Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla launches its own insurance plan

Tesla has launched its own insurance plan, known as Tesla Insurance, which provides comprehensive coverage and claims management. It is claimed to offer up to 20% lower rates and in some cases, up to 30% lower prices. At present, it is offered only to Tesla owners in California.

Tesla launches its own insurance plan-tesla-s.jpeg

The company claims that they understand the vehicles, technology, safety and repair costs better than traditional insurance companies. Tesla says that its pricing policy takes into account Tesla's active safety and advanced driver assistance features, which help them reduce insurance costs.

According to a report by Jalopnik, insurance companies have said that they do not have enough data that validates claims that driver assistance systems reduce accidents. They do not have information to tell them if the ADAS system kicked in before a crash, or if it helped prevent one. On the other hand, Tesla has this information. Tesla also claims that they do not use vehicle data like GPS or camera footage when pricing insurance.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 3rd September 2019 at 15:50.
ChiragM is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tesla launches its own insurance plan

A few weeks ago an Dutch article was published on Tesla accidents repair here in the Netherlands.

It seems Tesla owners have more accidents per year than their peer group. Most Tesla's are leased and are basically Company cars. So they are comparing to similar cars in the similar lease category.

Also, the average repair on a Tesla works out more expensive.

Whereas I can understand why Tesla repairs work out to more expensive, I do not know/understand why Tesla drivers would have more accidents than their peer group. Neither did the article come up with an explanation.

But the bottom line is that Tesla's, If the same applies to other countries, will become relative more expensive to insure

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:57   #3
BANNED

Makes sense. Insurers do not have a clue as to how much they should charge. Technology is totally unknown. What the breakdown rates, and costs of repair will be. So Tesla starting it off is a good thing.
Old 6th September 2019, 13:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
the average repair on a Tesla works out more expensive.

Whereas I can understand why Tesla repairs work out to more expensive, I do not know/understand why Tesla drivers would have more accidents than their peer group. Neither did the article come up with an explanation.
One of the reasons can be excessive use of Glass. In places where they use salt/ gravel to clear snow, this can be a major factor. This happened to a week old Model 3 of a known. Though it can happen to any other vehicle on windscreens, Tesla models have large glass roof/ rear windscreen.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla launches its own insurance plan-whatsapp-image-20190906-1.35.37-pm.jpeg  

Old 6th September 2019, 14:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
One of the reasons can be excessive use of Glass. In places where they use salt/ gravel to clear snow, this can be a major factor.
Could be, although gravel/salt as such is not a big thing in the Netherlands. Typical gravel/grit damage to glass is easily repairable.

I suspect that all replacement parts on a Tesla could be relative expensive. Cost price is down to volume and there are a very few Tesla's around compared to other Brands/Type. The other thing in Europe is labour. Labour cost on a repair job, could easily be more than the parts alone. So it makes me wonder if Tesla design was really thought through in terms of also being able to do repairs afterwards?

But the most puzzling part remains why Tesla driver appear to have more accidents than the peer group. One reason could be, Tesla drivers, for whatever reason, are just lousy drivers. But then again these drivers prior to stepping into a Tesla were probably driving a Mercedes/BMW/Audi. And somehow managed to have fewer accidents. Very strange

Jeroen
Old 8th October 2019, 17:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Further to my earlier comments on Tesla’s repairs being more expensive, I have a few more insights.

Today I picked up my Jaguar from my local repair shop. My Jaguar was in need of some repairs, unfortunately. See https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4660270

I noticed this very sad looking Tesla on their parking lot:

Tesla launches its own insurance plan-img_1649.jpg

So I asked them about the high repairs cost of Tesla

They confirmed: There are several reasons for this:

Tesla has very detailled repair instructions, as a BOVAG member (sort of a professional body) they are obliged to adhere to any repair guidelines provided by the manufacturer. For instance, any paint damage to a bumper, according to Tesla instructions will require a 100% respray of the full bumper. These days with modern spray techniques that is simply not required anymore.

Also, a lot of the car is made of aluminium, which is always difficult to repair, so very often it is just replaced without second thoughts. Apparently, it takes quite some time to ensure the car is safe to work on, much more than just disconnecting the battery in a regular car, or even other hybrids.

Parts are expensive and come with long lead times. They said on average 3-4 weeks to get the parts. Which on any mainstream car in the Netherlands is unheard of. Any part of just about any other car, will be delivered to any repair shop anywhere in the Netherlands within 3-4 hours!

Part of the problem might stem from the fact that this is a US designed car. Car repair in the USA is pretty sloppy and rudimentary in many cases, if a repair shop is left to its own devices. So it appears they have gone overboard and made the instructions very detailled, but have not really kept up with modern repair methods this side of the pond.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks