement playing on TV nowadays.

So, probably in case of cars too, they'd try to simulate sounds of different supercars.
Old 5th July 2019, 09:03   #14
BHPian

The Times...They are a changing!!!

Earlier, with IC engines, engineers around the world toiled hard to SILENCE the noise from the engines via mufflers, silencers, cladding and what not. Now with electric cars, they need to reverse their learning and work towards these cars emitting some noise.

Just curious. How come suburban electric trains make noise when accelerating (the electric whirring noise) and electric cars dont? Aren't they based on the same AC/DC Motor Driving wheel via gearbox principle?

Last edited by racer_ash : 5th July 2019 at 09:10. Reason: typo
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 09:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The reasons are genuine and no one can deny this.

When I am driving a diesel car, I rarely honk to alert a pedestrian because upon getting closer to them, they turn their head, realise that there is an approaching vehicle and then move aside. With Petrol car, I might just press the horn for a millisecond.

There can be so many examples like this where some level of noise means safety.
Seriously? I drive a Vento diesel, you would agree it grunts like a tractor! Although very often while I am driving around my home where there are lots of offices and hence lots of pedestrians, they won't give a damn to the car noise and keep walking as if they are deaf! Sometimes while driving I already feel like I am driving an electric!!

Fun apart, to even think of such solution there is some common civic sense is expected from the people which prevails a lot in Europe, but India is a different territory!!

Last edited by Figopian : 5th July 2019 at 09:56.
Figopian is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed