Team-BHP - American Onslaught : New GM's and Fords.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   American Onslaught : New GM's and Fords. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/21172-american-onslaught-new-gms-fords.html)

New cars from GM:

Pontiac G8.
Powertrain: Base : 3.6L V6 VVT 261bhp.
G8 GT 6.0L V8 Active Fuel Management System 362bhp 6 Speed A/T and M/T.
I like it. Looks great and seems to have good build quality as well. Trust me. I have seen the build quality on GM and Ford's in North America and boy do they suck!

Full Details: Pontiac G8

Saturn Astra : Yes, it is the European Astra. GM brings in it's Opel/Vauxhall Astra badged as Saturn - it's cheapest brand in North America!

Full Story: Saturn Astra

New Fords:

Clueless Ford of North America has decided to bring back the best selling sedan for 5 years in North America, the Taurus. They are also launching a 3 row, 7 passenger Taurus X, a crossover based on the Edge. I think Ford is totally confused because none of their sedans seem to be clicking with the people there.

Meanwhile, Mercury brings back the Sable brand in it's new sedan. BORING.

Full Details: Ford Taurus, Taurus X and Mercury Sable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit (Post 370010)
New cars from GM:

Pontiac G8.
Powertrain: Base : 3.6L V6 VVT 261bhp.
G8 GT 6.0L V8 Active Fuel Management System 362bhp 6 Speed A/T and M/T.
I like it. Looks great and seems to have good build quality as well. Trust me. I have seen the build quality on GM and Ford's in North America and boy do they suck!
Full Details: Pontiac G8

Its the new Commodore / HSV V8/Monaro/Lumina/ Lumina SS...newer version of the one I drive. Drove one around here and the finish is definitely better than those in current models (and the engine is marginally more powerful). However the cars are higher than the outgoing models and the vehicles look better in pics than in real life. I wish they brought out the new engine in the old body as well, but they're no Maruti/Skoda.

Build quality on the older model does leave a bit to be desired (rattly doors, power windows that stop working, remote locking that is very whimsical, squeaky plastics even if they are of good quality, eletrical relays that need to be replaced occassionally et al) but the engine has so far been ultra-dependable.

Signs of the times, GM aping Jap Honda and Kor Hyundai. The Civic steering wheel, even. The rest of the Pontiac's facia resembles a hard-working Hyundai's. But that 3.6 makes one forget abt material comforts - wily Americans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 370013)
But that 3.6 makes one forget abt material comforts - wily Americans.

The 3.6 isnt anything to write home about, especially given the weight of the car.

Its the 6.0 V8 that brings your horns and pointed tail out!:Cheering:

The Ford Taurus looks just like the refreshed (and full sized) Ford Five Hunderd/Mercury Montego. Or is it the same car and Ford has decided to drop the Five Hundred name (like in the Zephyr/MKZ case) Looks like the Fusion isnt doing the numbers the Taurus used to, even though it is a much superior product.

Ford officially announced at a media preview of the Chicago Auto Show that it will put its venerable Taurus name on an improved 2008 Ford Five Hundred sedan.

Source:
CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Dan Jedlicka :: Ford puts it in reverse when it comes to names

Quote:

Initially, the G8 will be imported from Australia. That's where GM's new global rear-wheel-drive architecture was developed under vehicle line executive Gene Stefanyshyn; he led the development of the Chevrolet Malibu, Opel Vectra, Pontiac G6 and Saab 9-3.
Production will move to North America after the Camaro goes into production at GM's assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario, late next year.

The Saturn brand also tapped GM's global resources for the 2008 Astra compact it introduced Wednesday. Developed at GM's German engineering center, the Astra will go on sale late this year.
Source:
GM pulls wraps off G8

Also:

Gm unveils its first hydrogen fueled SUV

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 370372)
Ford officially announced at a media preview of the Chicago Auto Show that it will put its venerable Taurus name on an improved 2008 Ford Five Hundred sedan.

Source:
CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Dan Jedlicka :: Ford puts it in reverse when it comes to names

Inspite of all the flak it drew, the Taurus was still the 3rd best selling sedan (though fleet sales was what was keeping the number up). Ford is trying to break away from the rental car image with the Fusion.