Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:39   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through

Recently we have seen some threads about how cars get serviced in India.
As some of you know, we live in the Netherlands at the moment.

This morning I took our Ford Focus to our local Ford garage, about 3 km from where we live. It needed a regular 40.000km service. I had made the appointment via Ford’s online booking system a few weeks ago. I thought I would share with what just happend as it was completely new to me:

Just now I received a text message from the Ford garage with this little video. Never experienced this before. It is a new service initiative I guess. Unfortunately, as you would expect it is all in Dutch.

Here is the gist of it:

The technician welcomes me, Goodmorning Mr. Dorrestein, introduces himself and then starts talking about the car. Nothing unusual under the hood. He will fill up the wiper reservoir and do an oil and oil filter change. Part of the regular 40K service.
Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through-j1capture.jpg

The rear wiper is leaving streaks, so he advises it to be replaced.
Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through-j2capture.jpg

Next he shows the brake pads, mentioned the thickness (6mm) and also talks about the rotors. All well within limits.
Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through-j3capture.jpg

He check the treads (Front 4mm, rear 5.8mm). He mentioned that legal minimum is 1.6mm, so this is more than sufficient
Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through-j4capture.jpg

As he shows the underside of the car, he also says, that nothing unusual has been found and shortly I will receive a call from the service advisor to get approval for the wiper replacement
Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through-j5capture.jpg

Quite a neat and innovative service. I like it!

https://mijnwerkplaatsvideo.nl/6d6b5...a1c5711b9a7309

The video will be deleted automatically after two months

Jeroen

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2019 at 17:19. Reason: Very cool! Adding screenshots since the link will cease to work soon :)
Jeroen is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:27   #2
BHPian

re: Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through

Wow! This is amazing. It would be so nice if all manufacturers around the world do this type of explanation. A big thumbs up for the Ford service.
jayguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through

Lovely initiative, and from the service provider's perspective it costs very little. too. Yet, the customer who may be sitting miles away can get a virtual demo of what is happening to his car during the entire service period. Really innovative, and useful at the same time.

Though given the number of cars in India, especially with the bigger players, this is really quite impossible to achieve for every single customer.
Old 22nd August 2019, 21:32   #4
BHPian

Re: Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Lovely initiative, and from the service provider's perspective it costs very little. too. Yet, the customer who may be sitting miles away can get a virtual demo of what is happening to his car during the entire service period. Really innovative, and useful at the same time.

Though given the number of cars in India, especially with the bigger players, this is really quite impossible to achieve for every single customer.
Actually, it can be done and will definitely save time as well. Video shot at the same time as checking for problems.
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 22:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to complete the story: I took my car in at 0745 this morning. I asked tohave it ready by early afternoon. This car is a lease car and part of the contract is a replacement car. So the service manager had another Ford ready for me. Our other Ford is a personal owned car. I would have to pay for a loaner, or, remember, this is the Netherlands, a free of charge loan bicycle.

I received this video around 11.00 o'clock and by 13.00 o'clock I got a text message advising me the car was ready. They had replaced the wiper. The lease company will always follow the dealers advice.

I drove over to my Ford garage, handed over the key of the loaner, got my own key back. The invoice goes straight to the leasing company. Had this been my own car I would have to settle the invoice in full before they would release the car.

Outside, my Focus was waiting for. All washed outside and vacuumed inside.

Good service, I will go back them in another 20.000km.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 21:19   #6
BHPian

Re: Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through

Had witnessed a similar thing in Stockholm as well. One of my colleague here has shown me the video his service advisor has sent. It was a Volkswagen though.

I was just dreaming when this would be the norm back in India . But currently I believe no Authorized service center does this and even dare to do this. All I saw in India is the 'Photography & Video recording prohibited' boards all over the service center's workshop. (I guess this is after the notorious video of 'Maruti' service being exposed by a dashcam). But I'm sure soon this would be a norm if one of the big players picks up. My bets would be on Toyota?

