Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 15:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Porsche plans to use virtual reality to combat car sickness

Porsche is looking to use virtual reality (VR) to combat motion sickness. Rear seat passengers can use VR headsets while the car is in motion.

Porsche plans to use virtual reality to combat car sickness-porsche-vr-ent.jpg

The VR headsets have sensors that are linked to the car and can adapt to the car in real time. The software uses a form of media specially designed for the application. When the car is being driven around a curve, the vehicle in the VR game will also change direction. The duration of the game can be changed depending on the duration of the journey. The system can play videos and can also be used for virtual conferences. Porsche claims that the technology reduces the symptoms of motion sickness.

Porsche plans to use virtual reality to combat car sickness-porsche-vr.jpg

The system is under testing and is being developed by Holoride. It is expected to make it into production cars in the next three years. Porsche and Holoride are expected to showcase the system at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show, which is scheduled to be held in September this year.

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 16:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Porsche plans to use virtual reality to combat car sickness

Ask me about the problem! Although I don't know if I ever in my lifetime will be able to afford a Porsche, but I know how grave this issue is. I cannot sit in the backseat of a car for more than 15-20 minutes without feeling car sick. Add twisty roads to the equation and I would prefer walking to my destination. This trait of mine is also carried if I ever happen to travel by bus, hence I actually never do; else I would get puking in no time.

I researched a lot online to know the reasons and solutions for the issue. The main reason attributed to this sickness was difference in what your eyes see and what your inner ear sensory mechanism input your brain. These conflicting signals result in getting many of us sick. And this is what the VR device in the opening post aims to correct by proving inputs to the brain through your eyes which is symmetrical to the bodily balancing signals of the inner ear, is what my guess is.

Read about about a lot of remedies like chewing a gum, reducing food intake before such journey, etc but for me nothing worked except getting out of the situation or taking an Avomine before starting the journey.

We have a thread discussing the same here on TBHP:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-car-sick.html (Do you get car-sick?)

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 17th July 2019 at 16:19.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 13:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Porsche plans to use virtual reality to combat car sickness

On the flipside, I expect a lot MORE problems.
Most of the VR headsets, by themselves, give me motion sickness - perhaps the technology has improved.

Most Viewed