Team-BHP - Porsche competitors- Audi R4 & Audi R8
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Porsche competitors- Audi R4 & Audi R8 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/21195-porsche-competitors-audi-r4-audi-r8.html)

In-fighting at Volkswagen seems set to go public
, with the news that Audi is to directly challenge stable mate Porsche with a sports car called the R4 to compete in the same segment as the Porsche Boxster.

Automotive News reports that Audi – owned by Volkswagen – will launch the R4 in the same market segment as the Porsche sports car, having already announced the R8 sports car, which will compete with the Porsche 911.

Source:
Audi challenges Porsche with new sports car

Designed to compete with the likes of the 2009 BMW Z4 and its M-badged variants, the Audi R4 will be a strict two-seater and, much like it's larger sibling the R8, will have a mid-ship mounted engine (that's were we started glazing over). A few engine choices will be available, with the top slot being filled by a 300 HP V6. Although the mid-mounted engine placement would seem to imply that Audi is taking a shot at Porsche's Cayman and Boxter.AutoBild's sources maintain that those vehicles are not its intended competition[dont know whom to trust].

Source:
Rampant speculation: Audi R4 - Autoblog

Audi R8

Audi has unveiled the 2008 R8 — its first ever mid-engine sports cars. Sales will begin in the first half of 2007 for the United States and Europe. The car has a 420 horsepower high-revving V8 engine and all-wheel-drive. It uses the mid-engine Lamborghini Gallardo platform, and will somewhere between $80,000 and $110,000 — positioning it squarely against the BMW M6, Porsche 911, and Aston Martin Vantage

Source:
2007-2008 Audi R8 unveiled | Leftlane - Car News For Enthusiasts

Image source:
Audi R8: ïîäìåíà îðèåíòèðîâ

Now this i like, much rather have than the gayman or the coxster and even the Z4M..

I would love to see this come through..

BTW Audi is also looking into expanding "ODDLY"

A7 to compete with the CLS and RS7 or S7 for CLS63, now we talking some serious business..

I just want Audi to make slightly better looking designs(like this one) and then audi is going to fly from the dealerships..

Not too many people buy the Boxster cos of its attributes.....its because its the only Porsche they can afford. And a relatively cheap one at that. An Audi....I dont know.

Good to see Audi getting into the fray. About time too...

let the good times roll.....the more the merrier. I guess ownership of Lambo is giving Audi the confidence to try their hand at sportscars- they always had the engines and the tech (quattro, FSI, aluminium bodies and spaceframe etc.) guess it wa sonly a matter of confidence!

P.s. The R4 looks awsome, even if it looks like a cross between a Mazda RX8 and a Chrysler Crossfire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 370449)

IMHO, The R4 looks awesome, hmm porsche has competitionclap:
But that R8,:eek:, looks like an ugly combination of different cars, including 911, Audi TT, bugatti veyron,.....

Notice that the R8 comes with alloys similar to the ones on the Lambo's. :Shockked:

IMO the R4 looks better than the R8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 370708)
Notice that the R8 comes with alloys similar to the ones on the Lambo's. :Shockked:

IMO the R4 looks better than the R8.

i am not sure about the wheels part.
Yeah, the red R4 is hot. It could even compete with cayman not just boxter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 370627)
Not too many people buy the Boxster cos of its attributes.....its because its the only Porsche they can afford. And a relatively cheap one at that. An Audi....I dont know.

And because you can throw it around corners like anything, and still come out with a wide grin on your face.
Not sure how Audi will do on the handling department. They are good, but are they as good as a Porsche.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 370627)

Sorry GTO, but with all due respect that is a very suspect statement. That is like saying (most) people buy a Gallardo because they can't afford a Murcielargo.

The Boxster is an immensely capable car with a fantastic chassis. The S is punches way above its weight class and on anything but a straight will outperform only the best driven 911's of the same vintage. I have seen this true on plenty of occassions.

As to price: A 2001 996 with average miles costs around £28k (rule of thumb, obviously there are plenty of criteria invovlved). A 2003 boxster will cost you the same. Neither car benefits or loses out on age and the price is the same. Plenty of people choose the boxster over the 911 in a situation like this. While some people are desperate to get into a "badge" at the lowest possible price, I can assure you that plenty give the choice plenty of thought, drive both and choose the boxster.

Sure Advocatus, there is no denying the brilliance of the Boxster chassis (also in its application of the Cayman) and how capable it is. Applicable to most Porsches ever made.

But thats still not taking away from one of the reasons behind the Boxsters success i.e. an entry-level Porsche that brings the german marque within the reach of a much wider audience.

Badge counts. Whether with the Boxster, or the Merc C Class.

Quote:

In-fighting at Volkswagen seems set to go public, with the news that Audi is to directly challenge stable mate Porsche
When did Porsche become part of Volkswagen group ?? :S

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 (Post 371663)
When did Porsche become part of Volkswagen group ?? :S

Porsche AG does own 29.9% stake in VolksWagen.

Not sure about the exact figures but Porsche has about 27% stake in VW.

Dunno how many ppl know this, but the first ever R series Audi, the RS-2 Avant, was built in collaboration with Porsche....

;)