Last edited by G V Krishna : 29th August 2019 at 21:20. Reason: *Typo
G V Krishna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wish this system gets adopted in India! Here even the RE dealers act crazy!
During a DIY session, the Service advisor asked me to stop filming as it was against RE RULES!

Service advisors think themselves as Gods and that we are at their mercy.
Captain Slow is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

This is awesome!

I've never seen such level of service at a dealership anywhere in the US where you're insulated from the entire service process by a Service Advisor who deals with the other service personnel, which is pretty much the same deal as in India.

Mostly, insurance reasons & liability issues are cited.
Only on being insistent do you get to interact with the actual mechanics (or Service Technicians, as they're called) working on your car.

The larger the dealership, the lower the level of interaction is usually how it goes.
Smaller dealerships are much more liberal in this personal level of interaction but then they do get overwhelmed due to higher demand.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 00:56   #9
BHPian

Actually, this is not new. This has been like this in the US for more than a year now. For at least some of the brands. I had first seen with Audi since last year and up on enquiring, I came to know even Subaru does the same. Unfortunately, the video link has expired. But you can see the date the email was received.
Attached Thumbnails
Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through-screen-shot-20190829-1.22.08-pm.png  

Pontiac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 07:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its been same for me here in Australia, there was a video made for the service of my Mazda 3
Attached Thumbnails
Just a regular Ford Service in the Netherlands: Technician shares a video walk-through-mazda.jpg  

Old 30th August 2019, 10:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't that video be private for only the owner? Just my thought.

I think most mechanics in the first world are honest, whereas in India I can think of people trying to rip you off by selling you more extras. If you aren't there physically, they might take you for a ride.

Cheers
L

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th August 2019 at 11:01.
Old 30th August 2019, 12:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Shouldn't that video be private for only the owner? Just my thought.
L
Yes, but then again, it is very difficult to find a specific car on that website. It is literally hit or miss. Also, the video does not really show anything that would worry me. In the Netherlands anybody can check, free of charge, any registered Dutch car. And you get to see a lot of information, such as manufacturing date, MOT expiration date etc.

Here you see the sort of information available at the official Dutch RDW (They are the ones that manage registration and MOT)

https://www.kentekencheckonline.nl/r...teken=RH-935-D

What can not be shown, and is not shown is ownership and address, phone numbers. Everything else is in the public domain

Jeroen
Old 30th August 2019, 14:03   #13
NTO
BHPian

Had Similar experience with Toyota in India. I am sure the numerous Toyota Owning BHPians would've had similar experiences.

I was using my ex-boss's Toyota Fortuner 4WD AT for a while when he had purchased a new Cayenne. The Fortuner never moved out of the garage for over a month. I used the Fortuner until the new car lust faded for him and Gurgaon showed it's true color after severe rains in July - August.

The car was due for service before I borrowed so, I promised him that I'd get the vehicle serviced and then use it until he wants it back.

This was my experience. It was a 50K kms service for the fortuner. I booked the service online for a Saturday morning. I went in, gave my appointment/ booking number, the car was picked up by a driver and parked in a service bay.

A service advisor was assigned and his name and contact number were SMSéd to me while I was waiting at the customer Lounge sipping Chai.

In 15 minutes, the service advisor came to the lounge and showed a report of the checks that were performed in a tablet. I approved all that required change and additional concerns were highlighted. Based on the report, an estimated time was automatically generated and I was told to pick up the car at 5PM in the evening.

I got an SMS at 3:30 PM from Toyota that the vehicle is ready with the bill amount and a link to view the invoice of work carried out on the car.

Other than this, I have accompanied many of my friends for the service of their vehicles spanning multiple brands. The experience has never been so seamless including my own cars, Honda, Fiat and VW!
Old 30th August 2019, 15:43   #14
BHPian

Such video update was provided FNG, Carsmith Motors, in Koramangala Bengaluru. They used to send videos of Oil change, Brake pad status and other such stuff. I quite liked their service.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 10:09   #15
BHPian

This is a great idea for FNGs to build their reputation and create a long term customer base.
This will surely earn trust and respect for them .

Most Viewed