Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 08:37   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China

There is no way something as ugly & weird as this is coming to India, guys. Hyundai knows this will drop like a bomb. Hyundai customises a lot of products for India, including their first ever car sold here (the 1st-gen Santro). Our facelift will look a lot different than this awkward Chinese version.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:06   #32
BHPian

Can't believe this is the same brand that had the best-looking cars. Even if I take into consideration the Indian-spec cars like the Accent, first-gen Santro, and most recently, the second-gen i20. This brand is becoming the common man's BMW.
It looks like Hyundai is using a customized version of the Faceapp that makes you look ugly instead of old.

Last edited by satrikon_454 : 19th July 2019 at 11:09.
Old 19th July 2019, 11:13   #33
BHPian

I beg to differ with the common sentiment here. As the saying goes, beauty is in the eyes of beholder. It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.
There has been many cars which were called ugly at the time of launch. However, we have also seen that the design grows on you and people have liked the car that they themselves called 'ugly' earlier.
Old 19th July 2019, 11:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is no way something as ugly & weird as this is coming to India, guys. Hyundai knows this will drop like a bomb. Hyundai customises a lot of products for India, including their first ever car sold here (the 1st-gen Santro). Our facelift will look a lot different than this awkward Chinese version.
+1

Hyundai is well aware and clearly positioned themselves for having delivered so far good looking vehicles in India. I do think we are jumping too soon.

Venue is almost challenging the European Designers in terms of curves & sleek cues. They really need to prop up Verna and hopefully they would take this into consideration.

Hyundai is already in a challenging situation in China with market share dropping south. They need alter to suit those customers. Again, lots of cues borrowed from Europe. Vertical, triangular shaped split in the fog lamp area is seen in BMW 1 in FWD architecture.
Old 19th July 2019, 11:41   #35
BHPian

AFAIK this is China specific model

The stretched Rear Combi Lamp is a trend in Chinese cars as is seen in the recently leaked BYD e3 sedan
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-byde3spyphoto2.jpg  

FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some drop-outs & rejects from DC design are at the helm at Hyundai these days!

Anyways, I seem to like the front appearance.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I will continue to hold my skepticism on this. Remember the Verna transform with its ugly droopy front that they launched in 2010, such an eye sore...
Old 19th July 2019, 13:07   #38
BHPian

Hyundai's fluidic version of 'Transform' facelift ?

Remember Hyundai Verna Transform ? . This facelift looks like in similar lines (Spoiling a good design in the name of facelift)
Old 19th July 2019, 13:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
There is no way something as ugly & weird as this is coming to India, guys..
You're right. As an example, in the CIAZ face-lift thread, Chinese Alivio was speculated as the possible successor of CIAZ, however the end product was much more toned down, and in line with the Indian consumer expectation (i.e. no radical/polarizing styling)
RaviK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 14:05   #40
BHPian

IMO this design would never end up in India, they would customize to Indian design taste. Being the second-largest automobile player in the country they would focus more on what works here rather than just getting what works in china.
Also, Verna has seen a huge dip in the specific segment, so a lot is riding on the design being right.

Hyundai - hope you're listening.
Old 19th July 2019, 17:58   #41
BHPian

Initially, it was the overdose of chrome. Now the transformer inspired design elements? I mean where's the design here? Looks scary to me. I would never give it a second look, let alone consider buying. I hope Hyundai skips this gen in India.
Why Hyundai Why?
Old 19th July 2019, 18:05   #42

They also ruined the beautiful looking 2018 Elantra with 2019 Elantra. Somethings up with them. Please don’t mess up the i20
Old 19th July 2019, 19:14   #43
BANNED

Let it be a hit in China if Chinese likes these designs and a flop in India if and only if Indians dislike this design. Who knows this may become a new design trend even in India, add some connected technologies and free internet, here is another best seller. People are lapping up for anything and everything which bears ‘some kind of’ technology jargon. Cars have now become more of a smartphone, than a car itself. No one is sad about the non-independent rear suspensions, but everybody are sad when there is no touch screen ICE. No, I am not sparing team-bhp members either, go through each of the threads here and you will get to understand what even an enthusiast really prefers.
Old 19th July 2019, 20:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

101% an ugly duckling from the stable of Hyundai. I am surprised, how Hyundai got such a marque design to ruin from its own hands. The Verna had a subtle charm, it was in fact a premium commandeering sedan, which almost looked lovely from every possible angle. This one seems like a half baked idea, where the designers ran out of fluidic design and hence born this ugly duckling.

C'mon Hyundai, you've always had the best design, the best equipment, the best quality, and all of a sudden you thew a Dhinchak Pooja on us (pun intended)

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 19th July 2019 at 20:54.
Old 19th July 2019, 22:45   #45
BHPian

The Verna here and the Vellfire (or Hellfire)in the other thread.... what are they trying to do?
Be outright obnoxious to get attention like some fashion trends nowadays?

I hope to God that the other manufacturers do not go the same way. At least I can't think of a Fiat or a Renault which will look so.... well, I can't seem to find the right word for how ugly it is !!!

Most Viewed